Stone plinths under speakers on sideboard?

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I have Proac Response 1SCs sitting about 2m apart on a long sideboard, made from scaffold planks on a heavy steel frame. The speakers are currently Blutac-ed in place. I'm getting a slightly upleasant mid-bass resonance that I'm pretty sure is coming from the planks, as (perhaps unsurprisingly) I can feel them vibrating while music is playing. Linn Space Optimisation has reduced this somewhat, but the resonance is muddying the sound.

I wondered if placing a heavy slab of 5cm thick paving stone (sandstone, limestone etc) on rubber feet between the speakers and sideboard might solve this. Ideally I'd get speaker stands, but space won't allow and my girlfriend hates the look of them.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

J

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Consider Auralex Acoustics MoPADs as a cheapy solution which won't leave you poverty-striken if they don't work in your case, also consider part-ex'ing your girlfriend for one which is compatible with your hobby.

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Thanks everyone - that other thread is really helpful.

Isolation pads seem like a good idea. Though I wondered if, due to their squishiness (I'm sure there's a more technical term), they would allow the bass driver to move the speaker cabinet in use, which might muddy the image and bass tightness.

Is that fear ill-founded?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My first choice would be the Auralex product.

If you have very cheap paving lying around, then it would be worth trying...but it would work better with Sorbothane feet from the likes of Milty/Deflex.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SORBOTHANE-ANTI-VIBRATION-FEET-11-19-25-30-40-50mm-Turntables-Speakers-PCs/290971718688?hash=item43bf441420:m:mI8dBUCD6u3Uq_sCRn4HYyQ

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
jas0_0 said:
Thanks everyone - that other thread is really helpful.

Isolation pads seem like a good idea. Though I wondered if, due to their squishiness (I'm sure there's a more technical term), they would allow the bass driver to move the speaker cabinet in use, which might muddy the image and bass tightness.

Is that fear ill-founded?

Use the squishy pads under the stone as feet (to isolate it from the wood).....choose the correct size for the weight involved.

...but...it's always worth experimenting with where you put the squishy pads ie. try under Speakers

D

Deleted member 160668

I’ve used mopads and also polipods (sorbethane). For a flat surface the mopads are better imo.

Curently use polipods under granite plinths under floorstanders. Overkill I know!

in old flat used mopads onto custom shelves with bookshelf speakers on. Next to zero transmition to shelves - very effective indeed.

Thats what i’d go for in your situation.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Black ravioli might do the job

th

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mond said:
They have been selling the original stuff off cheaper recently if you look around, I know because I bought some :)

I use the Original pads, which I got at a discount...and rate what they do under my Linn DS. I didn't like the effect of the dearer stuff.

jas0_0

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
This is really helpful information. I'll start experimenting with the most cost effective options and work my way up from there.

Always such great advice here - thanks to you all.

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

I have Proac Response 1SCs sitting about 2m apart on a long sideboard, made from scaffold planks on a heavy steel frame. The speakers are currently Blutac-ed in place. I'm getting a slightly upleasant mid-bass resonance that I'm pretty sure is coming from the planks, as (perhaps unsurprisingly) I can feel them vibrating while music is playing. Linn Space Optimisation has reduced this somewhat, but the resonance is muddying the sound.

I wondered if placing a heavy slab of 5cm thick paving stone (sandstone, limestone etc) on rubber feet between the speakers and sideboard might solve this. Ideally I'd get speaker stands, but space won't allow and my girlfriend hates the look of them.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

J
Try bedding the stone on silicone. I used to 'glue' mantel pieces on with it, and if customers queried it I'd challenge them to shift it, after three day's curing. Big tube applied in a circle so you get the benefit of a vacuum effect. You may need temporary wedges to level until cured. I used it under my speakers, whilst the spikes took the weight. I couldn't feel any resonance coming down my (sand filled) budget stands. It can be removed easily from stone and smooth surfaces.

Gray

Try bedding the stone on silicone. I used to 'glue' mantel pieces on with it, and if customers queried it I'd challenge them to shift it, after three day's curing. Big tube applied in a circle so you get the benefit of a vacuum effect. You may need temporary wedges to level until cured. I used it under my speakers, whilst the spikes took the weight. I couldn't feel any resonance coming down my (sand filled) budget stands. It can be removed easily from stone and smooth surfaces.
The original post was 6 years ago, so he's probably sorted his problem out by now......hopefully by losing the girlfriend that he seemed to think would have preferred paving slabs on the sideboard to speaker stands 👍

Please check the date of threads before posting, this one is ancient.
There was a time when resurrecting ancient threads was again forum rules.

Last edited:

Fandango Andy

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

J

Is is resonance or just vibration? Either way the slab will probably make it sound worse. You need to isolate the speakers the best you can. I can see others have suggested pads and feet. The other option is the old DIY way of doing it. Get some squash ball, cut them in half and put one under each corner of your speakers. I have done this on an old oak desk in my bedroom, it makes huge difference.

Is is resonance or just vibration? Either way the slab will probably make it sound worse. You need to isolate the speakers the best you can. I can see others have suggested pads and feet. The other option is the old DIY way of doing it. Get some squash ball, cut them in half and put one under each corner of your speakers. I have done this on an old oak desk in my bedroom, it makes huge difference.
Pointless response, in my opinion, this thread is ancient and the forum member you are replying to hasn't been seen since 2019.....

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Gadusmorhua

Jan 19, 2024
Visit site
The original post was 6 years ago, so he's probably sorted his problem out by now......hopefully by losing the girlfriend that he seemed to think would have preferred paving slabs on the sideboard to speaker stands 👍
Sorry, I can hardly see my screen. Out of interest, is this a male-dominated hobby? I suppose it is, looking at posts here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts