Looking for front ported speakers that go low. Budget = 5000 for amp+speaker

Milton_Friedman

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I'm looking for front ported bookshelf speakers with DEEP bass extension, budget: 5000$ for amp+speakers

Any recommendations for bookshelf speakers that are front ported that:

-Are front ported or sealed or just don't have the port in the back
-Are fun and musical
-Have deep bass extension

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
May I interest you in a pair of Devialet Phantoms?

They are sealed but, as we do not have more details regarding the place where you plan to position your speakers, might not be suitable due to their side-firing woofers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Have you heard the Phantoms, EvPa?

I'm asking because I don't know how accurate my highly provisional impression of them is.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Event Opal - $3000 pair + $2000 left for nice pre amp.. big, quality bass.. front ported active speakers.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
And how do the Silver Phantoms sound to your ears in your room with your test tracks? What's good, bad and indifferent about them?

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
lindsayt said:
And how do the Silver Phantoms sound to your ears in your room with your test tracks? What's good, bad and indifferent about them?

I am not really one to wax lyrical about stuff; the best way I could put it is that I love how they sound.

I listen to a quite diverse range of music, mostly classical, jazz, blues, folk, eurobeat, various pop things, séga and maloya (the last two are local music genres) but almost anything goes.

No complaints about midrange and high frequencies (people used to electrostatic speakers might think different, but unfortunately I am not familiar with such setups, only heard a few times), I am used to ADAM Audio's X-ART tweeters but certainly did not feel any kind of "downgrade" with the "limited" tweeter frequency response (which is in ultrasonic territory anyway...).

Now, regarding the lower end of things, the bass is simply great, whatever I throw at them (contrabass, pipe organ, the aforementioned eurobeat...). They go down to approximately C0 but I would need to do some additional testing.

Oh, and the do not move or vibrate at all whatever music you are listening to (including at what I would consider "insane" volume).

The only issue is their Spark control software, which has a few bugs from time to time (not really anything major), and most issues have already been fixed (version 1.1.2.4 was released yesterday for Android and seems very stable). The hardware is great, the software maybe a bit less so.

Software issues were/are a bit of a letdown, with a feel that the Phantoms might have been released a bit too early but one has to keep in mind that they have only been for sale in two cities (three places in Paris and one in London) up to now, most of those issues have been addressed before the actual large-scale release which is planned sometime this month.

Oh, there is also a slight audio delay (apparently due to DSP) if you are watching TV or a movie so it might pose a problem depending on how sensitive you are to this sort of stuff; Devialet's people are working on fixing/limiting this.

Of course this is not an issue if you only use them for music duties.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that EvPa. I think I need to listen to the Phantoms again, with them set up in a room that suits them. So that I can make a better assessment of their merits and demerits.

rainsoothe

Try ATC SCM 19 curved + Hegel H80, Roksan K3, Arcam A39, Rega Elicit R, Naim Nait XS2 or second hand Naim Supernait 2 (or even Supernait). Or ATC's own integrated amp, if you can find a good deal on one (ATC SIA2-150 mk II)

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
giphy.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts