Little help - Best way to wire up my new system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

I'm a little bit of a novice when it comes to Home Cinema setups and just need some advice to wire up my system.

Ive got a UE46C8000 TV, Onkyo TSR608, Samsung BDC6900 Blue ray and SKY HD box

I'm assuming i will be ok to connect these all up with HDMI cables (I have 1.4 HDMI's), however do i need to be using any optical cables? Or will optical cables help improve the sound if used in addition to HDMI's?

Thanks

Andy

A

Anonymous

HDMI if you want lossless audio formats like DTS-HD and TrueDD im pretty sure optical cant output these formats because of the amout of data that is transferd (have looked at this recently)

Audio signal
Digital audio bitstream. Originally limited to 48 kHz at 20 bits. Extended to support all modern formats, except Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD, and DTS HD audio streams.

From wiki' for optical cable spec, Just so you can compare; HDMI cable specs

Audio signal
LPCM, Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, DTS-HD Master Audio, MPCM, DSD, DST

Video signal
480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1440p, 1600p, 2160p, etc.

Data signal
Yes

Bandwidth
10.2 Gbit/s (340 MHz)

cwalduck

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

SKY box will require HDMi for picture and optical for audio, Bluray just requires the HDMI.

Optical connections don't have enough bandwidth to carry HD audio SKY dosn't transmit HD audio its maximum audio quality is only DD5.1.

Enjoy your new setup

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts