Lean, fast & precise Amp + Speaker combo? Any recommendations?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to spend about £550 on an Amp + Speaker combo. Will be used predominantly for MP3 music, though also connected to a DVD (rather than CD) player for occassional movie watching.

It needs to be an all-rounder, but preference is for one that is clear-sounding, lean & fast (as opposed to warm). Big bass is not important, though bass should be precise.

I'm no expert, but surprisingly I didn't like the (highly rated) Dali Lektor 1 speakers all that much, preferring the similarly priced Kef IQ speakers. Much better sounding to me than both of these, though, were the active Dynaudio MC-15. But these are a bit expensive for me and I'd rather connect my ipod + dvd player into a separate amp than having to plug them into both active speakers. Are there any amp + passive speaker setups for £550+/- that will have a 'similar' kind of super-clear, precise sound to these Dynaudios?

Any advice from anyone would be much appreciated! Cheers,

Chris

T

the record spot

I hear the Audiolab 8000s is apparently quite lean, some of the Cyrus amps likewise. The 8000s is available for under £300 (from £600) and if you can find a dealer that's got them, the Acoustic Energy AE22 Passives at £400 will give you a very forward and precise sound (it's nearer to a studio monitor than anything).

Check thereviews on here; this may not be exactly what you have in mind, but there's nothing wrong coming in picking left field!

One assumes with your budget that you're happy to go s/h or ex-dem. I agree with record spot, the audiolab can be had for £££'s off the normal RRP, although I'm not sure Cyrus entry-level stuff would acknowledge that budget.

Sure, if you had more money to spend, the Cyrus would be the obvious choice along with, maybe Epos M5 speakers.

A

Anonymous

chrisdj:clear-sounding, lean & fast (as opposed to warm). Big bass is not important, though bass should be precise.

I'll name that speaker in one - Epos. If you get lucky, you may be able to still be able to pick up some end of line M5s. The new M5is are in the region of £350, I think, which wouldn't leave much budget for the amp. Unless you're willing to go second hand.

A

Anonymous

Thanks record spot, plastic penguin & tractorboy! they were really helpful comments for a beginner like me :)

The Cyrus' are gonna be over my budget, but the Audiolab 8000s seems a very promising option (£264 on Hifx.com). I'm concerned, though, about having both amp+speaker components "lean", as Epos M5 or AE22 speakers are described...

Another potential is Mordaunt-Short Mezzo 2 (£330 on Hifx), any idea how these compare? Although all these are pushing my budget :) ..and as a beginner I'm not so keen on going down the 2nd-hand route.

One solution for whichever of these speakers is partnering them with the cheaper Marantz PM6002 (£200 on Hifx). Better or worse than partnering with the Audiolab 8000s?

...though a lingering concern with amp+speaker setups going much over my £550 budget is that they'll be limited by my compressed MP3 source (mostly compressed at VBR 256kbps+).

anyway, thanks for your comments so far and any further thoughts much appreciated!

T

the record spot

Secondhand can be absolutely fine if you go to an independent dealer - some offer at least a 3 or 6 month warranty and others as much as 1 year, so you do get some peace of mind. Your money goes further too - my Cyrus suggestion was based around getting a used Cyrus amp. Depending on where you are in the UK, you might be well served for used kit from local dealers. London obviously does very well for hifi shops, but Peterborough, Edinburgh, York, Brum, Nottingham, Newcastle and Glasgow are pretty good too.

Don't discount it: Loud and Clear in Edinburgh have (for example) have a NAD C352 BEE for £199 down from £325. Not bad when you see what some of these go for on Ebay. And it's a great shop into the bargain!

But there is also the undeniable appeal of buying new! In which case, yes, Cyrus gear would blow your budget (unless you get a deal - see Lintone Audio, Vickers Hi-Fi, etc).

A

Anonymous

chrisdj:I'm concerned, though, about having both amp+speaker components "lean", as Epos M5 or AE22 speakers are described...
Yup, that could be an issue. Demoing a combination before buying is pretty much essential, which in itself may narrow down your options, depending on how well off you are for dealers in your area.

chrisdj:as a beginner I'm not so keen on going down the 2nd-hand route.

Very wise in my personal opinion. Although Record Spot's suggestion of going through a dealer will limit the risks somehwhat.

chrisdj:
One solution for whichever of these speakers is partnering them with the cheaper Marantz PM6002 (£200 on Hifx). Better or worse than partnering with the Audiolab 8000s?
Don't know, but I have the M5s with the PM6002 and I like the sound a lot.

chrisdj:...though a lingering concern with amp+speaker setups going much over my £550 budget is that they'll be limited by my compressed MP3 source (mostly compressed at VBR 256kbps+).
Yup, I think you're right to be concerned. I would say that after a certain point, the better amp and speakers you get, the worse those 256 recordings will start to sound.

A

Anonymous

if on a bit of a budget amp wise, nothing would come close to an an old pioneer a400 off ebay £60-£150

A

Anonymous

cheers for all responses, when i get the chance will definitely audition some of these recommendations!

A

Anonymous

Look for used AVI ADM9's. I swapped a Cyrus font end (transport and DAC-X), Bel Canto amplification and Dynaudio speakers for the ADM 9.1s and the AVIs are better for a lot less. For computer based/ipod music it's a no brainer. You'd get a used pair for c. 600 quid Id imagine

edit - to confirm, the AVI ADM9's are active speakers with built in pre-amp and DAC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts