Lady needs expert help please!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I have recently come into the world of hifi separates and would love some advice on the following:

Currently own:

Yamaha CRX170 CD/DAB receiver, Teac DVDDab300 receiver, Jamo E825 speakers

Cables: QED XT spk and Audioquest Tpaz interconnect

I am using the Teac as my main amplifier and yamaha for the CD and DAB. I want to improve the sound quality but have a limited budget. I have seen the Marantz PM4001OSE amplifier for half the original RRP. Is this a good amp to partner with the Yamaha and Jamo above?

Many thanks for your assistance

K

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The Marantz will certainly sound better than either of the systems you have, but if you were going down this route I'd suggest you also consider a standalone CD player, such as the Marantz CD5001. Otherwise I think the limitations of the systems would mask the benefits of the amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Whatever you buy, don't play Madonna's latest single on it, that will ruin it for you...................
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the advice.

I like a wide expressive soundstage which I hope the marantz will give me. I've read that marantz can sound quite lively but I hope this will not make the sound too harsh - can you advise?

K

A

Anonymous

hi kavita and welcome to the forum. i cant help with the marantz query but i will say that if you are able to tell us what kind of budget you have and what your musical tastes are then others here will be more able to assist you.

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I have a budget of £200 and have seen the Marantz CD pm5001ose and Amp 4001ose advertised within this budget.

My musical tastes are varied: Rock, Dance, Hip Hop, Pop -usually mainstream chart stuff. Sorry if this does not warrant such good HiFi components!

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kavita"]
Hi All,

I have a budget of £200 and have seen the Marantz CD pm5001ose and Amp 4001ose advertised within this budget.

My musical tastes are varied: Rock, Dance, Hip Hop, Pop -usually mainstream chart stuff. Sorry if this does not warrant such good HiFi components!

Many thanks

[/quote]

Yep, Marantz sounds good! The Marantz also goes pretty loud for its power output, so should make the walls shake with rock!

T

the record spot

[quote user="kavita"]
Hi All,

Many thanks

[/quote]

Don't think you can go wrong with these two; fine build, good sound and should do the job. Not sure how they will pair up with the speakers, but you have a handful of excellent options in the £100-£120 speaker bracket to think about if you feel like changing those later on (Tannoy Mercury F1 and F2, Q Acoustics 1010 and 1020, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s, being the usual suspects at this price level).

Sounds like you've picked up a good deal there Kavita - enjoy!

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Thanks really for all the help and advice given! I just took delivery of the Marantz CD5001OSE. Already I am hearing a marked improvement from the Yamaha CD player - though I was advised that the sound will open up even more after an initial burn in period of 1 week. Why so?

Question:do I really need the Amp? - I don't listen to music too lound and my room is only 12x12. What are your thoughts?

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I took delivery of the Marantz pm4001OSE amp this weekend. Paired with the Marantz Cd50012ose system sounds a bit warm and recessed.

Can someone tell me how long it will take to open up and paint a more vivid soundstage? I use the audioquest topaz interconnect which is quite a few years old and had a good review back in the late 90's. Do all the elements in my system make it better than my old system? As a test I hooked up the Yamaha to the Marantz Amp and straight away it sounded more lively than the Marantz cd though the bass was not as tight as the Marantz. I still use the Dab radio on the Yamaha because it is very good at locking stations and sounds ok too but again was a tad /warm/recessed than the Teac/Yamaha system.

Many thanks

T

the record spot

Couple of options there Kavita; give it a run in and see what you think in a week or so. Check what the arrangement is with the dealer (they might exchange?) but failing that if they don't exchange, check some interconnects which are known for a bright but full sound. I had Audioquest Turquoise which were full and warm, so you might want something with more attack.

I don't know what the Jamo's are like, but you maybe need to let your ears become accustomed to what you now have compared to the old system. Failing that, maybe you need something a little brighter and with a bit more oomph in the speakers. Give it time though and see how it goes. Check with the dealer too however; they may be sympathetic!

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

I have given the system a week run. Generally the sound is smooth and slightly detailed as commented by reviewers.

I have a budget of £50 to upgrade the cables. Can anyone suggest a good middle of the road interconnect to open up the sound without any harshness in the treble whilst retaining the deep bass - maybe add in a touch of aticulation in the low end too!

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

QED quinex 2 is a good all rounder, lets the top end through and has quite tight bass control too, I loved it, might give you the extra zing you are after.
eg:
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2012

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

The Qunex 2 is getting on a bit. I've seen the Quenex 3 advertised - is this as good as the old version?

Many thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts