Will an AV receiver suit my needs?

Hi

i am looking at ditching my old system in favour of a modern AV receiver to bring it up to date.

I currently have:

Technics SA-DX950 running surround sound through a Jamo A 102 HCS 6 speakers

Technics SU-C909U and SE-A909S running my PC sound, CD player, DAB tuner and cassette deck through Jamo X550/X530.

I want to sell it all and buy a Yamaha RX-A850 and have everything connected to that instead, I plan to ditch the Jamo 5.1 set and get the centre speaker to run my X series speakers on it.

Now for the probably stupid questions

Can I run a CD player, DAB tuner, tape deck etc through that AV receiver? I have looked at the unit and it only seems to only have A/V inputs so can I connect audio equipment to it?

I quite fancy a new Yamaha CD player and tuner as well and they have a coaxial digital audio out can that receiver accept that input?

is an AV receiver even any good for listening to music? Is there a mode where you can just listen to the front speakers and maybe the sub when just listening to music?

Im not sure what I want is plausible but I just want all my AV equipment and all my audio equipment going into one amp for convenience and to save a little space.

thanks

1) Yamaha RX-A850 has inputs for phono, coaxial as well as optical. I've never had a tape deck or DAB tuner, but if they have these connections, then yes you can.

2) Yes, you will be able to connect the CD player.

3) Yamaha is brilliant for music, you should demo before purchase. There is a "Pure Direct" mode for superior stereo performance. I don't think you can play the sub as well in this mode, I may be wrong.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts