Help & suggestions required for a novice please!!

Lester Sound

May 30, 2014
Visit site
HiI am looking for some useful and helpful advice regarding Hi Fi Seperates please. I am new to this site and am a complete novice with regards to this equipment.I bought various seperates in the 1990's which have had only low use over-all. I love to play rock music mainly. My system comprises of the following old units:Rega Planar 2 turntable, Rotel RCD965BX CD player, Arcam Alpha 6 r/c Amplifier, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, JPW Sonata speakers (70W).Yes the equipment is quiet old!! My Arcam amp is now playing up. Turning the volume button does not work properly, the volume jumps from very low to extremely high - sometimes without even touching the dial and sometimes it is very "crackly" when you turn the dial.Firstly, i didn't know if my amp could be repaired?Secondly, can anyone suggest a good replacement if it can't be repaired. These days as a family man with mortgage etc i only have limited funds, but am missing my music!! Will a new amp have all the connectors on the back for my old equipment?Thirdly, another option i was considering...can i get an amp with Ipod dock and/or DAB tuner? Just thinking in case i get an Ipod one day soon! I appreciate all your comments. The independent store i originally went too has now gone and i don't know where to start other than to pop into a branch of Richer Sounds or something. Thanks in advance

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Wow you are new. Just now new lol.

Welcome. Just a word of warning you'll get all sorts on here saying defferent things. Arguments may happen but not because of you. Threads tend to go astray from the original question.

Anyway I don't mean to put youo off. We are nice honest.

Sounds like you got some nice kit there. It's pretty easy these days to go on the site of a particular manufacturer and look at pictures of the back of amps and such to see if a new one will take you old kit. It may just be better to get a new one as in theory they should be much better now and if you want to connect an iPod in the future there are plenty out there. If youo are still using your record deck then of course you want an amp with a good phono stage in it. I'll let the Vinyl guys tell youo more about that as I'm a CD guy.

The issue with the volume knob might be dirt in the system. I have a Denon with a similar kind of issue. I tried contact cleaner which helped a bit but its all to tightly packed in to really get to it. If youo want to try getting someone to repair it you might save it if they are good an don't charge you the earth. You may want to ask the rough cost an wiegh that up against a new one.

You can always go a try some different ams in a Richer sounds demo room and make your mind up that way.

Let us know what you settle with once youo've had more responce.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Unless you can get a mate to repair the amp, then this can get expensive. I suspect that a simple repair to the volume control could be made, but labour costs can quickly make that almost as expensive as a new one. I would second the Richer Sound recommendation. I have used them before and they are no frills and honest. There is some decent good value kit around which they will be happy to help you with.

Lester Sound

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the option of a new one maybe. Will be a couple of weeks before i can get into a shop though so an update maybe some time coming!!

Thanks Again for all comments

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts