Just wondering what you would do

Oxfordian

If anyone has been watching YT in the last week you may have seen that Acoustic Sounds in the USA have bought a record collection from a collector in Oregon, there are apparently approx 10,000 LP's involved, a mixture of Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock music, there are a good number of highly sought after still sealed box sets from various artists within the collection.

But perhaps the highlight among the collection are some complete (or all but complete) limited edition, numbered, jazz collections still unopened, factory sealed, the jackets and vinyl untouched by human hand since being bagged up a good few years ago, these collections are being sold as individual complete collections and not as individual LP's, the price for 3 of these complete collections range from $17,500 USD through to $21,500 USD, and I think that tax may have to be added but I'm not sure how USA tax is applied.

I don't have that kind of money to splash out on a collection of mint, factory sealed, LP's but my hypothetical question is this;

You are now the proud owner of one of these Jazz Collections, the LP's are there in your listening room, your hifi is nicely warmed up and the TT is all set to receive it's next piece of vinyl to play, would you open one of the mint LP's from the collection or would you leave them intact and play something from your existing collection?

Me?

Well I would open, clean and then play them, the LP's were made to be played.

You?

Reactions: nopiano
That’s the irony of very expensive old things. Similar with cars - which were obviously meant to be driven. But Uber-rare ones get put in an air-conditioned garage and polished instead. The really wealthy owner still races them when they can, and to hell with it!

With those LPs you’ve either got to buy them as an artefact to be preserved, or as something otherwise missing from your collection and play them.

Are any of them actually that rare, or is the new, unopened thing all that’s unique about them?

Reactions: Oxfordian

matthewpianist

I'd walk away without hesitation.

Buying music can easily become more about collecting than about actually engaging with the music itself, and the prospect of buying any format of any age and doing so just to be able to say I own it is ridiculous to me. I've got a very sizeable CD collection. Some of it is listened to regularly, but I've recently been going through it and found more than a few things I may have listened to once, and which I don't plan on listening to again. In the past 6 months I've purchased a grand total of 6 CDs and no vinyl - a huge drop from previous years.

Oxfordian

That’s the irony of very expensive old things. Similar with cars - which were obviously meant to be driven. But Uber-rare ones get put in an air-conditioned garage and polished instead. The really wealthy owner still races them when they can, and to hell with it!

With those LPs you’ve either got to buy them as an artefact to be preserved, or as something otherwise missing from your collection and play them.

Are any of them actually that rare, or is the new, unopened thing all that’s unique about them?
My limited understanding is that a few years ago these old jazz classics were repressed from Blue Note's original master tapes, each LP was limited to 2500 copies, and there were a 1000 people who had a subscription and these copies were number, the guy in question paid for two subscriptions so has two sets in perfect mint condition. So I suppose these are classed as rare vinyl.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

Oxfordian

I'd walk away without hesitation.

Buying music can easily become more about collecting than about actually engaging with the music itself, and the prospect of buying any format of any age and doing so just to be able to say I own it is ridiculous to me. I've got a very sizeable CD collection. Some of it is listened to regularly, but I've recently been going through it and found more than a few things I may have listened to once, and which I don't plan on listening to again. In the past 6 months I've purchased a grand total of 6 CDs and no vinyl - a huge drop from previous years.
I had a bit of a spend up when I got my hifi back but recently I have been spending my evenings enjoying LP's and CD's that I have had for years rather than buying new. Having said that my aim going forward is to get quality over quantity targeting music I like rather than just buying for the sake of it.

Music I am unsure about or new to me I can check out on Apple Music first.

But if someone was kind enough to give me one of these collections I would happily play the LP's.

My limited understanding is that a few years ago these old jazz classics were repressed from Blue Note's original master tapes, each LP was limited to 2500 copies, and there were a 1000 people who had a subscription and these copies were number, the guy in question paid for two subscriptions so has two sets in perfect mint condition. So I suppose these are classed as rare vinyl.
Wow, well I’m guessing then as the Blue Note label was so popular all the content is available elsewhere. I might therefore follow Al’s example and ‘realise’ the gifted asset, but if the rules didn’t allow I would love to hear them!

Reactions: Al ears

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
If anyone has been watching YT in the last week you may have seen that Acoustic Sounds in the USA have bought a record collection from a collector in Oregon, there are apparently approx 10,000 LP's involved, a mixture of Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock music, there are a good number of highly sought after still sealed box sets from various artists within the collection.

But perhaps the highlight among the collection are some complete (or all but complete) limited edition, numbered, jazz collections still unopened, factory sealed, the jackets and vinyl untouched by human hand since being bagged up a good few years ago, these collections are being sold as individual complete collections and not as individual LP's, the price for 3 of these complete collections range from $17,500 USD through to $21,500 USD, and I think that tax may have to be added but I'm not sure how USA tax is applied.

I don't have that kind of money to splash out on a collection of mint, factory sealed, LP's but my hypothetical question is this;

You are now the proud owner of one of these Jazz Collections, the LP's are there in your listening room, your hifi is nicely warmed up and the TT is all set to receive it's next piece of vinyl to play, would you open one of the mint LP's from the collection or would you leave them intact and play something from your existing collection?

Me?

You?
I would digitise each LP and store it on a server. Then I will sell the LP and buy the finest USB cable money can buy. WRONG ANSWER
https://media.tenor.com/2xvSaEo2gP4AAAAM/downsign-voice-recording.gif
RIGHT ANSWER approved by long suffering wife.
I'll sell the LPs and buy new double glazing or new bathroom

Years ago I purchased a couple of boxes of various albums (over 100 albums) for about £30 - he was immigrating and was trying to flog them in a small record shop - and although not new they are in cracking condition, and couple of rare albums.
It seems the quantities is usually where the bargains lie. Folks selling job lots of CDs or cassettes almost give them away. I suppose it’s that they don’t have the time to list them.

Same too with ‘Hifi system’ sales on eBay. They’d usually get way more splitting the stuff up. Very few want a whole system in one go, compared with simply an amp or pair of speakers.

Last edited:
It seems the quanties is usually where the bargains lie. Folks selling job lots of CDs or cassettes almost give them away. I suppose it’s that they don’t have the time to list them.

Same too with ‘Hifi system’ sales on eBay. They’d usually get way more splitting the stuff up. Very few want a whole system in one go, compared with simply an amp or pair of speakers.
He was obviously genuine. He invited me around his house in Epsom and it was cluttered with sealed up boxes. I ended up coming home with two huge boxes of records. Couldn't see any TV or hi-fi....

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site

Me?

You?
i wouldn´t open the already existing albums in my colection and sell them if with value , the sealed if old i wouldn´t clen them on a machine before playing with would destroy the protection of the vinyl ,if recent editions ,i would clean them, normally 3 in 5 records i buy they sound dirtier than 30 years album i have with heavy listening

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts