What is the most bizarre piece of HiFi you've come across?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AJM1981

In a modern sense… the Kef Ls60

I am not a fan of floorstanders in the first place but if you need to place more drivers in array it makes sense. But these display almost a full empty plastic surface. Would go for a pair of LS50s with a sub instead.

Friesiansam

Last edited:

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
This must have gadget helps to centre your records.

A snip at $6k...........

Gray

And here is a back to the future style "hover board" for your hi-fi !
If your speakers and gear live in closer proximity than is ideal and you like high volumes (both of which are true for me), isolation is a good idea. But not at that price...

Friesiansam

This must have gadget helps to centre your records.

A snip at $6k...........
A quote from the above: "This said, there is no question that the ES-001 is a brilliant and successful bit of engineering. It does exactly what it is intended to do; it is easy to use (once you get the hang of it); and it unquestionably removes blur from and increases the neutrality and completeness of every LP I’ve used it with. If lifelike pitch and timbre, improved image focus, clarified soundstaging, and higher resolution are prime considerations—and how could they not be?—an LP lover could not put $6000 to better use than by purchasing an ES-001. It is not just a work of genius; it is a step change in analog playback and, quite appropriately, one of 2022’s TAS Products of the Year. (For vinyl fans, I’d have to say it is the Product of the Year—or Century.)"

"Product of the year"? More like what an old friend of mine used to call, "a bag of w*nk."

Last edited:

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
This was my personal streaming solution for a few to several years:

I stubbornly, romantically hung on to my original Cyrus One integrated as my main system. I connected/dangled this from one of my inputs and fed whatever through it with a Surface Pro 2, with which I'm still satisfactorily stubbornly streaming. I finally gave up on the Cyrus mostly because I got much older -and a little wiser, and that unit never had a remote control. It actually worked ok. I had a second adapter connected to a Nakamichi SoundSpace 8.

Now I only have to get up to play side B on my turntable.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
This reviewer, seems to understand the snake-oil business:
I don't disagree with the concept only the insane price.
You have a few beefy capacitors, an external power supply, that's just common sense.
Not sure how much, if only negligible, it will improve the sound?
If only some manufacturer can put this on the market, say £20 - £30 above the standard Nvme m2 price and we the consumer can decide if the additional outlay was worth the costs.

Friesiansam

Not sure how much, if only negligible, it will improve the sound?
It won't make any difference at all, not even slight. SSDs don't somehow store data better, or read it better, because they have a totally unnecessary power connector and a pair of big capacitors. It's as simple as that. The extras, compared to all other NVME SSDs, are pointless and, serve only to "justify" an over-inflated price.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It won't make any difference at all, not even slight. SSDs don't somehow store data better, or read it better, because they have a totally unnecessary power connector and a pair of big capacitors. It's as simple as that. The extras, compared to all other NVME SSDs, are pointless and, serve only to "justify" an over-inflated price.
I suspect you're right, merely intrigued by the idea. I never boo hoo something until it is properly tried and tested but this is academic, neither you nor I, will ever purchase one, we both know it's nuts.

Reactions: Friesiansam

Dom

The Atmosphere Acoustic Field Generator uses radio waves to improve sound quality by interacting with the air molecules in the room. The specific range of radio waves used is in the X band, which has a wavelength of about 3 centimeters. This wavelength is long enough to interact with the air molecules, but short enough to be able to penetrate through walls and other objects.

When the radio waves interact with the air molecules, they create a field of energy that enhances the sound waves. This field of energy helps to reduce reflections and diffraction, which can improve the soundstage and imaging. It can also help to reduce listening fatigue.

More research is needed to fully understand how it works.

Note : It may not be noticeable to everyone: Some people may not be able to hear the difference that the Atmosphere makes.
🤪

Last edited:

Dom

Yes, you've just bought it.
You got £5 change out of £4000.
But you may not be able to tell whether you've got it switched on or not 🤡
Its just insane that you would lay down £4k for something that might not make any difference, your either very rich and bored or just plain stupid.
Not to mention the space it takes up and the ugliness of them, some rich people think that having more boxes make music sound better.

For example :-
25973e2047611b8b82b63889240c8c7916229a1c1.jpg

I know you own Cyrus equipment so no offence was meant to you, its just to high-light the craziness people go to, to attain mythical sound quality. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Its just insane that you would lay down £4k for something that might not make any difference, your either very rich and bored or just plain stupid.
Not to mention the space it takes up and the ugliness of them, some rich people think that having more boxes make music sound better.

For example :-
View attachment 5123

I know you own Cyrus equipment so no offence was meant to you, its just to high-light the craziness people go to, to attain mythical sound quality. :rolleyes:
I wonder if this is HiFi equivalent of Virtual Signalling?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts