Sorry....another new person thread

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi all,

After a 30 odd year break I'm looking at getting a turntable and building up a small collection of my favourite records. So firstly I would appreciate some recommendations from you more knowledgeable people.

My requirements are: Turntable less than £500. Has bluetooth output so I can use my nice headphones when needed. Also has built in phono stage so I can connect to my old Sonos play 5 via the aux input. I'm not looking for amp, speakers etc at this stage, just want to use what I've got for now (with apologies to the audiophiles!!)

I've shortlisted these all within budget:

Pro-ject T1 BT (is it worth the extra cost over the E1?)
Audio-technica AT-LP120XBTUSB
Audio-technica AT-LPW50BTRW
TEAC TN-400BT-SE

At the moment I think I'm favouring the Pro-ject T1, but its more just that I like the look of it rather an informed choice based on technical knowledge. Is there much different spec/sound wise or is it a case of pick which one you fancy?

Have also seen the Cambridge Audio Alva ST for £599 at Richer Sounds.....is that worth pushing the budget for?

Would also welcome any other suggestions people have.

Second question.....what are your experiences of black friday? Are there deals to be had and for any particular brands? Is it worth waiting or not? Not that I'm impatient of course!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.
I know little about turntables with Bluetooth unfortunately so cannot help you with that one.
Regards Black Friday I would not wait as in my opinion the only things sold off cheap
are products they are finding hard to shift and they are not shifting for a reason....

Hi all,

After a 30 odd year break I'm looking at getting a turntable and building up a small collection of my favourite records. So firstly I would appreciate some recommendations from you more knowledgeable people.

My requirements are: Turntable less than £500. Has bluetooth output so I can use my nice headphones when needed. Also has built in phono stage so I can connect to my old Sonos play 5 via the aux input. I'm not looking for amp, speakers etc at this stage, just want to use what I've got for now (with apologies to the audiophiles!!)

I've shortlisted these all within budget:

Pro-ject T1 BT (is it worth the extra cost over the E1?)
Audio-technica AT-LP120XBTUSB
Audio-technica AT-LPW50BTRW
TEAC TN-400BT-SE

At the moment I think I'm favouring the Pro-ject T1, but its more just that I like the look of it rather an informed choice based on technical knowledge. Is there much different spec/sound wise or is it a case of pick which one you fancy?

Have also seen the Cambridge Audio Alva ST for £599 at Richer Sounds.....is that worth pushing the budget for?

Would also welcome any other suggestions people have.

Second question.....what are your experiences of black friday? Are there deals to be had and for any particular brands? Is it worth waiting or not? Not that I'm impatient of course!

Thanks in advance!
Also, where did you see the Cambridge Alva ST for that price? It's normal over £800 isn't it?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. It seems a well thought of brand for the entry level stuff.
Not just entry level. Although I’ve never had (or listened to) one myself, I would consider them a ‘proper’ turntable manufacturer. I’m guessing it comes with a budget cartridge (I’ve not checked), so at some point in the future you might want to consider (if you buy the TT) upgrading it, very worthwhile, but of course an added expense.

Reactions: DaveOfHerts

DaveOfHerts

Nov 2, 2023
Visit site
I wasn't trying to be facetious or elitist, LP playback done well can be very expensive, plus the price of new records. If I were to start from scratch again vinyl playback wouldn't even appear on my purchase list. Just my opinion (y)
Okay it did come across a bit like that but sorry I was grumpy!

I appreciate that people spend thousands on equipment and I'm happy for them. But some people just want an okay turntable to start with so they can initially spend their money on the, as you mentioned, ridiculously expensive records! Honestly I'm more interested in record collecting than top end sonic excellence.

There's a place for everyone 👍

DCarmi

If you can get there and since Richer Sounds have both the Project and Alva, I'd suggest asking if you can demo them with your own headphones.

The Alva is built in China. The image on the back in the Whathifi review, says so.

I'd vote for the project, though, the Alva does look to be a substantial bit of kit.

Reactions: DaveOfHerts

WayneKerr

Okay it did come across a bit like that but sorry I was grumpy!

I appreciate that people spend thousands on equipment and I'm happy for them. But some people just want an okay turntable to start with so they can initially spend their money on the, as you mentioned, ridiculously expensive records! Honestly I'm more interested in record collecting than top end sonic excellence.

There's a place for everyone 👍
Understood Dave(y) If I was starting again with vinyl playback there are some features I would be looking out for:
Lid/cover - a must as turntables are dust magnets
Removable headshell - makes cart or stylus swaps so much easier
Push button speed selection - if you have a collection of 45 rpm 7 or 12" singles
Height adjustable tonearm - can accommodate a variety of cartridge heights
You're not a DJ so superfluous gadgets like variable pitch sliders are just that, a gadget
Preferably comes equipped with an AT cartridge as the AT MM range is huge in comparison to Ortofon range

Chinese produced turntables all seem to have the same issue, poor QC. Nearly every review of any these tables mentions too much play in the tonearm bearings, I can vouch for this as my Pioneer has this issue. They are mass-produced, just branded and cased differently. They're not bad tables per se when price is a factor, but as always there are better tables out there. The Project, in comaprison, is possibly better but will seem very lightweight construction compared to the Chinese turntables.

You pay your money and take your chances.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
With your budget and the price of new LPs I think I'd be sticking to streaming or CDs.
pleanty of bargins around still . Miles Davis in there for 12-13quid ,adel 30 for 12quid and many more though I have no idea who they are but there's plenty. And cheap enough to take a punt for new music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts