Is the resurgence of vinyl LP's a fad?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I don't understand why some people are so anti-vinyl, as with any format it has it's pros and cons.

I've owned vinyl since the 1970s and still holds its own against other formats. It isn't perfect but I'd like to embrace as many formats as possible. And no, I'm not deluded, just like a lot (not all) of what vinyl gives you. After all it is just an alternative way to listen to your favourite sounds.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand why some people are so anti-vinyl, as with any format it has it's pros and cons.

I've owned vinyl since the 1970s and still holds its own against other formats. It isn't perfect but I'd like to embrace as many formats as possible. And no, I'm not deluded, just like a lot (not all) of what vinyl gives you. After all it is just an alternative way to listen to your favourite sounds.
Good post 👍 When it comes to vinyl, among others, I’m always blown away by the sheer ‘presence’ of my Bowie albums (Hunky Dory, Aladdinsane and Ziggy Stardust). I have the same albums on CD, they ain’t the same. That said, I have CD’s (on the Telarc label for instance) that produce sound that would be impossible to reproduce on vinyl.
With the advent of digital music, I get the impression that the art (for want of a better word) of listening to albums in their entirety is being lost. My son for instance is what I would call a ‘track skipper’, short attention span unless there’s an instant liking.
I’m probably just showing my age…

Good post 👍 When it comes to vinyl, among others, I’m always blown away by the sheer ‘presence’ of my Bowie albums (Hunky Dory, Aladdinsane and Ziggy Stardust). I have the same albums on CD, they ain’t the same. That said, I have CD’s (on the Telarc label for instance) that produce sound that would be impossible to reproduce on vinyl.
With the advent of digital music, I get the impression that the art (for want of a better word) of listening to albums in their entirety is being lost. My son for instance is what I would call a ‘track skipper’, short attention span unless there’s an instant liking.
I’m probably just showing my age…
You're right. For me CDs and other digital formats have perhaps more detail but for realism or presence vinyl is hard to beat. It sounds more natural and that's why it's been a keeper over so many decades, warts and all....

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

I know I keep harking on about it, my guz-zillion vinyl collection that mysteriously got mis-appropriated from my mum's garage. This was what broke the camel's back, this was the death knell with the relationship I had with vinyl, it kind of took the wind out of me but it was a mix blessing. I no longer had to think about the storage and all the fluff.
It wasn't just wiping the vinyl and blowing on my MC cartridge before resting my album on the platter. I also had my tool kit, my tiny spanner and spirit leveller and I would diligently do the maintenance on my Logic DM101 every week to ensure it delivers optimum performance.
Funny it was never a pain, just a call of duty and me wearing the badge that denotes my love of audio :)

Still, things move on and I have totally embraced digital but old habits die hard, I'm still tweaking with cables and interconnects and pee'ing off some people in the process but here's the thing, no one should be judged for something they love doing and these anti-sentiments against vinyl, streaming, CD's et'al is just plain silly. If it is something we love, let's embrace it.

Ok, I'm kissing the backside of nostalgia, oh man, just look at this baby, so loved my Logic DM101, the most under estimated turntable. At the time we were living in the Linn Sondek LP12 hemisphere and WHF was on a wave of a witch hunt against any pretenders to the throne. The LP12 was an amazing TT in terms of dynamics and it's animated tonal signature but in terms of neutrality and separation of instruments, the Logic carved out it's own niche. It was analogue that sounded like digital. I guess the world wasn't ready for it yet. This probably explains, why I was easily weaned into the digital camp.

Still you can have your cake and eat it. Without it sounding a bit too cliché, music is a personal thing and we don't need parameters to limit our choice.

1715342570333.png
View: https://youtu.be/SZXkKK_lUnc

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Oh fudge, you know I'm going to be doing OMEN round very soon, currently 665.

You know like some people don't like walking under the ladder, and if a black cat crosses your path.....If I hit the 666, please could somebody give me a like, so it clocks up to 667.

If you're the one that turned the dial from 666 to 667, I promise, I'll go to the corner of the room, hop on one leg and fart.

Thank You so Much.

1715355455104.png

Reactions: DougK1

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Oh fudge, you know I'm going to be doing OMEN round very soon, currently 665.

You know like some people don't like walking under the ladder, and if a black cat crosses your path.....If I hit the 666, please could somebody give me a like, so it clocks up to 667.

If you're the one that turned the dial from 666 to 667, I promise, I'll go to the corner of the room, hop on one leg and fart.

Thank You so Much.

View attachment 6663
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh Doug 666! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Ah! There's a did you know in there...

The earliest copy of Revelations has the Number of the Beast as being 616. So 666 is thought to be a mis-translation.

In any case I'll leave you to suffer 666. 👹
666 is probably Hollywood! I'm sure the Yanks would have pinched our dial emergency No 999 if we didn't have it first. Mind you we think of 911 for the wrong reasons. 616 that's a nice bit of trivia. The Devil is in the Detail....:) Nice one

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I know I keep harking on about it, my guz-zillion vinyl collection that mysteriously got mis-appropriated from my mum's garage. This was what broke the camel's back, this was the death knell with the relationship I had with vinyl, it kind of took the wind out of me but it was a mix blessing. I no longer had to think about the storage and all the fluff.
It wasn't just wiping the vinyl and blowing on my MC cartridge before resting my album on the platter. I also had my tool kit, my tiny spanner and spirit leveller and I would diligently do the maintenance on my Logic DM101 every week to ensure it delivers optimum performance.
Funny it was never a pain, just a call of duty and me wearing the badge that denotes my love of audio :)

Still, things move on and I have totally embraced digital but old habits die hard, I'm still tweaking with cables and interconnects and pee'ing off some people in the process but here's the thing, no one should be judged for something they love doing and these anti-sentiments against vinyl, streaming, CD's et'al is just plain silly. If it is something we love, let's embrace it.

Ok, I'm kissing the backside of nostalgia, oh man, just look at this baby, so loved my Logic DM101, the most under estimated turntable. At the time we were living in the Linn Sondek LP12 hemisphere and WHF was on a wave of a witch hunt against any pretenders to the throne. The LP12 was an amazing TT in terms of dynamics and it's animated tonal signature but in terms of neutrality and separation of instruments, the Logic carved out it's own niche. It was analogue that sounded like digital. I guess the world wasn't ready for it yet. This probably explains, why I was easily weaned into the digital camp.

Still you can have your cake and eat it. Without it sounding a bit too cliché, music is a personal thing and we don't need parameters to limit our choice.

View attachment 6660
View: https://youtu.be/SZXkKK_lUnc
If only they still made them...

View: https://youtu.be/g5-gM7eN8NU?si=SB95nNwOx3UEaZV3

TRENDING THREADS