Ipod Killer now available yet no mention...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
has anyone else hear heard about the new Sony NWZS639F? its a 16gb solid-state tech portable music player (i wont insult it by labeling it an MP3 player).

Available online for only £80 it has had loads of positive reviews online all of which state it kills the ipod in terms of audio quality whilst also offering very decent video quality. i first heard of it in a HFC article (not a review) and am now just waiting for WHFSV to (hopefully)get their hands on a unit for review.

i realise that 16gb isnt an enourmous HD but for £80 and the improved sound quality by removing moving parts from playback, it sounds like a bargain to me! and just think - no itunes to contend with!!!

any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

oops i did do a search before-hand but no results displayed... go figure?

must say im a little surprised by the review. the numerous owner reviews from people who have also owned ipods have all found in the sony's favour... each to their own i guess.

A

Anonymous

It's a great MP3 player - better than the iPod alternatives in my view, and that of the majority of users out their. Check out Amazon and other internet reviews, and they for most part all give the Sony the nod for sound quality.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
So whats going on, should we or i get rid of all our vinyl CD players and other bits and pieces, when will it end when will it end.

A

Anonymous

gregory:So whats going on, should we or i get rid of all our vinyl CD players and other bits and pieces, when will it end when will it end.

gregory, no-one mentioned the sony replacing anything. i just thought people might like to know that there is an alternative to ipods that offers (in some peoples opinions) better sound.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:Ah, but I wonder if they're comparing the latest generation of iPods with the Sony....

clare i must admit i am not sure which is the current generation of ipods. however, the in the article i mentioned previously(HFC issue 315), Alvin Gold made a direct comparison between his 5th gen ipod and the sony which ended in the sony being sonically superior.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Regardless of sound quality, one area where Sony lag far behind Apple is their naming conventions.

I mean, iPod Nano vs Sony NWZS639F - just no contest!!!

Maybe they should put more effort in coming up with a good name, a worthy successor to Walkman, that preferably isn't an all-too-obvious iPod ripoff (i.e. not an i-somthing).

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Fair point, as i'm the market for an ipod of some sort or the latest generation of what's new it's nice to know of the next generation of informed listeners of whats going on in the market place. To be honest my son is always going on about being more up to date with the latest listening trends but i like my vinyl and it doesn't bother me turning over the 1st side of a record and putting on the over side but i do have at least over 1000 albums on my pc that i could listen to on my system but i like to converse with forum members while i listen to said albums, maybe i'm getting to old.

A

Anonymous

gregory:Fair point, as i'm the market for an ipod of some sort or the latest generation of what's new it's nice to know of the next generation of informed listeners of whats going on in the market place. To be honest my son is always going on about being more up to date with the latest listening trends but i like my vinyl and it doesn't bother me turning over the 1st side of a record and putting on the over side but i do have at least over 1000 albums on my pc that i could listen to on my system but i like to converse with forum members while i listen to said albums, maybe i'm getting to old.

Gregory, stick to your vinyl - there's no competition!

Unless you listen to your music whilst travelling or whilst on holiday etc often, they aren't very handy - the sound quality is poor (accept for the ipod touch which is very good) and you can't just stick on an album and let it play through...there's just some magic missing when using an ipod compared to a CD or vinyl or even when playing ripped albums or downloaded albums via a computer.

And who cares whether we follow the latest trends? I've only got two CDs created in the last two years and I'm not even sixteen yet! The latest trends always fade after a while and you have to keep on spending money to keep up with them. I prefer to look to the past and find the highlights of the years of a particular product (which is why I love the late 70s of hi-fi!) and why I like prog-rock! Okay, that's a bit of a problem with home-cinema and TVs because they always improve, but with hi-fi in my opinion, the ipod is a bit of a backwards step. Is there not a niche in the market for a true high-end portable music player? The i-pod Elite, maybe? Memorary card slot rather than built in hard or flash drive? Proper integrated headphone amplifier? Maybe a DAB radio for good measure? I wouldn't mind paying an arm and a leg for such a product! How about you?

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:gregory:Fair point, as i'm the market for an ipod of some sort or the latest generation of what's new it's nice to know of the next generation of informed listeners of whats going on in the market place. To be honest my son is always going on about being more up to date with the latest listening trends but i like my vinyl and it doesn't bother me turning over the 1st side of a record and putting on the over side but i do have at least over 1000 albums on my pc that i could listen to on my system but i like to converse with forum members while i listen to said albums, maybe i'm getting to old.
Unless you listen to your music whilst travelling or whilst on holiday etc often, they aren't very handy - the sound quality is poor (accept for the ipod touch which is very good) and you can't just stick on an album and let it play through...there's just some magic missing when using an ipod compared to a CD or vinyl or even when playing ripped albums or downloaded albums via a computer. And who cares whether we follow the latest trends? I've only got two CDs created in the last two years and I'm not even sixteen yet! The latest trends always fade after a while and you have to keep on spending money to keep up with them. I prefer to look to the past and find the highlights of the years of a particular product (which is why I love the late 70s of hi-fi!) and why I like prog-rock! Okay, that's a bit of a problem with home-cinema and TVs because they always improve, but with hi-fi in my opinion, the ipod is a bit of a backwards step. Is there not a niche in the market for a true high-end portable music player? The i-pod Elite, maybe? Memorary card slot rather than built in hard or flash drive? Proper integrated headphone amplifier? Maybe a DAB radio for good measure? I wouldn't mind paying an arm and a leg for such a product! How about you?LOL

A

Anonymous

griffy:Hughes123:gregory:Fair point, as i'm the market for an ipod of some sort or the latest generation of what's new it's nice to know of the next generation of informed listeners of whats going on in the market place. To be honest my son is always going on about being more up to date with the latest listening trends but i like my vinyl and it doesn't bother me turning over the 1st side of a record and putting on the over side but i do have at least over 1000 albums on my pc that i could listen to on my system but i like to converse with forum members while i listen to said albums, maybe i'm getting to old.
Unless you listen to your music whilst travelling or whilst on holiday etc often, they aren't very handy - the sound quality is poor (accept for the ipod touch which is very good) and you can't just stick on an album and let it play through...there's just some magic missing when using an ipod compared to a CD or vinyl or even when playing ripped albums or downloaded albums via a computer. And who cares whether we follow the latest trends? I've only got two CDs created in the last two years and I'm not even sixteen yet! The latest trends always fade after a while and you have to keep on spending money to keep up with them. I prefer to look to the past and find the highlights of the years of a particular product (which is why I love the late 70s of hi-fi!) and why I like prog-rock! Okay, that's a bit of a problem with home-cinema and TVs because they always improve, but with hi-fi in my opinion, the ipod is a bit of a backwards step. Is there not a niche in the market for a true high-end portable music player? The i-pod Elite, maybe? Memorary card slot rather than built in hard or flash drive? Proper integrated headphone amplifier? Maybe a DAB radio for good measure? I wouldn't mind paying an arm and a leg for such a product! How about you?LOL

I've got myself a future buisness prospect, me thinks!

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:gregory:Fair point, as i'm the market for an ipod of some sort or the latest generation of what's new it's nice to know of the next generation of informed listeners of whats going on in the market place. To be honest my son is always going on about being more up to date with the latest listening trends but i like my vinyl and it doesn't bother me turning over the 1st side of a record and putting on the over side but i do have at least over 1000 albums on my pc that i could listen to on my system but i like to converse with forum members while i listen to said albums, maybe i'm getting to old.

Unless you listen to your music whilst travelling or whilst on holiday etc often, they aren't very handy - the sound quality is poor (accept for the ipod touch which is very good) and you can't just stick on an album and let it play through...there's just some magic missing when using an ipod compared to a CD or vinyl or even when playing ripped albums or downloaded albums via a computer.

And who cares whether we follow the latest trends? I've only got two CDs created in the last two years and I'm not even sixteen yet! The latest trends always fade after a while and you have to keep on spending money to keep up with them. I prefer to look to the past and find the highlights of the years of a particular product (which is why I love the late 70s of hi-fi!) and why I like prog-rock! Okay, that's a bit of a problem with home-cinema and TVs because they always improve, but with hi-fi in my opinion, the ipod is a bit of a backwards step. Is there not a niche in the market for a true high-end portable music player? The i-pod Elite, maybe? Memorary card slot rather than built in hard or flash drive? Proper integrated headphone amplifier? Maybe a DAB radio for good measure? I wouldn't mind paying an arm and a leg for such a product! How about you?

hughes, im am impressed that you have such an aged collection of music - my collection also follows this trend - to an extent. i love led zepp, deep purple, sabbath, floyd etc. but dont dismiss current or recent artists either. there are still innovative, original, inspirational and awe inspiring artists out there - unfortunately, due to the popularity of "pop" music, these artists are not well known and require seeking out rather than being thrust into your face.

if you like progressive music (with attitude) check out the likes of Devin Townsend (Ocean Machine LP), The Mars Volta (de-loused in the comatorium LP), Tool (Lateralus LP), The Tea Party (Edges Of Twilight LP), Oceansize (Frames LP) or Dream Theatre (Scenes from a memory LP).

goodluck

A

Anonymous

I will do! Then again, I'm currently listening to a Glen Miller 78rpm! I've heard of Devin Townsend - I really liked that LP, I'll have to try the rest!

manicm

ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:has anyone else hear heard about the new Sony NWZS639F? its a 16gb solid-state tech portable music player (i wont insult it by labeling it an MP3 player).
Available online for only £80 it has had loads of positive reviews online all of which state it kills the ipod in terms of audio quality whilst also offering very decent video quality. i first heard of it in a HFC article (not a review) and am now just waiting for WHFSV to (hopefully)get their hands on a unit for review.
i realise that 16gb isnt an enourmous HD but for £80 and the improved sound quality by removing moving parts from playback, it sounds like a bargain to me! and just think - no itunes to contend with!!!
any thoughts?

Trust me, the Sony software is traditionally worse than iTunes.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
well that's funny hughesy as your the newest and greatest YES fan in the world or the bigest i am listening to perpetual change whil e i'm typintg this and i now cant remember what the question was but i v had a light ale so i'm signing off noww . You''l see perpetual change.

A

Anonymous

gregory:well that's funny hughesy as your the newest and greatest YES fan in the world or the bigest i am listening to perpetual change whil e i'm typintg this and i now cant remember what the question was but i v had a light ale so i'm signing off noww . You''l see perpetual change.

That'll awaken your senses, then again, your head will be spinning like a roundabout!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Then i shall listen to awaken now and get back to you tomorrow, sorry to the op for hijacking this thread, good night everyone.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit:Clare Newsome:Ah, but I wonder if they're comparing the latest generation of iPods with the Sony....

clare i must admit i am not sure which is the current generation of ipods. however, the in the article i mentioned previously(HFC issue 315), Alvin Gold made a direct comparison between his 5th gen ipod and the sony which ended in the sony being sonically superior.

5th Gen iPod is hard-drive based 'video iPod' - we've had two generations of iPod Classics since then (using different audio codec) and more importantly in price/size/feature comparison to the Sony, we're now on 4th generation of iPod nano (solid state; different sonic signature again).

I'm not denying the Sony's a great-sounding product - we've said as much the two times we've reviewed it - but we still feel the Apple's have the edge. Especially, of course, if you're on a mac, where the Sonys don't want to play ball!

John Duncan

353032831.png

A

Anonymous

manicm:

The latest Sony works with iTunes or Windows Media Player. Personally I prefer WMP to iTunes - it's quicker and slicker.

But you also have a whole range of great PC software for your use; dbPowerAmp, EAC, Foobar, etc.

I was an apple lovi from 1987 thru to 1997, when they used to make insanely great products. Now I think they make very pretty products and do insanely great marketing. iStill do a lot with Macs, but they drive me nuts nowadays with unease of use - for me Macs went backwards.

manicm

3dHeli:manicm:

The latest Sony works with iTunes or Windows Media Player. Personally I prefer WMP to iTunes - it's quicker and slicker.

But you also have a whole range of great PC software for your use; dbPowerAmp, EAC, Foobar, etc.

I was an apple lovi from 1987 thru to 1997, when they used to make insanely great products. Now I think they make very pretty products and do insanely great marketing. iStill do a lot with Macs, but they drive me nuts nowadays with unease of use - for me Macs went backwards.

For playback, obviously for the limited formats on offer (apparently you can make it play FLAC), I agree with you 100%. For me nothing beats WMP 11, it's quick, slick, lightweight and pretty, and I can't live without its mini player mode which collapses to the task bar. I think other software can take a leaf out of WMP. And who'd ever have thought that of a Microsoft product??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts