Integrated amp by itself or integrated amp + pre-amp.

greggydoom

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in getting a better sound out of my records at some point in the next few months and was planning on possibly getting a dedicated pre-amp.

My setup is currently a Project RPM 1.3 (genie) with ortofon 2M red cartridge. My amp is an old rotel ra960bx (pretty good, but my next upgrade is going to be to a ra10 as my current amp has a dodgy left channel whish can cut out and distort, especially through the phono stage) and a pair of Monitor Audio bronze BX2's.

What I was wondering is whether the built in phono stage within an amp such as the Rotel RA10 (or other similarily priced amps) are decent enough at this level of hifi gear? Or would I notice a definate improvement if I was to spend lets say around £100 on a new pre-amp to add to the setup? Something like a Cambridge audio 651P.

Please excuse me if this seems obvious, I am relatively new to hifi and have tried to look for the answer through searching the forums and google but to no real result.

Thanks for your help

Greg

I agree with Alears. The phono stage in the Rotel is quite good enough for your source. Aim to improve the cartridge and turntable before worrying about the amp. It should do justice to a tt system up to around £1000.

TRENDING THREADS