Question New integrated amp suggestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

OllieC

Dec 22, 2021
Visit site
Thought I’d check in with an update.

I bought a 2nd hand MF M6i for £1k on eBay with 30 day returns. I swapped out the Arcam and in the daytime played a few well known tracks through the Bluesound Node. I was left feeing let down. Yes there was a bit more punch and bass presence, but some vocals sounded a bit grainy and didn’t notice any other differences.

Then that evening I sat down for a proper listening session with some vinyl and the experience was totally different. The extra punch and bass was there, but also a wider sound stage, better agility and detail. Particular highlights were In Colour by Jamie XX and Contra by Vampire Weekend - I was totally engrossed.

However, this thing is not as easy to live with as the Arcam. The remote control is a complete pigs ear. It’s cheap and plastic, not very responsive and has to be pointed in a very specific spot to work. Also the lack of a digital display means it’s hard to get a read on the exact volume levels, and the risk exists that one of my kids turns the volume knob right up when the unit is off and then blows the speakers when it gets turned on. Lastly, it can’t be switched on and off using the remote - a minor inconvenience.

So on balance, I think I’m going to return it.

So where to next? I note the comments above about the Hegel H190, which I hadn’t actually seen until today. Coincidentally I have been seriously considering it as my next port of call. There is one on eBay for £2k with 14 day returns and a 2 year warranty. Yes it is over double my original budget, but I do this every time I buy a new hifi component so I really shouldn’t be surprised. Anyhow my 40th birthday is coming up and my partner is asking me what I want, so perhaps this is fate.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Thought I’d check in with an update.

I bought a 2nd hand MF M6i for £1k on eBay with 30 day returns. I swapped out the Arcam and in the daytime played a few well known tracks through the Bluesound Node. I was left feeing let down. Yes there was a bit more punch and bass presence, but some vocals sounded a bit grainy and didn’t notice any other differences.

Then that evening I sat down for a proper listening session with some vinyl and the experience was totally different. The extra punch and bass was there, but also a wider sound stage, better agility and detail. Particular highlights were In Colour by Jamie XX and Contra by Vampire Weekend - I was totally engrossed.

However, this thing is not as easy to live with as the Arcam. The remote control is a complete pigs ear. It’s cheap and plastic, not very responsive and has to be pointed in a very specific spot to work. Also the lack of a digital display means it’s hard to get a read on the exact volume levels, and the risk exists that one of my kids turns the volume knob right up when the unit is off and then blows the speakers when it gets turned on. Lastly, it can’t be switched on and off using the remote - a minor inconvenience.

So on balance, I think I’m going to return it.

So where to next? I note the comments above about the Hegel H190, which I hadn’t actually seen until today. Coincidentally I have been seriously considering it as my next port of call. There is one on eBay for £2k with 14 day returns and a 2 year warranty. Yes it is over double my original budget, but I do this every time I buy a new hifi component so I really shouldn’t be surprised. Anyhow my 40th birthday is coming up and my partner is asking me what I want, so perhaps this is fate.
That's on my bucket list the Hegel. This Norwegian outfits are mighty fine 😊!
It would be nice if What HiFi gives it a proper review.
YouTube reviews are such, What HiFi reviews are the 10 commandments etched in stone. 🍺

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts