Impromptu home demo of AVI ADM9

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
So, after a week in Liverpool on a training course, I had a week of 'field time' with an engineer.

On Thursday, we went to one house to do a 50mb modem install and the customer had (in no particular order)

Quad 21Ls, PMC DB1s, PMC FB1s and AVI ADM 9s

I also saw some older Quad stuff (He mentioned an FM4 tuner) a 909 power amp, a Sonos system, some Linn gear, a garishly coloured Garrard (think that was the name, or something similar) turn table, and loads of other kit around the house.

While the guy I'm supposed to be observing was doing the modem install, I was chatting with the customer about all things Hi-Fi and he gave me a demo of his ADM 9s, fed from his desktop Mac.

Loved the sound. His taste is different from mine, but he had some 'Bowie' and 'Radiohead' tracks I know which sounded great and some 'Air' tracks which I hadn't heard.

The Air tracks were very orchestral, lots of strings and the sound was mellow and smooth without sounding muddy or dull. The sound was very detailed and 'real' sounding. And this was with me standing in front of them, not sitting in the sweet spot. Only thing which was noticeable was the slight lack of scale, but he said he occasionally connected his M&K sub up to the system, and it's nothing that would bother me as I would be using my PV1 too.

I will definitely try to get a demo with the kind of music I know well when I'm looking to replace my 602s. Only issue I'd have is that I'd want to keep my A85, and not use the pre-amp or remote of the ADM 9s (I think we're up to 9.1 now). I believe they're also available in gloss black finish too which is even better.

I can feel my wallet getting a bit worried now!
emotion-1.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:Only issue I'd have is that I'd want to keep my A85, and not use the pre-amp or remote of the ADM 9s

Not sure if that would work.

The pre-out signal from your amp is going to be variable inasmuch as it is driven by the volume control. I think the analogue input on the ADM9.1s is meant to be for connecting straightforward 'line level' inputs like from a CD player.

I could be wrong and even then it might still work.

It would be interesting if anyone else is using the ADM9.1s in the way you propose.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
al7478:Why do you particularly want to, Chris?

To keep the A85? I need high level connectors for my PV1 (The low level is already being used by my Onkyo receiver)

Also, I've only just bought the A85!
emotion-7.gif

Maybe I'll stick to traditional passive speakers. We'll see. Don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
A third option is the new Neutron Five 2.1 system with active subwoofer/preamp/DAC and three built in 100 watt amplifiers. (One for the sub and two for the Neutron V's)

Their website has recently been updated and clearly states they are now shipping. (It was 'on hold' for a while until recently.)

Costs £1299. Has optical (x4) and USB (x1) and analogue RCA phono (x1) inputs.

AVI state in no uncertain terms - on that link I posted - that it is a good replacement for a 'traditional' 5.1 A/V surround system too. So you may be able to simplify/replace more than just your 2 channel system.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Dont believe all you read.

Many of the good things your read about them are posted by them using different identities all over the net on many many forums.

Dont buy any audio gear without hearing it first and never trust a sales man trust your own ears.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
john dolan:
Many of the good things your read about them are posted by them using different identities all over the net on many many forums.

I hardly think Big Chris or al7478 (or 'Messiah') are comparable to the people you are describing.

AVI 'sock puppets' are instantly recognisable.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The products been spammed to death all over the net by darren and jc brum using different identities that its hard to know when positive reviews are genuine now.

So as i said trust your own ears and never buy without hearing them first.

T

the record spot

Absolutely.
Get some Q Acoustic 2050s instead - weight, authority, scale...the works and at a fraction of the price. Will suit all kinds of music and fit into many different systems.
I got that in an email from "Dave at Q Acoustics".
(note: tongue in cheek alert, tongue in cheek alert!)

Messiah

chebby:
Big Chris:Only issue I'd have is that I'd want to keep my A85, and not use the pre-amp or remote of the ADM 9s

Not sure if that would work.

The pre-out signal from your amp is going to be variable inasmuch as it is driven by the volume control. I think the analogue input on the ADM9.1s is meant to be for connecting straightforward 'line level' inputs like from a CD player.

I could be wrong and even then it might still work.

It would be interesting if anyone else is using the ADM9.1s in the way you propose.

Well, I use the variable outputs on my Beresford DAC into the ADMs and this works fine so I can see no issue with using the Pre-Outs from the A85 into the ADMs.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Ah right - link deleted for House rules violation, but noted. Wasn't aware that was an official AVI forum - AE

And if you think im paranoid about them using different identities.

santino.b.it is darren

Yes we noticed - hence he was banned for ban-dodging - AE

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
john dolan:Sorry Andrew i did not mean to violate your rules.

I see what goes on over there and thought you should know is all.

No probs, just have to enforce the rules. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, but don't think I'll be spending too much time lurking there - on brief acquaintance looks like a pretence of an independent forum, but with a definite agenda, given the names appearing on the posting list.

But hey, 120ish members - way to go, guys...

matthewpiano

Andrew Everard:Really? Have to admit I didn't look when I saw who the main protagonists were...

Perhaps I shouldn't be surprised. I just can't believe anyone thinks that slagging off everyone who doesn't agree with you is a good way to change an industry or run a business.

Like you, I won't be spending any further time over there.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:john dolan:Sorry Andrew i did not mean to violate your rules.

I see what goes on over there and thought you should know is all.

No probs, just have to enforce the rules. Thanks for bringing it to our attention, but don't think I'll be spending too much time lurking there - on brief acquaintance looks like a pretence of an independent forum, but with a definite agenda, given the names appearing on the posting list.

But hey, 120ish members - way to go, guys...

I'm not sure what I've missed but I just read,

"What about preamps? Is yours any good? And how would I know?

These days a 4 pence Op Amp makes a perfect preamp and for a pound you get one that's even better, though you won't hear it. Both are a thousand times better than tubes.", on the website.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well our five-star review of them is here
emotion-2.gif
- we have no agenda (even if others may claim otherwise....
emotion-20.gif
)

Every time we've mentioned the AVI ADM 9.1s, we've mentioned giving their predecessors five stars....Sure the newer model would fare well, too, if only we were given a chance to test it!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:Well our five-star review of them is here
emotion-2.gif

You'll notice there's even a conspiracy about it coming back

I haven't noticed - but then i'm not interested in how ignorant, malicious or delusional individuals think we run WHF! I

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
JohnDuncan:Clare Newsome:Well our five-star review of them is here
emotion-2.gif

You'll notice there's even a conspiracy about it coming back

I haven't noticed - but then i'm not interested in how ignorant, malicious or delusional individuals think we run WHF! I

What about those delusional people who like it?

Hrrmpf.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts