Impromptu home demo of AVI ADM9

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Would WHF be prepared to audition a pair of somebody's recently acquired ADM 9.1's to finally put this issue to bed?

Surely it's all about the consumers!!!!!

A

Anonymous

I rarely post on this board. Being an owner of an Exposure pre/power system with some dynaudios, and also a pair of ADM9s i'd like to throw my 2 cents in here...

I got my ADM9s (original 9.0s) from hififorsale.com, i'd read a lot about them and for less than half the r.r.p figured they were worth a punt. Are they good? Yes. Are they perfect-best ever speakers-in the entire world? Nope... But, for the price point they trouce everything else i've heard (e.g my former cambridge audio 640v2 CDP/amp/Epos M5 setup - a whathifi test winner at about the same price new). Admitedly, some of the sounds they make are very very impressive, and to my ear are better than my "passive" system costing about 4 times as much.

Personally, I think it's pros and cons are mostly attributed to their active design... For my PC, I have a system of little known sirocco speakers, which have a similar sonic signature/overall neutral presentation to the ADM9s (albeit much smaller).

http://www.macuser.co.uk/reviews/15235/videologic-sirocco.html

I have met Ashley personally, who was kind enough to give my girlfriend and I a demonstration of the ADM9.1s+sub at his house. Although highly opinionated, he is a genuinely nice and welcoming man who is a great believer in his products. Admittedly though, I do find some of my online findings dubious (e.g darrenwm (who I have conferred with through PM quite a few times) posing as a sicilian man praising AVI products). Shady marketing/shilling aside, the product speaks for itself as a very good one. I do think AVI are shooting themselves in the foot by marketing it best thing ever in hifi, there is far better out there (on the same day I visited Ash I listened to a set of ADAM Tenors at a dealer's house, no contest whatsoever).

On there own, I would not use them as a main system... While punchy with bags of pace/detail, they sound weak on the low-end and struggle to produce a big sound stage with big bass and beats. No doubt this would improve enormously with the sub, but at an extra 800 odd quid I myself cannot justify the extra cost. In comparison, my dynaudio system has a richer larger sound although does not capture the finer sharp upper-details like the ADM9s. Still, they are not going anywhere... They have made a perfect 2nd system which is compact and neat for the living room. Personal qualms aside, I can see how some people are perfectly happy with their performance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Appreciate the offers, but wouldn't want to deprive someone of the speakers for several weeks while we tested them, and honestly can't think that any review that doesn't use a specific serial number of MacBook Pro and result in a new star rating system involving reducing every other speaker made, or to be made, to a negative number of stars will ever do anything but muddy the pool even more.

A

Anonymous

Good point Andrew. For all AVIs "objective" approach, I do wonder why they insist on promoting apple alongside their products... In some respects, the image is pushing them into a niche. A correctly configured PC (or anything with an optical output for that matter) will perform just as well as anything apple has put out.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Heretic! Burn the witch!!!

(Actually, having just had an eight week old MacBook Pro just suffer total unrecoverable hard drive failure, which means I won't have it for two or three weeks while our company IT people and their suppliers sort it out, you have my sympathy...)

A

Anonymous

Hehe I am a PC fanboy all the way... For all my prejudices against Apple, the new Windows 7 has had some mac-love on it's GUI and is all the better for it :)

matthewpiano

I agree daws0n. AVI seem as evangelical about the Mac as they do about their own product and I'm not sure it does them any favours whatsoever. A PC makes a perfectly good source in a computer based music set-up. Even just using a USB connection from my HP laptop into my V-DAC provides excellent sound quality with lossless files.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts