Impromptu home demo of AVI ADM9

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Arf!

But you see, this is yet another thread that's distracting from something better we could ALL be doing. My fluffy white cat, shark tank and plans for world domination are feeling sadly neglected
emotion-5.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Arf!

But you see, this is yet another thread that's distracting from something better we could ALL be doing. My fluffy white cat, shark tank and plans for world domination are feeling sadly neglected
emotion-5.gif

World domination? Why I am not surprised Mrs N.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What have you all done with Chris's thread?

We were all sitting around being nice, having tea and I even recommended thinking about the new Neutron 5.2.1 system (with company link and prices) and when I come back the thread has degraded to the point where Clare has resorted to references to her 'fluffy' cat and 'domination' that could get anyone banned if they even strayed a scintilla into.. "Are you being served"/Mrs Slocombe territory!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:That's Ms N to you - Mrs N is my Mum
emotion-4.gif

Oh...do you fancy getting married then, I'll take a punt...and if you don't work out I'll pop you on fleabay.

John Duncan

JoelSim:
emotion-4.gif

Oh...do you fancy getting married then, I'll take a punt...and if you don't work out I'll pop you on fleabay.

When in hole...

Anyway, I'm off to join the AVI forums. I'm an owner after all...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:
emotion-4.gif

When in hole...Anyway, I'm off to join the AVI forums. I'm an owner after all...

Mind you JD, you look lovely too.

These days, new piccy and all that...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:Mind you JD, you look lovely tooA sure sign it's time to change my avatar...

Where has the lovely Ms N gone, considering my proposal...

John Duncan

JoelSim:
JohnDuncan:JoelSim:Mind you JD, you look lovely tooA sure sign it's time to change my avatar...

Probably watching a film with her husband.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site

How ridiculous, pah!

I will kill you with a tray

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site

Just TV rather than movies - and getting tutted at for going on Forums during ad breaks
emotion-2.gif

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:JohnDuncan:JoelSim:

Just TV rather than movies - and getting tutted at for going on Forums during ad breaks
emotion-2.gif

Well. Clare. (They don't understand)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:We're getting severely off-plot again here, people...

Back to it ... as much as I like AVI's ADM's and Ashley (and Darren), both reasonable, descent guys which I believe have nothing other to do with each other than enjoying that very product, I was, at one stage, inandeted with postings from those very 'anti-conventional' Hifi forums. I opted out, asking Ashley James personally to pass-on my request to delete my name of those mailing lists. To much was to much and I'm a grown-up, capable of making my own mind up about products.

Still, they are a great system, Ashley James is a very knowledgeable/helpful person and if you are in the market for an upgrade, you could do much worse than listening to them. As for WHS&V testing them, I always disagreed with AJ of AVI about not supplying a pair but that's the way it is, unfortunately.

matthewpiano

Going back to the subject of AVI, I think their aims are admirable and there is enough evidence from respectable posters on this forum to suggest that they make excellent products.

I think the way AVI go about spreading their gospel is reprehensible, particularly when it comes to personal attacks on named people. However, I do think that Ashley & co's basic point is important and I believe it needs further consideration rather than being discounted on the basis of nostalgia or personality clashes.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Which is why we've featured digital media products, active speakers, streaming, MP3, DACs etc in WHF for 10+ years - including Awards for the Airport Express when it first came out, ditto Sonos, Apple TV, iPod etc etc etc etc...

More than happy to debate and discuss all these issues, plus feedback on our coverage and suggestions for further features/sections etc.

Messiah

matthewpiano: However, I do think that Ashley & co's basic point is important and I believe it needs further consideration rather than being discounted on the basis of nostalgia or personality clashes.

I agree. Putting all the traditionalist bashing aside I think the underlying principles for the companies direction with the ADMs makes a lot of sense. A lot of what AJ 'preached' made sense to me and fit with my own experiences with various hifi over the years. This has lead to purchasing a product I am very happy with.

So, Big Chris is impressed. Who's next?????
emotion-2.gif

matthewpiano

Clare Newsome:
Which is why we've featured digital media products, active speakers, streaming, MP3, DACs etc in WHF for 10+ years - including Awards for the Airport Express when it first came out, ditto Sonos, Apple TV, iPod etc etc etc etc...

More than happy to debate and discuss all these issues, plus feedback on our coverage and suggestions for further features/sections etc.

Sorry Clare - please don't think I was criticising you or the magazine. It was more a general comment that with all the problems AJ and co. cause with their special brand of acidic evangelism, it is all too easy for their very valid message to get drowned in circular arguments.

I'm not talking about the anti-subjectivist stance either. As a musician I believe music itself is a very subjective thing, so it stands to reason that hi-fi is going to be as well. I don't subscribe to the notion that everyone should force themselves to like the same sound. Indeed, the 'listen with your own ears' approach is one of the things that has kept me interested in WHFS&V over the years.

I just believe that there is clearly something in the product, and something in the computer based approach, that merits a clarity of discussion that AVI make very hard. It clouds things particularly negatively when you read the forums mentioned earlier and see no punches pulled in slagging off people like yourself, Andrew, and Dave from Frank Harvey for whom I have the utmost respect based on what I've read on these forums.

A

Anonymous

avis approach works brilliantly

other manufacturers make active speakers but the seldom get a mention on any forum or magazine in the uk its all about aj

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts