Very cheap record players.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

You are talking to the wrong bunch if people, really. None of us here would consider a £15 turntable system.

To be fair many of us will probably have started at not too dissimilar levels. I for one, as a 14 year old, had an ITT music centre, I was really proud of at the time. It did not take that long for me to realise that the sound from the system was not that great.

If your mate cares a jot for the sound quality he'll soon twig. If not, let him enjoy what he has.

Hifiver

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
I have shown him the Rega Planar 1 and the £299 Sevenoakes deal with the Denon Deck and he says rediculously pricey, high end kit like that is pointless.

I have tried and warned him anyway that he risks damaging his vinyl.

Well, I tried.

Hifiver

Jan 2, 2022
Visit site
We knew it was coming.

His cheapie suitcase record player has broken already. He has, bought the cheapest Gemini player from HMV.

I have suggested he buys decent separates and will never look back.

He always finds an excuse not to.

DCarmi

I've had my Rega Planar 3 since 1988. The cost probably works out around £1 a month excluding cartridge/stylus changes. I have also had it rewired so let's call it a generous £3 a month including all maintenance.

Mind you compared to the cost I've spent on media, that's peanuts.

Reactions: Gray

DCarmi

What was rewired and what did that do?
Yes , it was the tone arm. One of the wires to the cartridge broke.

I did try to repair it myself but found it was beyond my skill level. I found a local chap who was much more capable than yours truly ( and reasonably priced)!

I think should it come to a new motor, I'll replace the turntable. Until then all is well in vinyl world.

Reactions: Gray and Al ears

clanking

Feb 6, 2023
Visit site
Reminds me of the time I offered some advise on someone struggling to get their car up a slight icy slope. 'Put it in second or third gear and go slowly', I said. 'No, you need to spin the wheels to get the grip', they replied. I walked away. There's just no telling some people.

Sounds like you've done what you can, time to leave it.

My Mrs is quite happy listening to music through her phone speaker whereas I'd rather not listen to the music than hear it like that. I'm learning to just grit my teeth and bear it.

Reactions: BiggaJ

BiggaJ

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Your friend cannot be helped from what you have said so far. He is a lost cause in my view and I doubt he will ever change or see the light.

TRENDING THREADS