How the older Marantz stack up

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I know that a lot of the older budget Marantz are really highly regarded and very popular, and there is lots of them on ebay, but when looking for a new amp I have no idea how all of the amps compare to each other, as in which amps are better than others. So I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information, or at least a rough idea on their rank against each other, age, and retail price. Some ideas of equivelent budget amps from other brands such as rotel would also be useful. The popular amps on ebay seem to be:

Marantz PM7200

Marantz PM7200 KI

Marantz PM7001

Marantz PM7002

Marantz PM6010 OSE

Marantz PM6010 KI

Marantz PM66 SE

Marantz PM66 KI

I understand the KIs are obviously better than their predecessors, I'd also be interested in any other amps I should be looking at, and also how amps such as the NAD C340 and C370, Arcam Alpha 8 and 9, and the Rotel Ra-1062 compare to these amps.

I know this is a lot of amps to be thinking about, but I find the best way to get a good deal second hand is to look at as many items as possible and I'm not too sure what I want anyway.

matthewpiano

It all depends what you want really!

Of the older Marantz amps my personal pick would be the PM66 KI-Signature, which has an effortless musicality, but for some its lack of 'crash' and 'bash' and its emphasis on the mid-range might be the antithesis of what is required. The PM7200 can also sound very persuasive.

The PM7001 is a more bullish sounding amp. Still very capable but I found it made my head hurt after a while. Not really typical Marantz in some respects, but if you like a very solid and up-front sound then this might suit better than the '66.

The ones to avoid are the lower models. Anything starting with a PM4xxx or PM5xxx is better left alone and generally pretty gutless and flat sounding. I'd also give the PM6002 a miss. Although an award winner, I never felt as though they got this one right and the 6003 that replaced it was substantially more capable, with smaller improvements through the 6004 and 6005 models.

In general NAD amps tend to be a bit ballsier than Marantz, particularly in the bass. They are generally great fun but can lack finesse. In general they provide more current and drive harder speakers to higher volumes more easily, though not always with equivalent levels of control. Some models need particularly careful attention to ventilation - mostly the bigger ones such as the C370.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks very much for the reply, so the first number in the marantz models is the 'level' if you get me, so a 7 is normally better than a 6?
Do you have an idea of what you would pay for the amps? There is a PM66 KI on ebay for about 150 and i have been offered a PM7001 for a similar price, same with the PM6010 KI, but had no idea whether these were good prices and which ones would be better, I guess Id probably prefer a more upfront sound. But I dont think the amps retailed for much more than 300 about 10 years ago, or is that not right?
There was a Nad C340 for £80 as well but I wasnt sure how much worse it is to the C370 as I know thats very well rated but the 370s go for 150-200.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Funny how people's ears can be different, I find the PM66KI quite smooth. But that's in comparison to a Cyrus 2...

Slightly further back (some would no doubt class this as too old) I liked the PM45 as well, which had what some would consider to be the benefit of tone and loudness controls. It was a mid-range award winner and was also quite a smooth performer.

matthewpiano

MajorFubar said:
Funny how people's ears can be different, I find the PM66KI quite smooth. But that's in comparison to a Cyrus 2...

Slightly further back (some would no doubt class this as too old) I liked the PM45 as well, which had what some would consider to be the benefit of tone and loudness controls. It was a mid-range award winner and was also quite a smooth performer.

Hi Major, not that different - we are both saying the same thing in different words!

IMO the 66KI Sig is a superb amplifier and, as you say, quite smooth.

T

the record spot

The 6010-KI I would avoid unless you like a bass lean presentation. I would however keep an eye out for a PM80 which were beefier, and enjoyed a better power rating.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Well if I could pick an amp I would take the Ra-1062 but there isnt any for sale on ebay at the moment. I havent got a source yet, although I often use my laptop or ipod so i was thinking of getting an arcam ipod dock and maybe a dac as well as well as a cd player, the cd player i get will probably be to match my amp.
The speakers are B&W 602.5 S3s or 602 S3s, havent decided which ones to use in my hifi and which ones to use in my home cinema, but matching amps are probably the same i should imagine?

T

the record spot

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

What source component/s and speakers will you be using please?

Btw, the RA-1062 and the C370 are superior to the other amplifiers.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

To the OP, BTW, that's in Rick's opinion. Others, myself included, would disagree.

Hi Michaelholder1

Thanks for your reply

Hold out for a RA-1062 as I truly feel it'll be worth the wait.

As for speakers if you're also going to use a sub for your surround system then use the 602.5 S3's and use the better sounding 602 S3's for your Hi-Fi. A pairing of RA-1062 and 602 S3's rocks :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

peterpiper

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
I once owned a PM7200, very musical sounding, with not a hint of grain in the high, I Foolishly sold it because of its bulk, it would not fit in the rack anymore, one of the biggest mistakes i ever made, You could also fry an egg on top when in class A mode, I still use its matching CD player though

the ironic thing is am now using an AS500 yamaha amp which is not far off in size, the Marant was a beast though

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

Thanks for your reply

As for speakers if you're also going to use a sub for your surround system then use the 602.5 S3's and use the better sounding 602 S3's for your Hi-Fi. A pairing of RA-1062 and 602 S3's rocks :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Okay I will do, but in case one doesn't come for a while (as I really do want something to listen to my music on), what amps would you say compare in a similar price change in your opinion? The C370, how does the C340 compare to he 370? I take it a lot of people believe on here some of the better marantz amps compare to it. But without listening to it, it seems odd as the RA-1062 was a lot more expensive than the marantz amps new and was very highly regarded.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
While I thank people for their replies, and have learned about the characters of the sound given by each of the amps; I was mostly interested in their retail rank against each other, ie. their retail prices/age. Where the manufacturer would presumably believe one product was better than another, or at least marketed as better.
This is mostly as an idea of what I should be paying for each one, as I like to get a good deal on what I buy. At the moment I have very little idea on what I should be spending on each of the amps. For instance I have been offered a Marantz pm7001 with matching cd player for £270 inc. postage but I have no idea how good that is as a price?

Michaelholder1 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

Thanks for your reply

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Okay I will do, but in case one doesn't come for a while (as I really do want something to listen to my music on), what amps would you say compare in a similar price change in your opinion? The C370, how does the C340 compare to he 370? I take it a lot of people believe on here some of the better marantz amps compare to it. But without listening to it, it seems odd as the RA-1062 was a lot more expensive than the marantz amps new and was very highly regarded.

Hi Michaelholder1

C340 v C370? All things being equal the C370 any day.

If it was possible you could try all the amps from your list with 602S3's and I can say with confidence that the two standout amplifiers would be the RA-1062 and the C370. For a powerful, weighty and smooth sound look at the C370 and for a tight, punchy, crisp and dynamic sound the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Michaelholder1 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

Thanks for your reply

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Michaelholder1

If it was possible you could try all the amps from your list with 602S3's and I can say with confidence that the two standout amplifiers would be the RA-1062 and the C370. For a powerful, weighty and smooth sound look at the C370 and for a tight, punchy, crisp and dynamic sound the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hang on a cotton pickin' minute! How come you say to him "All the best", and you say to me "All the beet"? Do I look like a farmer? :rofl:

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I didn't phrase that right, I had meant how much better is the C370 as the C340 can be had very cheap compared to the C370. So any other amps you would consider with the C370 and the RA-1060?
I take it from the meh, its only an okay deal?

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
How would you say the RA-980BX compares to the RA-1060 by the way? Just as there is a lot of those going about online but currently none of the RA-1060s unfortunately. I was just presuming the Ra-1060 was considerably better, but I guess thats not neccessarily the case.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Just wondering if you have any used equipment at musicraft? As I've just realised you're in Derby which I am currently in for the weekend. Or is everything in your shop going to be out of my price range?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts