How the older Marantz stack up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Michaelholder1 said:
How would you say the RA-980BX compares to the RA-1060 by the way? Just as there is a lot of those going about online but currently none of the RA-1060s unfortunately. I was just presuming the Ra-1060 was considerably better, but I guess thats not neccessarily the case.

The RA970BX is worth a look. Nice enough amp. The price you were quoted for the Marantz pairing is very good. Good gear too. Do cast your net wide, there are plenty of options not just two amps that supposedly can't be beaten. Simple truth, they can and are.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
the record spot said:
The RA970BX is worth a look. Nice enough amp. The price you were quoted for the Marantz pairing is very good. Good gear too. Do cast your net wide, there are plenty of options not just two amps that supposedly can't be beaten. Simple truth, they can and are.

Well that was the idea of using this forum, I am quite new to hifi so I haven't got too much preference on the type of amp I want so was just hoping everyone could give me some more ideas of amps I can look at. But most importantly I wanted a better idea of how much I should be paying for these amps otherwise I have no idea whats a good deal and whats not.

The two amps I have stated are merely just ones I was interested in and was hoping people would give me ideas for similar quality amps in that price range. Better value for money amps would be even more useful! Was hoping people would give me an idea on the price range I should be paying for the Marantz amps too. How they compare to the rotel and the nad would also be useful.

T

the record spot

You can do this yourself. Go on to Ebay and see what the sold items went for. That'll give you a good idea, then check Gumtree UK wide. I buy quite a bit off there. Got my AVI CD player for a good way less than the used market usually commands which is usually £450+. I bought my CD63-MKII KI for £100 with Chord Cobra 3 cables thrown in the other week. Go on Ebay and you'll see sales between £100-200.

My Harman Kardon HK6850 cost me about £100 but it was their top but one amp in the late 90s. In Germany though, you'd pay a whack more as HK is rightly well rated over there. The UK market is less enlightened with some of these things and you'll find the 6850 or the 6950 are killer amps. Shop around and you can buy smart, the bargains are out there.

A NAD C370 was going for £150 on Gumtree in Edinburgh the other week. It went in no time, if I'd needed an amp I'd have gone for it, albeit I'm delighted with mine and doubt the 370 is better. The point is the bargains are there, you just need to do a bit of legwork.

The Marantz pairing you mentioned before were £350 each on release. If the ones you've seen are in mint or near mint nick, the the price you were quoted seems good to me.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I use Gumtree a lot, got my dm602 s3s off there last year for £120 delivered in mint condition, just need an amp to go with them as my old nad broke.

Would say that Marantz combo is a good sound? How would it compare to a Nad C370, or the Rotel Ra-1060?

You think those Harmon Kardon amps would be good to look at with the rest then?

T

the record spot

If you can find the HKs then without a doubt. Powerful, clean effortless sound that really makes you sit up. They don't turn up often though but expect to pay around £150 or so for the 6850. Build is to notch and the heatsink is massive! This thing can rock.

Not heard the Marantz pair together but have heard many of their products over the years and the 7001s were well reviewed. I had the KI version of the CD player and it was simply excellent. A little lean in the bass which I'd suggest is more accurate than boomy and which I preferred. Your speakers will counterbalance that nicely and the amp is a good one. John Duncan on here had one a really rated it from memory.

Edit: PM7001 on Gumtree for £75 just now... Looks like it's in great shape.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/marantz-pm7001-stereo-integrated-amplifier-in-excellent-condition/1058337533

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Will definitely have a look at them! What are the Nad C352s like? There's one of them going near me. £200 though. Should I have a look at some Arcams too?

T

the record spot

Vladimir said:
Even better, the 6850 and 6950 have remotes. :)

The 6850 doesn't come with a remote (I own one) but the 6950 does. Or more accurately, the 6950R.
smiley-laughing.gif

T

the record spot

Michaelholder1 said:
Will definitely have a look at them! What are the Nad C352s like? There's one of them going near me. £200 though. Should I have a look at some Arcams too?

The 352 was very popular, not sure that used it's worth £200 (albeit it depends on condition and whether it's worth £200 to you if it's in near mint or mint condition). You should look at whatever you feel you need to look over. There should also be a point that you say "enough is enough". It would probably help you to draft a list of things you want, decide which amps give you that and make a shortlist. Then you know what you're looking for and can narrow your seach.

T

the record spot

Speak of the HK devil, much to my amazement, but this appeared on Ebay tonight - an HK6550R. £115 BIN which is a killer price and more than the measure of the 352 you saw at £200 earlier. Comfortably.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/quality-HARMAN-KARDON-HK6650R-HI-FI-AMPLIFIER-WITH-REMOTE-FANTASTIC-CONDTION-/331187088804?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item4d1c49eda4

Michaelholder1 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

C340 v C370? All things being equal the C370 any day.

If it was possible you could try all the amps from your list with 602S3's and I can say with confidence that the two standout amplifiers would be the RA-1062 and the C370. For a powerful, weighty and smooth sound look at the C370 and for a tight, punchy, crisp and dynamic sound the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Just wondering if you have any used equipment at musicraft? As I've just realised you're in Derby which I am currently in for the weekend. Or is everything in your shop going to be out of my price range?

Hi Michaelholder1

We don't have used/secondhand equipment. You are more than welcome to visit us though.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Freddy58 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Michaelholder1 said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi Michaelholder1

Thanks for your reply

Hold out for a RA-1062 as I truly feel it'll be worth the wait.

As for speakers if you're also going to use a sub for your surround system then use the 602.5 S3's and use the better sounding 602 S3's for your Hi-Fi. A pairing of RA-1062 and 602 S3's rocks :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Okay I will do, but in case one doesn't come for a while (as I really do want something to listen to my music on), what amps would you say compare in a similar price change in your opinion? The C370, how does the C340 compare to he 370? I take it a lot of people believe on here some of the better marantz amps compare to it. But without listening to it, it seems odd as the RA-1062 was a lot more expensive than the marantz amps new and was very highly regarded.

Hi Michaelholder1

C340 v C370? All things being equal the C370 any day.

If it was possible you could try all the amps from your list with 602S3's and I can say with confidence that the two standout amplifiers would be the RA-1062 and the C370. For a powerful, weighty and smooth sound look at the C370 and for a tight, punchy, crisp and dynamic sound the RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hang on a cotton pickin' minute! How come you say to him "All the best", and you say to me "All the beet"? Do I look like a farmer? :rofl:

Hi Freddy58

Sorry :oops: but your scary Avatar momentarily distorted my spelling :grin:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I should never buy anything before getting you to check around first! haha Well I'll see if that guy emails back about the Marantz Pm7001 you showed me first, then I think I might buy that. Thats not one of the ones you guys mentioned before mind?

T

the record spot

The list of possible amps is huge and you're unsure what you want. The Harman and the Marantz amps are good at great prices and will give you an idea of a decent starting point. Plus, I'm not sure what help a list of 100 amps is! Or more...!

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Michaelholder1 said:
I should never buy anything before getting you to check around first! haha Well I'll see if that guy emails back about the Marantz Pm7001 you showed me first, then I think I might buy that. Thats not one of the ones you guys mentioned before mind?

Michael

The price of £270 for my Marantz PM7001 amp and SA7001 sa-cd player (inc. deliverey) still stands. In my email to you i said there was no rush to buy, and advised you to have a think about it, read some reviews, and get some opinions from others on this forum. I asked you to get back to me whichever decision you came to, so the ball is in your court.

As i said to you, i wouldn't negotiate on price as i felt that my offer was fair (as others on the forum have confirmed) and i didn't see the point in asking for more, and then haggling for a final price.

Get back to me.

Cheers

steve

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
stevee1966 said:
Michael

The price of £270 for my Marantz PM7001 amp and SA7001 sa-cd player (inc. deliverey) still stands. In my email to you i said there was no rush to buy, and advised you to have a think about it, read some reviews, and get some opinions from others on this forum. I asked you to get back to me whichever decision you came to, so the ball is in your court.

As i said to you, i wouldn't negotiate on price as i felt that my offer was fair (as others on the forum have confirmed) and i didn't see the point in asking for more, and then haggling for a final price.

Get back to me.

Cheers

steve

For what it's worth, although I'm not familiar with these units, seems like a pretty good price to me...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
A man is stranded in the desert and he needs water for 5 days to get out of the desert alive. Fortunatly he finds a lamp, rubs it and a genie appears. Unfortunatly the genie will only fulfill one wish and its going to be a choice between three options, and nothing else.

1) Get 5 days worth of drinking tap water in two buckets.

2) Get 4 days worth of bottled spring water.

3) Get 3 days worth of bottled spring water and a nice drinking glass.

Which one to get? Hmmm. :?

Hint: The desert is the difficult to drive and power thirsty B&Ws, water is amplifier power, HK/Rotel/NAD are buckets, Marantz KI amps are spring water, the SACD is the drinking glass.

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I know its a good deal, but as you might have seen someone has an ad up for the amp (which im interested in mostly) for £75 which obviously is a much better option for me if he replies which as of yet he hasnt.

Well I wasnt expecting fable as an answer here haha. If the KI marantz amps are the spring water then whats the 4 days worth and whats the 3days worth?

But I understand what you're getting at, so you dont think the marantz amps are enough to power my speakers?

Michaelholder1

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331185752448?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

How does this amp stack up against the HK and Marantz deals found before do you reckon?

TRENDING THREADS