hifi lingo for the layman...

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
maxflinn:anyone fancy having a go at explaining the various hifi terms ? synergy , smooth , harsh , warm etc .. any takers ??

emotion-43.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:anyone fancy having a go at explaining the various hifi terms ? synergy , smooth , agile , attack , warm etc .. any takers ??

I'm not sure how 'more' layman those term's could get.

The one the stumps me is 'transients'...................

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:maxflinn:anyone fancy having a go at explaining the various hifi terms ? synergy , smooth , agile , attack , warm etc .. any takers ??
I'm not sure how 'more' layman those term's could get. The one the stumps me is 'transients'...................

If "synergy" is layman to you,then god help those below layman.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Synergy - as I understand it - means that a number of components flatter each other's good traits and don't emphasise the bad ones.

"The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" is the usual way of stating it.

A

Anonymous

you see guys , ive got a little review to write up in the next few days , im hoping to be able to say more then "yea these speakers sound great"
emotion-5.gif

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Synergy - as I understand it - means that a number of components flatter each other's good traits and don't emphasise the bad ones.

"The whole is greater than the sum of it's parts" is the usual way of stating it.

Transients?

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
shooter69:chebby:

Transients?

Leave it- it's a passing phase,.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Please check this posting where Andrew provided a link to an exhaustive glossary of terms used with their explanations. (Scroll to the bottom of the linked Stereophile page for the alphabetic glossary index.)

Bookmarked, thank you.

A

Anonymous

chebby:Transients = extremely brief dynamic peaks.

Snare drum = transient
It starts, it stops, quickly

A

Anonymous

i learn fast , just wait till tmw night , ill show yee how its done , in fact , i feel a phone call from a certain miz newsome coming , job interviews , salary discussions etc , be afraid , be very afraid
emotion-4.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts