Rega planar 1 plus combination

mark?

Jan 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi all,

Im new to all this new hifi equipment having not had any for the past 25 years. Im looking at purchasing a rega planar 1 plus but looking for some advice please. As it has the phone stage built in do I still require an amplifier or can I connect directly into a set of speakers.

Thanks

Mark

matthewpianist

Look at the Rega System One, which combines the Planar 1 with a Rega io amplifier and Kyte speakers. It's a tremendous vinyl system at an affordable price. If you wish to add streaming, go for a WiiM Pro Plus, and you'll have a cracking system for £1,150 total.

Hi all,

Im new to all this new hifi equipment having not had any for the past 25 years. Im looking at purchasing a rega planar 1 plus but looking for some advice please. As it has the phone stage built in do I still require an amplifier or can I connect directly into a set of speakers.

Thanks

Mark
You would need an amplifier or preamp, depending on what type of speakers you will be getting, as you need a volume control somewhere in the system.

Reactions: nopiano

Fandango Andy

Hi all,

Thanks

Mark
Phono stage is essentially a preamp you would then need an amplifier. (Some people have a phono stage as part of the record player, others have them built in to the amp, others use a totally separate one) Alternatively you could have powered speakers, which are essentially speakers with inbuilt amps.

Reactions: DougK1
Phono stage is essentially a preamp you would then need an amplifier. (Some people have a phono stage as part of the record player, others have them built in to the amp, others use a totally separate one) Alternatively you could have powered speakers, which are essentially speakers with inbuilt amps.
His suggestion of turntable might have an inbuilt phono preamp but he's still going to need a preamp with a volume control if he adds powered speakers.

Reactions: Fandango Andy
Hi all,

Thanks

Mark
Welcome to the forum!

You can only connect directly if the speakers are powered…meaning an amplifier is fitted internally. Traditional Hifi speakers are ‘passive’ meaning they have to be connected to an external amplifier.

So the system would be: Rega Planar 1 Plus into Amplifier into Pair of Speakers.

Fandango Andy

If they are powered and then how do you get at said volume control?
Volume control on one of the speakers + some have remote controls.

Here is one of about half a dozen plug and play bundles offered by a well-known retailer:

Fandango Andy

So, this but with a traditional amp including a phono stage, rather than a non-adjustable Rega with phono stage included? I agree at this price!
I would agree. My earlier comments about powered speakers were possibility rathe than a recommendation. The fewer "boxes" you have the lower the possibility to upgrade in future.

If you don't already have the record player, depending on your budget you may want to look at other models, for example Pro-Ject.

Don't blow all your budget on one component and scrimp on the amp or speakers.

Finally if you are going the traditional route, the phono stage on the turntable I'd a bit of a red herring as a good proportion of integrated amps will have a decent phono stage included.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Surely the volume control is on the amp??

Ooops, got mixed up with this reply which is just turnable & active speakers.
Volume control on one of the speakers + some have remote controls.

Here is one of about half a dozen plug and play bundles offered by a well-known retailer:

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts