What Hifi best budget systems edition c.1981?

Brewster

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

I bought a hifi set-up in about 1981 (give or take a year - from Russ Hifi in Edinburgh) following the recommendation in the UK What Hifi - Rega Planar 3, ADC VLM Mk3 cartridge, NAD 3020 amp, Mission 700 speakers. That particular edition of the mag suggested set-ups for budget, middle and high end gear. Would anyone be able to give me the publication date for that copy? Would it be available online anywhere? Nostalgia is kicking in.

Still got the Rega and NAD although the amp needs a repair. The speakers sadly weren't much good after my young son poked his fingers through the tweeters. Oh, how I laughed.

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Bruce

D

Deleted member 201267

Hi,

I bought a hifi set-up in about 1981 (give or take a year - from Russ Hifi in Edinburgh) following the recommendation in the UK What Hifi - Rega Planar 3, ADC VLM Mk3 cartridge, NAD 3020 amp, Mission 700 speakers. That particular edition of the mag suggested set-ups for budget, middle and high end gear. Would anyone be able to give me the publication date for that copy? Would it be available online anywhere? Nostalgia is kicking in.

Still got the Rega and NAD although the amp needs a repair. The speakers sadly weren't much good after my young son poked his fingers through the tweeters. Oh, how I laughed.

Thanks for any help forthcoming.

Bruce
Russ Hifi in Edinburgh - Russ Andrews by any chance ?

Brewster

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Yes, that's the place. Thanks. Northumberland Street I think? I was about 20 or 21 at the time and remember the excitement of driving through in my old Saab 96 to pick up what was my first big purchase - it was dearer than the car!

D

Deleted member 201267

Yes, that's the place. Thanks. Northumberland Street I think? I was about 20 or 21 at the time and remember the excitement of driving through in my old Saab 96 to pick up what was my first big purchase - it was dearer than the car!
Check out the Russ Andrews Accessories website as the man has come along way since the early 80's !

The fact that this system you purchased cost more than your car comes as no surprise if you check the prices of the products he now sells...

As for the magazine search hopefully someone can provide more help than i'm managing !

Brewster

Oct 14, 2023
Visit site
Charming? Don’t know about that - I’m Scottish. I might have a bash but it’s never going to reach Hugh Grant levels of charming. Wonder if a threatening letter might work instead? I could write it in a Glasgow accent for effect.

Thanks, though. If no-one can come up with the date I’ll give it a go.

Witterings

Charming? Don’t know about that - I’m Scottish. I might have a bash but it’s never going to reach Hugh Grant levels of charming. Wonder if a threatening letter might work instead? I could write it in a Glasgow accent for effect.

Thanks, though. If no-one can come up with the date I’ll give it a go.

Maybe lacking in charm .... but you have got a sense of humour ... love it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

TRENDING THREADS