Hey guys! I am trying to build my own HiFi system at home. I am new to speaker systems so some of what I am about to say may seems obvious and even dumb. But any suggestion is valuable to me!

My plan is:

Marantz CD6005 + PM5005

B&W 685 S2

I am wondering if these are good pairs, and if I need an individual amplifier for 685 S2 since it's not a very expensive & high-end speaker. Any thoughts?

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

if money permits, stretching to the PM6005 would probably benefit, but otherwise it would be a nicely balanced setup. Not sure what you mean by individual amplifier. Obviously you need an amp, but an integrated like the PM6005 is fine for the 685s.

The pm5005 is the individual amplifier you need to drive the speakers,but I think as suggested maybe get the better pm6005 and instead of the b&w's try and dem the dali ikon 1 mk2 to even up the budget,they are a steal at richer sounds at £299,they were released at close to £500 and I don't rate the b&w 685s2 as much as the hype suggests,I'd save the extra cash for the cm 1 s2's for a much better rounded speaker,but they really need a bit more amp than the pm6005 don't know quite what you mean by the b&w not being expensive or high end for the pm5005,it's a budget amp designed to drive budget speakers.the 685s2's are probably as much as you'd want on a amp of that level.

rainsoothe

Anlan Dong said:
Thanks for the reply. I am just wondering what is the difference between B&W 685 S2 and 686. They all seems pretty close but the 685 S2 is almost 20% more expensive than 686.

The 686 is smaller, and will have poorer bass response then the 685. But if you go for a Marantz setup, Dali Zensor 3 is a perfect match for the PM6005 (imo), so you can save some cash in the process. Also, if you don't need the USB slot for memory sticks, you can get a cheap Sony bluray player with digital out (otpical or coaxial) and connect it with that to the optical/coax input in the PM6005 and save even more money that way. But it will look uglier, of course.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts