Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My new receiver arrived today and I've had great fun playing with it today. That was until I turned down the volume and head a buzzing from my sub!! I've since tested power cable, no sub cable and moving the sub around. Even just plugged into the mains no where near my receiver the buzzing still sounds. Any ideas? I've resigned myself to contacting Monitor Audio on Tuesday but it would be great to find a remedy. For what it's worth, the sound apart from the buzzing is sensational! The Yammy is a beast!!

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Earth loop. Try

1 using an adapter in the same power socket as your amplifier for the sub's power;

2 if that fails, you could disconnect the earth wire at the plug on the power lead for the sub. (I had to do that for the same reason and it cured it completely.) At your own risk! The earth connection is there for safety reasons.

3 If 2 works you could disconnect the earth on the interconnect at one end and reconnect the mains earth. That is safe, but more bother.

Andrew

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Yes, there is another way. The aim is to have only one earth connection to your sub. The other way is to have only the central wire in your connection from amp to sub connecting to the sub, thus removing the other earth.

If you are very lucky you might find that you can pull the the interconnect plug from the sub so that only the centre part makes contact with the socket. If that stops the buzz then a thin layer of insulation to stop the outer parts conducting might just do the job.

Alternatively un-plug the interconnect from the sub and then connect up the centre bit of the plug and socket with a nail, straightened paperclip, any suitable conducter. Just be sure not to short your connection on the outer bits of the plug or socket and keep your hands clear of all metal bits. If the buzz goes, then try insulating the outer parts as above, or somehow destroy the connection between the outer conducting part of the cable and its plug.

Andrew

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
There will be a slight hum from the amp which should not amplify thru the speaker significantly. Was this a new sub or did u have it b4 yr new amp? Plugged into mains with no signal lead clearly removes all other kit from the equation. Does the sub volume change the hum volume? Must be other ma owners here to comment. Mornin' all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No, I've had the sub for about 4 years. The hum is loud and is the same if the sub cable is connected or not. All was fine in the morning before I disconnected my equipment before my new receiver arrived.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Almost certainlly a sub failure. Contact MA. If all else fails I would get into the sub and look to identify a transformer issue. Maybe a friendly tv repair guy? Def MA first

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails said:
No, I've had the sub for about 4 years. The hum is loud and is the same if the sub cable is connected or not. All was fine in the morning before I disconnected my equipment before my new receiver arrived.

Does the sub still hum if you try a different electrical socket ?

If so then i think i would agree with Rob

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
One remote possibility is that you loosened either the neutral wire or the earth wire in the plug when you unplugged the sub. Can you try another power lead? If not, open the power plug and check that all the connections are tight.

The article mentioned above is absolutely correct about what causes ground loop hum, and at 50 Hz, subs are the ideal machine for amplifying them. I think that the only easy way to determine if there is a fault in the sub is to (temporarily) disconnect the earth wire in the power lead to the sub and see if the buzz goes - if it does and the sub works properly, then the sub is OK, the problem is with the connections. But if you do not feel confident or safe in doing that yourself, better to talk to your dealer or sub manufacturer.

Earth loops can be difficult to sort out. Lots of trial and error. Hope it works out for you.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts