Inherited some Naim Audio units and John Bower Speakers: what to do?

Keep it all, some of it, or sell it?

• Keep it

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Sell the olive units

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sell the lot

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Matthew MSC

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Hi Everyone! Google Bard sent me here: I asked 'where can I get great advice on a second-hand Naim Audio system'.

I've just inherited a set of Naim Audio equipment, along with a pair of John Bowers Active 1 speakers, and a pair of Linn Kan speakers. They've been in storage for 17 years (climate controlled and properly packed away).

I have the following 'Olive' units:
NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
Remote control - original Naim.
Naim Audio.jpg
20230713_135134.jpg
20230713_135108.jpg

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32
(that's the Linn Kan speakers in the background: the tuner came with all the boxes, sound is crystal clear, but doesn't feel in the same league as the Naim kit).

20230715_132634.jpg
20230715_132650.jpg

The Active 1 speakers are nice:
20230708_183335.jpg

I've tested them all: all are working brilliantly, apart from 1 of the speakers gives a bit of noise when the system turns on (it dies down to zero after about 4 seconds, and then sounds perfectly good. I'm assuming this is two separate systems (or can they be plugged together?) I know some cables (of the proper quality) are missing e.g. a 5pin DIN cable from the CD player to the pre-amp, and 4pin DIN cable to the Active 1 speakers (the DIN cables between the HI-CAP and NAC 102 is there, as is the power lead between the NAP 110 and 11AG32. I've spent the massive sum of 8 quid on cheap cables to span the gap, so I know the system works (see the photo's above!)...

...There's only one problem: I'm an ex-Gunner and 11 years of 'dropping short' has rendered my left ear useless and also my right is damaged. Is there a market for this kit (if so, where?), or should I let my kids (14, 10) enjoy it?

Thanks for your time and your advice!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone! Google Bard sent me here: I asked 'where can I get great advice on a second-hand Naim Audio system'.

I've just inherited a set of Naim Audio equipment, along with a pair of John Bowers Active 1 speakers, and a pair of Linn Kan speakers. They've been in storage for 17 years (climate controlled and properly packed away).

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32
(that's the Linn Kan speakers in the background: the tuner came with all the boxes, sound is crystal clear, but doesn't feel in the same league as the Naim kit).

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

I've tested them all: all are working brilliantly, apart from 1 of the speakers gives a bit of noise when the system turns on (it dies down to zero after about 4 seconds, and then sounds perfectly good. I'm assuming this is two separate systems (or can they be plugged together?) I know some cables (of the proper quality) are missing e.g. a 5pin DIN cable from the CD player to the pre-amp, and 4pin DIN cable to the Active 1 speakers (the DIN cables between the HI-CAP and NAC 102 is there, as is the power lead between the NAP 110 and 11AG32. I've spent the massive sum of 8 quid on cheap cables to span the gap, so I know the system works (see the photo's above!)...

...There's only one problem: I'm an ex-Gunner and 11 years of 'dropping short' has rendered my left ear useless and also my right is damaged. Is there a market for this kit (if so, where?), or should I let my kids (14, 10) enjoy it?

You may have tested it but from its age it really should have a proper service. This isn't cheap.
My advice is sell the lot, as separate items on eBay or the like.
Use funds to buy something modern for the kids if necessary.

Reactions: Matthew MSC

jjbomber

Pretty much the dogs danglers back in the day. I very much doubt the kids would be interested; more likely to want a bluetooth speaker and smartphone these days, as well as some headphones or ear pods.

So, sale it is. Two choices being auction (Flea Bay) or fixed price sites (AVForums). First one gets you less money but is easy. Second one involves you doing some market research on pricing etc. but you would get the market value.

If it was me, I'd keep them for sentimental reasons!

Pretty much the dogs danglers back in the day. I very much doubt the kids would be interested; more likely to want a bluetooth speaker and smartphone these days, as well as some headphones or ear pods.

So, sale it is. Two choices being auction (Flea Bay) or fixed price sites (AVForums). First one gets you less money but is easy. Second one involves you doing some market research on pricing etc. but you would get the market value.

If it was me, I'd keep them for sentimental reasons!
fleabay probably gets to more viewers, market value is only what someone is prepared to pay for it.
But you are right both will need some knowledge of what they could possibly be worth.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

Are your children interested in music? What I mean by that is really interested, not just following the latest come and go disposable music industry fashion statements. If the answer to that is "...no they're not interested in music", then it's pretty doubtful that they would even know how to use this kit, or how to treat it so that it'll last. Unless you're interested in music yourself and like the idea of collecting some CDs so you can explore the music that's out there on CD, then I reckon you should sell all of it.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

I've had a thought. Why don't you keep it, start listening to classical music. Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, to name a couple.Baroque is very nice and easy to listen to if your not familiar with classical music.
I don't mean to make assumptions about you, or to patronise you, but classical music is wonderfully healing, relaxing and good for one's soul. This could be an option that would give you hours of indescribably beautiful pleasure.

I've had a thought. Why don't you keep it, start listening to classical music. Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethoven, to name a couple.Baroque is very nice and easy to listen to if your not familiar with classical music.
I don't mean to make assumptions about you, or to patronise you, but classical music is wonderfully healing, relaxing and good for one's soul. This could be an option that would give you hours of indescribably beautiful pleasure.
Could you please stick to answering the OPs question.
Thanks

Reactions: doifeellucky

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

I'd get it all serviced , especially the speakers (they look drop dead gorgeous} then, well, unless you need the money it would raise I'd let the kids enjoy it. And I don't believe it matters what they listen to the soundstage etc will make a huge difference to them. My Father always gave me his hand me downs until I started giving him my hand me downs :). I really think it will start them down a path of listening to music as an active rather than a passive activity.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
If you don’t have boxes for this stuff it will be very hard to sell as you’ll be limited to surrounding area narrowing your pool of potential buyers. But yes there is a healthy market for naim gear.

Personally I’d say let your kids enjoy it and open them up to world of music and what better way to do it. But that’s just me.

Matthew MSC

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
You may have tested it but from its age it really should have a proper service. This isn't cheap.
My advice is sell the lot, as separate items on eBay or the like.
Use funds to buy something modern for the kids if necessary.

As I've never serviced a hifi (apart from dusting it!): when you say "this isn't cheap": how much are we talking here? 300 quid? 800 quid? Any guide? I ask for a simple reason: I have no clue, and this is a new world to me (I thought my Wharfedale system from 20 years ago is/was perfectly good!)

jjbomber

As I've never serviced a hifi (apart from dusting it!): when you say "this isn't cheap": how much are we talking here? 300 quid? 800 quid? Any guide? I ask for a simple reason: I have no clue, and this is a new world to me (I thought my Wharfedale system from 20 years ago is/was perfectly good!)
If you're selling it, you won't get back the cost of the servicing.

D

Deleted member 201267

NA CDX - cd player
HI-CAP - power supply
NAC 102 - pre-amp
View attachment 4905
View attachment 4906
View attachment 4907

Then I have:
NAP 110
11AG32

View attachment 4908
View attachment 4909

View attachment 4910

You might want to try the Naim audio forum :-

D

Deleted member 201267

eBay is also a place you can see what similar items have sold for in the past.
I agree but the Naim forum would be the best place for Naim product info i guessed, plus, someone on there may be tempted to buy the lot.

Reactions: Al ears
I agree but the Naim forum would be the best place for Naim product info i guessed, plus, someone on there may be tempted to buy the lot.
They may be indeed. Best to seek multiple sources first as what it's worth might be.
Any Naim forum member interested in buying might suggest it's worth peanuts.... Call me cynical if you like. :cool:
Once had someone tell me my EB2 speakers were not worth anything as they were the original review pair....

Matthew MSC

Jul 15, 2023
Visit site
Many thanks to everyone for the advice and knowledge!

Looks like we'll be keeping the kit: the wife wants the tuner and Linn Kan speakers in the kitchen, and the kids will get to use the 'Olive' kit (now that a mate has said that he'll make the cables I need to connect our record player).

TRENDING THREADS