Advice needed: digital music with Naim Nait 1 and Linn Kans

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first post so hello to everyone :)

I have a Naim Nait 1 integrated amp and Linn Kan speakers, both bought around 1982 and hardly used since 1987. The Nait has lost its on/off knob, so I need to get that fixed.

I'd like to start using them again and would appreciate suggestions about a suitable digital source to use for mp3 and higher quality audio files. Or can I just connect the Nait's tuner or tape DIN sockets to my Vaio laptop via a suitable cable?

Sadly, I no longer have the original floor stands for the Kans or the speaker cables. But in any case, in my current room (3.5 x 7 metres) I would need wall fixings for the Kans - can anyone recommend some, along with speaker cables.

I have quite a lot of vinyl and mp3 files but hardly any CDs, and I live in Spain (60 miles from Barcelona) but I do visit the UK regularly.

Later on I may decide to fit my Garrard 301 (needs plinth) or Thorens TD124 mk II (has a plinth but also a rumble problem and takes ages to reach 33 rpm) with a new and unused Rega arm I bought in 1988. Would need a cartridge.

Or should I just sell the lot (Nait and Kans seem to have kept their resale value) and start from scratch? I would like to be able to use headphones and the Nait doesn't have a socket.

Music tastes are pretty eclectic: rock, indie, jazz, blues, reggae, classical, world music.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Jeff Greensmith, Tarragona, Spain

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Jeff and welcome.

My first and most crucial question is, how much money do you have to spend?.......everything else will depend on this.

My second question is how do you like your music presented ie. More forward and analytical or smoother but lively and detailed?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying

Price: haven't given it a lot of thought yet, but if I stay with the Kans and Nait I might spend up to a 1000, although I'd prefer to spend less.

If I sell them and start from scratch, say, 2.000-2.500 total for amp, tuner, digital 'front end' and speakers.

Music presentation, more toward 'forward and analytical' but not tiring.

Hope that's enough info, thanks again!

Jeff

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would be inclined to start again as old gear can have it's problems.

So where to start....maybe something like:
- UnitiLite http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitilite or
- UnitiQute http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/unitiqute

- I would combine this with PMC DB1i / Twenty.21 or
- Neat Classic Petite SX

If the Speakers put you too much over budget, either get 2nd hand or ex-dem or hang on to your Linn Kans provided they are still in good shape.

Make sure you go and demo these combinations before deciding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts