Help, too much choice?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I thought I had it sussed when I had narrowed my choice of 32"lcd tv down to 3.

Toshiba 32c3035, Sony 32s3000, and the Panasonic tx32lmd70.

I will be watching mostly sd content, and am not planning to buy any hd devices it the near future.

However do I go for one of the above three which are good for sd content I am led to believe,

OR do I go for something like the Sony 32d3000 or the Panasonic tx32lxd70 for the time when I will buy hd devices.

Any help appreciated?

A

Anonymous

Between the Toshiba 32c3035, the Sony 32s3000 and the Panasonic tx32lmd70, I would definitely choose the Panasonic. This is because, having seen all of these tvs in action, I believe that that the Panasonic has the best picture quality, with SD sources especially, and also HD. Speaking of HD, even though you say that you're not going to buy an HD player at the moment, you mention that you may in the future and if that is the case then you need to make sure your tv will accept a 1080p feed at 24 frames per second (also known as 1080/24p). The Panasonic tx32lmd70 will accept such a feed, unlike the Sony 32s3000 which will only take 1080/50i or 1080/60i at the most which means it just isn't adequately futureproofed. The Sony will still be compatible with Blu-ray or HD-DVD, but as it cannot handle 24fps then you will end up with an image that judders or stutters when there is motion, such as a camera pan. I'm not completely sure where the Toshiba 32c3035 stands with regards to 1080/24p - I think it will accept, however, I do not think the performance of this set is up there with that of the Panasonic, or even the Sony, apart from when playing back 1080/24p material, obviously.

So, I would absolutely recommend the Panasonic out of these three tvs. This is not just to do with the 1080/24p issue, important as that is, but is a lot to do with the Panny's overall performance in terms of picture quality. It really does offer a very good, stable picture, whether that's with it's onboard Freeview (or it's analogue) tuner, upscaled DVD or native high-def material such as Blu-ray, which it really shines with. The Sony mostly offers good picture performance aswell, but the lack of 1080/24p really does let it down. However, even if it wasn't for the 1080/24p issue, the Panasonic would still have a better picture overall.

In fact, the only problem with the Panasonic tx32lmd70 is occasionally with fast motion it can have a tendency to blur or lose resolution. This is only a small problem which is rarely noticeable, but if after viewing the tv for yourself, you find it bothers you, then you may want to try the higher spec Panasonic you mention - the tx32lxd70, which has a 100Hz thingy which basically doubles the frame rate to make motion flow more smoothly. This is actually the only difference between this tv and it's less expensive sibling the tx32lmd70, apart from the more expensive model's slightly higher claimed contrast ratio of 8500:1 compared to 7000:1, which isn't a huge difference. How important these two features are is something that you will have to decide for yourself. In my opinion, the cheaper tx32lmd70 is nearly as good as the tx32lxd70.

The other tv you mention is the Sony 32d3000 which is a very good tv, and unlike it's cheaper sibling, does accept HD material at the optimum 1080/24p. Again, though, I think that it's picture is beaten by it's Panny rival, the tx32lxd70. In fact I probably prefer the cheaper Panny (tx32lmd70) to the more expensive Sony 32d3000. I'm getting confused myself writing this!

Basically, if it was up to me I would pick either of the two Pannys which are both as futureproofed as you could possibly want, but more importantly for you, they excel at standard-def aswell. Having said this, different people prefer different characteristics of a picture, and for this reason you may prefer the picture of the Sony 32d3000, so make sure you demo that one too.

I know at the beginning of your post you said that you are not planning on getting an HD source in the near future, but you also said you may get one eventually - for this reason I would say that you must get a set which is compatible with 1080/24p. So to conclude, it's between either of the two Panny's and the Sony 32d3000. I would go for the Panasonic tx32lmd70. You must see these three tvs in action before you decide which to buy, so make sure you visit a shop even if you plan to buy online. Good luck mate.

A

Anonymous

Hi Benjamin (and anyone else!)
I'm considering the Panasonic TX37LZD70(cost around £820) - do you have any views on this model and what about the Philips 37PFL9732 (cost around £1,400)?
Regards Derek

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Panasonic Derek. The Philips is an impressive set but has it's fair share of problems and I find the whole Ambilight thing a bit gimmicky. The Panasonic is good value and is an excellent LCD.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your view. And would you go for the Panasonic home cinema kit to match: SC-PTX7EBK (cost around £600) or would you spend say double (around £1,200) on the sound system (I do like to play music on CDs) - but I do want a system that's easy to connect and operate with one remote control.
Derek

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply Benjamin,

If I have got it straight, to be sure to be future proofed I need to go for either one of the Panasonics( lmd70 or lxd70) or the Sony d3000.

Will need to get myself down to showroom to look at pics and then decide.

A

Anonymous

Hi Derek. The Panasonic TX-37LZD70 is an excellent performing set. I believe that the Philips 37PFL9732 is pretty good also, although I have not actually seen, or read a review of this particular size of this model. I know that the 32" version is very good as I have seen for myself, and have also read the review in What Hi-Fi. However, out of these two I much prefer the Panasonic, which also happens to be considerably less expensive.

One other set which I should draw your attention to is Panasonic's other 37" set - the TX-37PX70 which unlike the 'full HD' LCD TX-37LZD, is an 'HD ready' plasma. 'Full HD' means a native resolution of 1080p, while 'HD ready' basically means a native resolution of 720p. The lower resolution is not all bad though, as it tends to mean a better picture when displaying standard-def sources such as DVD, or Freeview via the onboard tuner. The reason for this is that there is less scaling involved to make the standard-def picture fit the screen's resolution. Also, some people prefer the image that plasma panels produce, as they tend to have more realistic colours and deeper blacks, and handle motion better.

That said, some favour LCD as it has it's own advantages including brighter colours, and potentially a sharper image with HD content partly because it is possible to fit more pixels into an LCD than a plasma. This is why it is possible to have a 37" LCD with a resolution of 1080p, but not a 37" plasma (or not yet anyway).

Anyway, back to the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 that you mentioned, it is a superb tv. And if you absolutely definitely want a 37" LCD then it is the best there is. And as a bonus it's extremely good value too. One other option is to go for the slightly bigger 42" plasma version - the TX-42PZ70, which does have the 'full HD' resolution of 1080p, and the advantages of plasma.

However, if you most certainly have to have a 37" LCD then you should go for the Panasonic TX-37LZD70. I would pick one of those over the Philips 37PFL9732 that you mentioned, even if they were the same price. Having said this, I would feel really bad if someone bought a tv on my advice alone, without seeing it for real, and making comparisons to other tvs. This is because there is always an element of personal preference, especially with tv images. So, make sure you see these tvs in action before making your final choice. Once again though, the Panasonic TX-37LZD70 is an excellent, excellent tv so if you did go straight out and buy it you certainly wouldn't regret it. Regards.

A

Anonymous

Hi Benjamin, Many, many thanks for your detailed advice. What do you suggest re surround sound to go with (with a budget of around £1,200)? Derek
Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

A

Anonymous

Er, is the £1200 budget for just the surround system (which would be very good) or for both the tv and the sound system?

A

Anonymous

I was thinking around £1,200, maybe more, for the surround sound. Derek

A

Anonymous

We should really be in the Home Cinema forum, Derek, so you may want to re post there. £1200+ seems a lot to budget for given the screen size you are buying. What dvd player are you currently using and will that be part of the up-grade?. Room size would be another consideration.

A

Anonymous

Hello Derek. You may well be interested in the Arcam Solo Movie. It is available in a 2.1 or the full surround sound 5.1 channel version. They both consist of a high-end DVD player (which has upscaling to a resolution of 720p or 1080i. Both of these resolutions will work perfectly with your Panasonic PX70 tv), an amplifier for either: two speakers (for the 2.1 version) or five speakers (for the 5.1 version), a DAB digital radio and an FM tuner aswell, and also it will switch between two external sources plugged into it's two HDMI inputs on the back, and then output via a single HDMI lead to the tv. So basically it's a complete home cinema 'in a box' - a DVD player and amplifier for either two or five speakers. The reason I think you will like them very much is because you mentioned music, and these Arcams excel with music as well as movies, which is rare in 'one-box' systems like this. Unfortunately they are over your budget - the 2.1 channel version is £1450 and the 5.1 version is £2000 - and that don't include any speakers I'm afraid. I would recommend that you seriously consider it though as it really is a premium system, performing brilliantly with movies and music.

A

Anonymous

Hi Benjamin
Many thanks for your suggestions - your recommendations are though, well over my budget and, as you say, they don't include speakers (which speakers would you recommend by the way?) I'll have to see whether I can get planning permission!
Regards Derek
P.S. I've just had a web search and see that Billy Vee Sound Systems (http://www.badaweb.co.uk/billyvee/extra234.html) have a special offer of the Solo Movie 2.1 including speakers for £1950 - mmn - I'll have to think about this - maybe it's possible!

A

Anonymous

Hi Benjamin
I've now visited the Sound and Vision exhibition and listened to the Arcam Solo 2.1. I was very impressed with the sound and have ordered it! Very many thanks for your suggestion. I've provisionally also ordered the matching speakers and subwoofer. Do you think this is a good match or would you suggest I listen to something else? My dealer is Sevenoaks Sound and Vision (Tunnbridge Wells branch).
Best wishes Derek
P.S. Sorry for miss-posting - but wanted to finalise the thread!

A

Anonymous

hi daz.
i did exctly as you have done and i ended up getting down to the more expensive ones that are better for the hd devices. I looked at the Sony KDL D3000 hooked up to an Sky HD box and the 60gb PS3 and it got my vote over the Panasonic TX 32 LXD70 which i fully intended to buy prior to seeing the sony. I found the menu's easier to use and better color on the Sony and it had the option to turn off the TV sound function when connecting to an amp or audio system which i could't find on the pana. There's not much in it though with these too... Oh you can turn the 100 hz processer off on the Sony aswell but cant on the pana.
Cheers

TRENDING THREADS