Question Will 4K streaming content work on 1080p plasma?

doifeellucky

If I buy content in 4K am I likely to experience any issues playing on my existing 1080 plasma? I’ll be upgrading to 4K fairly soon and the 4K version is the same price as the 1080 version. I’ve seen comments that downscaling can cause stuttering and wondered if anyone had actual experience of doing this. I have the Amazon 4K stick and a 400 mbs connection. Thanks in advance for any help with this.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
The problem is that no proper TV company uses 4k ie Channel 4 ITV The question is why ? Shame is that 4k and now 8k TVs are in every ones home now okay nearly everyone . Yet they refused to transmit in 4k So having a plasma as a second tv is no barrier at all. Just saves me money from buying a new one

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Hang on - you're advocating ditching conventional TV in another thread, and now the fact that those services don't do 4k is a problem?

There's plenty of 4k streaming, as you well know.
I want conventional TV to be ditched for a number of reasons 1. ugly aerials now 56 element 2 those frequencies to be used for other services including amateur radio usage and local TV ( that was promised by the last Government and not for Mobile phone operators . As i have mentioned 4k is only available on dvds and internet services like Netflix Oh yes one does BT ultra sports.. Personally even the days of the dish are numbered too or should have been ,if Sky had not signed a new agreement . Note my dishes are at ground level . and i do not ever had a TV aerial here. But it is clear 4k is here to stay but would be nice if all transmissions was on 4k and 1080P now. By the way what happened to 8k ? However my plasma lives on for another year maybe 4K streaming there may be but not 4 k real transmissions why? love to know that question

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Again there is a problem about streaming the minimum for netlix ( streaming ) is that it will not get out of bed is less than 30mps Only need to have 2 people in the same house either streaming vids or games to have a slowing down problem (hence why so many buy 4k dvds) Would not matter whether had a plasma or not . Ideally need at least 70 mps . We live in rural areas and sorry to say . what we want here ,we cannot have why ? because Giga clear ? is not allowed by BT/Sky to get a foothold in this road we live in. That is too say the parent company needs there permission to use there space. yes they could dig up the road again and close parts of it , to do the work. Having spoken to the manager of "Giga" , while he was doing a survey. He said same problem Openreach We need there permission to share the same space. I said all they have to do is having a nice relationship ,where everyone gets along nicely Openreach charges you guys a charge of using it . wow so easy . otherwise what will happen was when NTL started destroying pavements and killing trees . Just because BT was not happy. Wow they could have made a killing on this . But we was the ones in Barking that suffered . By the way NTL went broke ,after this. The first ever streaming service back in 2000 . ( i can say i was the first person ever inChadwell heath to have that service compared with V50/75 it was like being on another planet in those days i would download probably 30 films at once 24 hours) Then we got a massive half a meg speed . As a pre-customer ., mine was a lot .lot faster. No 4k then . Only get a decent 4k streaming when everyone ,comes to an agreement on this . Note Super fiber is available just one hundred meters away. take the view 1080P is not so bad after all

Never had a problem with streaming in 4k, even with others in the house - and our internet speed varies quite considerably.
Yes, I've never had issues with Netflix 4K streaming either and many in the household are online at the same time.

You need only 15mbps for 4K streaming.

Reactions: daveh75

daveh75

Oh good, another ill informed, incoherent rant!

You're still yet to discover paragraphs I notice...

Again there is a problem about streaming the minimum for netlix ( streaming ) is that it will not get out of bed is less than 30mps Only need to have 2 people in the same house either streaming vids or games to have a slowing down problem (hence why so many buy 4k dvds) Would not matter whether had a plasma or not . Ideally need at least 70 mps .

Nope, 4K/UHD only requires 15Mbps as others have said.

We live in rural areas and sorry to say . what we want here ,we cannot have why ? because Giga clear ? is not allowed by BT/Sky to get a foothold in this road we live in.That is too say the parent company needs there permission to use there space.

Firstly, BT or Sky has no sway in who operates where.

The Likes of OFCOM and the CMA would have something to say about it if they did.

Secondly BT and Sky don't have any "Space". The "last mile" infrastructure they use is owned and operated by Openreach.

yes they could dig up the road again and close parts of it , to do the work. Having spoken to the manager of "Giga" , while he was doing a survey. He said same problem Openreach We need there permission to share the same space. I said all they have to do is having a nice relationship ,where everyone gets along nicely Openreach charges you guys a charge of using it

As part of the incumbent (BT Group), Openreach are obliged by the regulator to allow access to their "passive infrastructure' (poles, ducts and foot/roadway boxes) to "Altnets" via the PIA (Passive Infrastructure Agreement) scheme to run their cables.

Yes it's essentially a licensing scheme with prices set by the regulator, but it's considerably cheaper than Altnets having to do their own civils.

As a commercial entity, busy investing billions upgrading their own infrastructure, why shouldn't they charge other companies for access?

Particulary when it isn't reciprocal.

VM and the Altnets are not obliged to allow Openreach to use their infrastructure....

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
A TV is only as good as the the input ? A 75 inch Sony will probably no look t great on a poor internet connection. Any flaws on the incoming signal including live TV will show worse than a 50 inch Hisense with OLED. 4k vs 1080P not a lot in it in my view , as long as the screen is less than 50 inch . Everything depends on someone having 20 20 vision too as well .

A TV is only as good as the the input ? A 75 inch Sony will probably no look t great on a poor internet connection. Any flaws on the incoming signal including live TV will show worse than a 50 inch Hisense with OLED. 4k vs 1080P not a lot in it in my view , as long as the screen is less than 50 inch . Everything depends on someone having 20 20 vision too as well .
The biggest factor is viewing distance that's right for the size.

Judging by the focus of reviews these days, and the emphasis in pricing by retailers, 55” seems like a very popular size these days.

daveh75

I will point out that 'Superfast' broadband*
coverage has reached 97.5% of homes across the UK now, and just for context that is more than either the full DTT (Freeview) service or DSAT (Sky/Freesat) achieves.

*Superfast broadband is defined as a connection able to deliver 30Mbps or above.

So as a minimum, enough to stream in 4K/UHD and still have enough headroom to do other things at the same time...

Reactions: doifeellucky

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I think that's what you want to believe...
The problem is it is true !

See guys like to keep up with mr Jones next door ( its natural thing for us humans to think so) he just bought a so and so , so i must buy better.
Here we live next door bought a 70 inch QLED/OLED and got fast fiber . within months and i mean 3 months . of the 38 properties in this close. I notice at least a dozen bought the same size TV or bigger currently the biggest here is 90 inches . Everyone has the ability to stream now at 70/80 mps download speeds. As far as Plasma tvs are concerned . there only disadvantage to a cheap 4k tv is the fact the internet capabilities are not supported anymore . So have to fit a Amazon stick at 4k or 1080P . And hey presto you have the ability to stream but here is the interesting thing about my Panasonic . I can use my Panasonic remote instead of the Amazon remote . And send emails and search the net. and off course stream. So yes a lot of life on those plasma i would advise get yourself a 50 /60 inch later model for under £90

Or alternatively, some buy newer/bigger/better sets because they care about picture quality. Not everyone is motivated primarily by what others think, though I accept that many are. And regarding vision, just get glasses.

I know that you are unlikely to accept it, but plasma had its day and speaking from personal experience has been bettered.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts