Help needed with a Marantz 44SE amplifier

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi could anyone help me please I have a Marantz 44se Amplifier - I have recently hooked it up to a pair of mission speakers and noticed the volume control is back to from ...IE the loudest setting is actually the lowest and vice versa...this seems a bit odd am I missing something please?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to the forum Karen.

When you turn the volume knob clockwise it gets quiter or louder? Is there any wiggling and play of the volume knob?

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Vladimir *biggrin* - when i turn it clockwise it gets louder - but the dial goes down in number order so i am guessing it should go quieter - or am i being totally stupid lol?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
KarenH said:
Thank you Vladimir *biggrin* - when i turn it clockwise it gets louder - but the dial goes down in number order so i am guessing it should go quieter - or am i being totally stupid lol?

It's all good then. Just ignore the markings.

Think of it as a valve. The amp wants to go as loud as possible by default and the volume pot keeps it shut. Just like water tap.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks - I guess thats why I had never noticed before
confused_smile.gif
it seemed right but when i looked at the numbers on the dial they were back to front lol .... sorry to be a pain but what do the numbers signify then?

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
the other reason I noticed was because I have just bought a Marantz CD player from someone and it appears one of the speaker outputs is faulty - it only plays on one speaker - however the TV and the tuner are fine on both - this guy says the fault is not with the CD player he sold me - but i have swapped leads etc etc and it just does not play out of one of the speakers (makes a sound like one of the speakers has blown
confused_smile.gif

.... i am sorry maybe I should have started a different thread - its been a while since I used forums - But the music bug has kicked in again lol

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
KarenH said:
Thanks - I guess thats why I had never noticed before it seemed right but when i looked at the numbers on the dial they were back to front lol .... sorry to be a pain but what do the numbers signify then?

The markings are arbitrary. They don't tell the actual loudness in the room, even though they are expressed in decibels. Some amps just have 0-10 markings. Best to just ignore the markings and remember the volume knob positions as the dial on the clock for your own reference.

BTW that is a very good amplifier. The boss of the biggest European jazz & contemporary classical music record company, Manfred Eicher of ECM Records, uses one in his office to browse through new musician demo CDs. Click for photo.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
KarenH said:
the other reason I noticed was because I have just bought a Marantz CD player from someone and it appears one of the speaker outputs is faulty - it only plays on one speaker - however the TV and the tuner are fine on both - this guy says the fault is not with the CD player he sold me - but i have swapped leads etc etc and it just does not play out of one of the speakers (makes a sound like one of the speakers has blown

.... i am sorry maybe I should have started a different thread - its been a while since I used forums - But the music bug has kicked in again lol

Did you swap the leads between CD and amp? It's either faulty cables or faulty CD player.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks :) - I had an ex who appears to have left me with a love for Marantz seperates hehe - I suppose i could be called biased now lol - I searched for this older amp because it was A: in my price bracket at the time and B: I remember him once saying it was a good old classic haha - hey thats something positive I took from a broken relationship! - Result!

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I have some new QED cables that i bought for the CD player - I swapped them for an old standard set and both had the same result - also if i swapped the left and rights still on both sets only one speaker works ....... I think I have probs answered my own question then? ...faulty CD player?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
KarenH said:
I have some new QED cables that i bought for the CD player - I swapped them for an old standard set and both had the same result - also if i swapped the left and rights still on both sets only one speaker works ....... I think I have probs answered my own question then? ...faulty CD player?

Yep. If you got it from ebay just return it and ask for a refund.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Now dilemma the guy has offered to refund but I have been after this particular model for a while 6000 OSE limited edition .... He says it worked perfectly before he shipped it and it could just be a solder joint on the output has come away ... Would this be expensive to fix ? The u it itself is in excellent condition ... It came in the original box with remote etc and has been looked after .... So .... Do I get it looked at or could it be something more expensive and do I just return it .....

KarenH said:
Now dilemma the guy has offered to refund but I have been after this particular model for a while 6000 OSE limited edition .... He says it worked perfectly before he shipped it and it could just be a solder joint on the output has come away ... Would this be expensive to fix ? The u it itself is in excellent condition ... It came in the original box with remote etc and has been looked after .... So .... Do I get it looked at or could it be something more expensive and do I just return it .....

The problem is these Marantzes are of an antiquated nature (in hi-fi terms), and if one thing starts going wrong, the chances other issues may crop up.

I suppose it'll depend on how far you're prepared to stretch your budget. Personally I would knock it on the head and look at a newer Marantz, such as PM-7001 or this one or other makes like Roksan Kandy LIII.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If there is one cold solder joint, usually there will be many more. Reflowing hundreds (more likely thousands) of solder joints is very costly servicing, that significantly excedes this CDP value.

If there is one cold solder joint because the unit was knocked or droped on the ground or kicked, during shipping, you really don't want it. The number of damages that could be there is endless. Worst being ICs ripped off their solder joints or even broken PCB traces. Also possible it is a dead component (op-amp for example).

You want a functioning unit. This one isn't. Best to return it.

I see several Marantz CD-6000 OSE on ebay.co.uk, even new laser assemblies sold as spare parts (you will need one of those eventually).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
KarenH said:

Plug the cd player into another input like the Tuner, see if that makes a difference.

KarenH

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all after much fiddling I have decided to look for another and return it ..... so the search goes on haha *man_in_love*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
KarenH said:
one quick question....am I right in thinking the higher the number the better the player?

With newer Marantz players and amps with two digit model number it's the oposite. Just like the volume knob. *biggrin* Example PM-14 is higher class than PM-17. Their older gear from the 80s was two digit and the bigger number was better.

With the models measured in thousands, the bigger number is better. Those with SE (Special Edition) are even better and those with KI signature (Ken Ishiwata) are considered the best.

Is this enough or do you want to know more?

TRENDING THREADS