Has your taste in music changed over the years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
I am forever seeking out new music, new to me that is, which is why I use Spotify a lot. In the last couple of weeks I have been running through the Art Pepper (the fisherman) recordings made at Ronnie Scotts,

Spooky, so have I recently! That was on the back of reading a Michael Connolly novel on holiday where the main character was listening to this Art Pepper boxset.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
davedotco said:
I am forever seeking out new music, new to me that is, which is why I use Spotify a lot. In the last couple of weeks I have been running through the Art Pepper (the fisherman) recordings made at Ronnie Scotts,

Spooky, so have I recently! That was on the back of reading a Michael Connolly novel on holiday where the main character was listening to this Art Pepper boxset.

Hieronymus Bosch is an authority on american jazz, well worth listening to his recommendations.

Then of course John Rebus has a somewhat eclectic taste in 70s english and scottish rock, again worth investigations.

And then the Chris Carter novels contain multiple references to 'the greatest band in the history of the world', the heroes are detectives Robert Hunter and Carlos (?) Garcia.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
DIB said:
davedotco said:

Echo Park by any chance?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Mine has changed quite a bit,was into Prog Rock and groups like Led Zepp, the Who and the Doors, most of the Prog Rock I don't play anymore and other 70s groups get little play although I still play some Pink Floyd. More into vocals, celtic, alt country, blues and jazz now,Art Pepper is one of my favourites. Even play some classical.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
I am far more open to new music now than I ever have been before, although modern pop music, and the various genres of rap leave me totally cold. Me Too. Although I still listen to Eagles.Doobie Bros.Dr Longhair,Cream,Average White Band,Dylan,RoyOrbison,Buddy Holly,Otis Redding,Marvin Gaye,Janis Joplin.Mammas and Pappas,Led Zepp,Joe Cocker,Bob Marley Gypsy Kings,Tony Joe White,Van Morrison,and much more from the old Days upto about 2002.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Macspur said:
gangster wrap

Is that what David Cameron meant by 'hug a hoodie'?

Damn! meant to check that before submitting!

smiley-embarassed.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My preference for radio drama, comedy, history, other documentary etc. (speech based) material has burgeoned from what it was 10 years ago when the only radio was FM and ... err ... FM.

I've always considered radio a primary source but now it's amazing with BBC iPlayer radio and hundreds of BBC CDs (ripped to iTunes) and podcasts and good quality (256K) downloads from AudioGo and online archive material to add to FM.

AirPlay was the cherry on the icing on the cake.

All of the above now account now for at least 80 percent of my listening and music about 20 percent. 10 years ago it was probably more like 50/50 so the wonderful technology has allowed me to move away from music as a staple and become more discriminating in what music I do listen to.

I also use the system to enhance sound from DVDs and Blu-ray and TV and PVR recordings when appropriate.

TBH a lot of music I played in the past was only played in the gaps between things I really wanted to listen to, or for pleasant background to reading or working.

Music has it's place - of course - but once i've heard something and then heard it again (and again and again), I really do lose interest in it. (At least the rock/pop stuff anyway.) I am not in the business of playing the 'soundtrack to my youth' over and over. Nostalgia is vastly overrated and ultimately unsatisfying.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Not massively no, but then I probably had quite strange taste for a child. I would say my taste has broadened though, I listen to most genres from electro, mainstream guitar based stuff and classical. I find I like the contrast of changing from electro music to more organic music having listened to one for a couple of hours.

I would say it is likely that some music I still listen to that I go into when I was young, had a I heard it for the first time now I may not like. I guess familiarity and nostalgia play a part.

At the risk of sounding like everyone of a certain age throughout the history of music most of the stuff kids listen to today is so, so bad. Which is partially annoying as it also coincides with a change in public attitude in terms of selfishness with music in public areas with loud headphones or even kids playing through their phone speakers. At first I thought this music was some sub genre and almost the music equivalent of an old ‘B Movie’ but I realised this rubbish is actually mainstream and incredibly popular. So cheesy and naff, right I’ve gone off topic on a rant.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Modern pop is music for music's sake - it's meaningless but not totally without merit. Listening to pop is a way in for most and leads to an enjoyment of music. It's how I first become interested in listening to music and my tastes have expanded hugely beyond that.

Still, I have never listened to much in the way of jazz/blues/soul/motown. Genres I'm yet to explore. Most music I purchase is based on recommendations and I know very little about those genres.

Paul.

Macspur said:
The only genres I can't listen to are hip hop and gangster wrap.

Each to there own, if you fancy giving some of the better stuff a go, you could try these tracks... There is usually good music in every genre, its just some genres take more effort to find it!

Jurassic 5 - Thin Line

Aesop Rock - Five Fingers

Aesop Rock - Daylight

Abdominal & DJ Fase - Fly Antics

DJ Format - The Place

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I grew up on the staples of '60s and early '70s British pop/rock: Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Elton John. My first big 'discovery' was Springsteen in the mid '70s. Virtually no-one at my school (in the home counties) had heard of him.

Since then my listening has broadened, as I've 'discovered' styles of music that were new to me (e.g. soul, reggae, and world music esp. African and Latin-American) or new trends have emerged (from punk onwards).

I now listen to much more classical music than I used, and of a wider range of classical genres/types (e.g. early music, opera).

I still have some blind spots. I've never got on with metal of any sort or C&W.

I still love Springsteen, and now Mrs49 and the two teenie 49 girls have 'discovered' him. We went to both London shows this summer together. Happy days.

I reckon some of the music my kids listen to is pretty good, now they've got over the Bieber/One Direction phase.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Paul. said:
Macspur said:
The only genres I can't listen to are hip hop and gangster wrap.

Each to there own, if you fancy giving some of the better stuff a go, you could try these tracks... There is usually good music in every genre, its just some genres take more effort to find it!

Jurassic 5 - Thin Line

Aesop Rock - Five Fingers

Aesop Rock - Daylight

Abdominal & DJ Fase - Fly Antics

DJ Format - The Place

The 80 - 20 rule has always been a decent guide when it comes to popular music of all kinds, 'pop' music has always been more about lifestyle and fashion and as you get older these things become less important.

I find much modern hip-hop and r 'n b to be faintly repulsive, not so much musically but in terms of the other factors, but then I am not exactly 'street' these days. That said I have enjoyed Ben Drew in recent years and Jay-Z's set at Glastonbury where he opened with Wonderwall was a hoot but generally I avoid the genre.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
fr0g said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
99% of modern pop music sucks.

Define pop music.

The stuff that's in the charts.

more than 99% of modern pop music never reaches the charts. And much of it is excellent.

I agree that there's plenty of good modern music still being produced. But most of the stuff that's in the charts or played on Radio 1 Is awful.

Obviously this is just my opinion and the sales figures for this music shows that there are plenty of people who like and buy it. I'm probably just getting old and think that the yoof of today have no tastre in music. I bet most of the old fogies on here agree with me though.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
fr0g said:
steve_1979 said:
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
99% of modern pop music sucks.

Define pop music.

The stuff that's in the charts.

more than 99% of modern pop music never reaches the charts. And much of it is excellent.

I agree that there's plenty of good modern music still being produced. But most of the stuff that's in the charts or played on Radio 1 Is awful.

Obviously this is just my opinion and the sales figures for this music shows that there are plenty of people who like and buy it. I'm probably just getting old and think that the yoof of today have no tastre in music. I bet most of the old fogies on here agree with me though.

I was born before the moon landings...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts