Has your taste in music changed over the years?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This topic was inspired after reading a post of Chebby's, where he said that his taste in music had changed so dramatically since his teens, 20s and 30s, that he was happy to sell on most of what he listened to back then.

When I look at my own taste, it has certainly expanded over the years to include, for example, the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Nat King Cole; but i feel quite a lot of it was forged back in my teens and early 20s, and so a great deal of what I listened to back then, I now enjoy as much as ever.

So my question is to you oldies is this - How, and to what (if any) extent, has your listening habits matured over the years?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Trefor Patten said:
Yes it has.I used to love prog rock and folk.Now I like folk and Jazz.Not such a big change, but a change.

Do you still listen to Prog Rock and Folk, or is it now unloved and confined to dusty boxes in the attic?

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
When I become an oldie I'll let you know :roll:

Developed more than changed I'd say. I've always liked different type of music, in part because my best friend at school (and still good friend 10 years later :oops: ) was a jazz musician. So I followed him round to gigs that the majority of teenagers wouldn't dream of going to. The only things I don't listen to are, ironically, trad jazz, which just grates with me. And I've never really got into opera (but probably could if I run out of other things to listen to).

I'm listening to more and more jazz these days at the expense of rock. And 80's rock is definitely out; the worst production values of any era (artificial everything thrown in for effect. And not musical effect). But I still listen to Radio 3 a lot, and have a lot of classical CDs.

DSOTM and WYWH still rock though and take me back to my youth; 2 in the morning, at John Kenyon's party, the quiet time when everyone is calming down. DSOTM on, and sadly I can even recall the system (Dual t/t, Nad 3020, Allison 6 speakers). I was sat under one of the speakers, half spaced out from booze, just drinking in the atmosphere. It's what music is all about!

Now where did I put those Werther's Orginals?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
philipjohnwright said:
When I become an oldie I'll let you know :roll:

It certainly sneaks up on you.

One day you realize that you look like your Father.....and sound like Victor Meldrew. :doh:

mogsie

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
my music tastes where always changing until i found sigur ros, (never searched for anything else since) but i still keep hold of all my old stuff, and on occasions i dig out a bit of depech mode or a bit of kraftwerk just to have a listen !

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
This topic was inspired after reading a post of Chebby's, where he said that his taste in music had changed so dramatically since his teens, 20s and 30s, that he was happy to sell on most of what he listened to back then.

When I look at my own taste, it has certainly expanded over the years to include, for example, the likes of Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Nat King Cole; but i feel quite a lot of it was forged back in my teens and early 20s, and so a great deal of what I listened to back then, I now enjoy as much as ever.

So my question is to you oldies is this - How, and to what (if any) extent, has your listening habits matured over the years?

Not really me. I started to like Guns N Roses and Metallica when I was about 14, so just getting into music really and that was the first music I heard where I thought wow, I really like this. Late teens I suppose I got into club music a bit but then when back to rock. It is classic rock I have a taste for though I don't like anything too heavy. But now I listen to the same rock bands mainly.

I have found that since I have become Victor Meldrew (according to my wife) my musical tastes have expanded significantly.

Though i still listen to stuff I bought ages ago, all being part of my vinyl collection that never was disposed of, I tend to buy the odd Jazz albums and occasional Classical. The latter mainly being hi-res downloads although I do have a few Classical LPs in the collection.

I must say that more female vocal stuff seems to be invading my collection, possibly to counter the wifes. :grin:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I was a kid I mostly only listened to rave music. Now my tastes are much more varied with lots of classical, 80's pop, classic rock and various easy listening music too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I find that now in my late 50's my musical tastes are so much wider now than they ever were in my teens and 20's.

If someone had suggested to me as a 16 year old Groundhogs besotted fan that in my later years I'd be listening to Al Green, Nick Drake, or Oscar Peterson to name but three, I would have laughed in their face.,

I am far more open to new music now than I ever have been before, although modern pop music, and the various genres of rap leave me totally cold.

Paul.

steve_1979 said:
When I was a kid I mostly only listened to rave music. Now my tastes are much more varied with lots of classical, 80's pop, classic rock and various easy listening music too.

every now and then I put on some old skool rave and it always makes me grin :)

My music taste doesn't really change, I just make additions. When I add something new, I don't have to give up something to make room for it.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Like a lot of people on here my musical tastes have broadened over the years but I still love all my music right back to my first album my Mum bought me On the threshold of a dream Moody Blues the 2nd Album my brothers bought me in the 1970s Budgie Squarke I still listen to most of it I will have a spell when I go through all my cds and just a random just pick out an oldie like Shear heart attack Qeen or Meddle so its :dance: :dance: :rockout: :rockout: all the time round my house in the car even in the bath sorry to much information :rofl:

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]

It certainly sneaks up on you.

One day you realize that you look like your Father.....and sound like Victor Meldrew. :doh:

[/quote]

OMG that's me!!

I'm 54 so approaching being an oldie I suppose. My taste has definitely changed in my teens 20's I listened to what was contemporary then but modern pop does nothing for me at all. I suppose we all identify with the music of our youth, the music we grew up with. From my mid 20's I became more interested in Classical music and probably have a bigger collection of that genre now, whereas playing some of the stuff I used to like sounds rather contrived and dated now, though some classic rock albums stand the test of time( in my opinion anyway ) such as the ubiquitous DOSTM, Animals, WYWH, and some of Mike Oldfield's early albums such as Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge. I have sold off quite a bit of the more embarrasing stuff, I'd hate anyone to have discovered some of the records I had when I finally pop my clogs! :oops:

Supreme

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
At school I was into rock and apart from one or two artists I don’t enjoy the genre at all anymore.

I’ve loved soul and rap music ever since I first heard it in the late 70’s and early 80's and continue to search out new and ever more obscure artists in that genre. Dance music (acid house and techno) came along in the late 80's and I still listen to a lot of that from 88 through to 94.

Now in my mid forties I have, over the last few years, been discovering a lot of stuff I’d never thought about before; reggae, funk, rhythm and blues. I do enjoy going through the ‘what are you listening to’ thread and picking up on new artists there.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Paul. said:
steve_1979 said:

every now and then I put on some old skool rave and it always makes me grin :)

My music taste doesn't really change, I just make additions. When I add something new, I don't have to give up something to make room for it.

Oh I still listen to plenty of old skool rave too. I never grew out of that. :dance:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I still like some stuff that I used to, but my taste has changed dramatically. Actually, I don't like using the term "taste", I prefer to say that I am more open-minded, and better educated about music than I used to be.

I will give anything a listen, I'm not saying I'll like it, but I will give it a go.

Genres I've not really taken to are Folk and Blues, though there must be something within those genres that I do like. Actually, I saw Rachael Dadd at a festival, she was great, and she's classed as Folk.

CnoEvil said:

Bloody hope so. Doesn't say much about modern music otherwise.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My musical tastes have not changed in the slightest, I still just like good music....... :rockout:

I have mentioned alsewhere that I find it hard to listen to the same music, the same recording that is, over and over again. Doesn't mean I don't like it, just that hearing the same thing, played in exactly the same way every time drives me to distraction.

I am forever seeking out new music, new to me that is, which is why I use Spotify a lot. In the last couple of weeks I have been running through the Art Pepper (the fisherman) recordings made at Ronnie Scotts, the country rock recordings in the series Live at Billy Bobs Texas and my live (BBC radio) recording of the XX at Glastonbury.

A few months ago I amused myself by playing ever single version of 'Dark Star' that I could find and spent several hours trying, and failing, to find the definitive live version of Bob Dylans 'Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues'.

Just to prove my total wierdness, Verdi has been getting a bit of action too, Riggoletto and Aida in the main. Tried his opera based on 'the Scottish Play' but found it quite difficult.

Edit. For spelling.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I think I pretty much still like everything "pop" that I liked in the 1950s, 60s and 70s. However from my university days in the late 60s and early 70s I developed an ever increasing interest in "classical" music which has spread from the mainstream stuff into more esoteric areas. Even later in life I have developed a love of opera and leider.

I began to lose interest in "pop" sometime in the mid 70s and really don't understand much that has gone on in that genre since then. It doesn't "speak" to me, I suspect because the world it talks of isn't one that I live in, or at least it's a world that runs parallel to mine with little overlap. I find that I don't like the sound of modern music and that makes it hard for me to listen to. In terms of "what goes around comes around" I remember my parents saying in the 1960s that they couldn't understand the words of "pop" songs, I'm the same now. I see a similar progression in my children, who are now in their early thirties, in that they are losing interest in newer music.

I think also (maybe) that as you experience life you become more open to the emotional impact of music. In business I was always thought of as being pretty hard-nosed but I have a DVD of La Traviata which invariably reduces me to tears (and which has had the same effect on everybody I have bought it for). I think this is because I have experienced similar things to those that happen to the characters in that opera and so they have a reality that perhaps they would not have had when I was young.

Chris

PS This is a link to the Amazon page for the La Traviata I mentioned above:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traviata-Salzburg-Festival-Rizzi-DVD/dp/B000F3TAOE/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1375310637&sr=1-4&keywords=la+traviata+dvd

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't like to leave nothing behind, since my teens i've always had a very eclectic taste in music, the spectum went from classic through heavy metal!

These days listen more to smooth jazz, 80's 90's pop, rock, indie, new wave, soul, raggae and still need my shot of hard rock/heavy metal from time to time!

:cheers:

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I was 10 when I got my first Black Sabbath tape from a cousin. My parents said "Oh God, we hope you grow out of it". Now I am in my early thirties and introuducing my baby girl to the wonderful world of Sabbath. Why change? :rockout:

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I used to like Saxon.

I had all the Magnum CDs !

(Can't stand the "rock by numbers" generic cheesyness of it now)

My tastes have "expanded" rather than changed. Most of what I ever liked (other than cheesy rock), I still like.

As a kid I liked OMD, Madness, The Specials etc. Still do.

Then got into rock with Marillion, Genesis. Still love it.

Then I went through a long time with heavy metal, thrash, death, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Faith no more, Suicidal Tendencies, Morbid Angel, Morgoth, Obituary, Death, Death Angel, Malevolent Creation, Carcass, etc etc

Still like most of it.

Add in a bit of singer/songwriter , David Gray, Tom Mcrae...

Then wandered into loungey dancey, electronica and dance, post-rock, Sounds from the Ground, Bonobo, Sigur Ros, Boards of Canada, Orb, Orbital, Explosions in the sky, Mogwai, Mono, Biosphere

Plus a lot of more housey dancey trancey stuff, Paul Oakenfold, Echaskech, Astral Projection, Infected Mushroom, Christ

I do the occaisional classical and nu-jazz such as Jazzanova and Cinematic Orchestra

And as said, other than the dislike of cheesy 70s rock, I still play it all.

;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
The only genres I can't listen to are hip hop and gangster wrap.

My taste has come kinda full circle... First got into music with the likes of John Denver, James Taylor, Bread, The Eagles and America, then in the 80's was a bit of a Soul boy and now my preference is the acoustic sound... heavily into Angus&Julia Stone, Passenger, Anais Mitchell, Laura Veirs and do love a bit of smooth Jazz. O, plus a touch of Electronic.

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts