Hard disk compatible with MARANTZ MCR610

sivakrdy

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I have connected the seagate backup plus 1TB External Hard Disk to MARANTZ MCR610 and it is unsupported.

So what the External Hard Disk's that are supported? I donot want to go wrong with my next Hard Disk purchase.

I would like to keep the whole music (ripped from CD's) on hard disk, create lists in them and play. So getting a compatible Hard Disk is very necessary.

I'm no expert on this device but, like many others, I don't think the USB input is built to accept hard drives (they may have to be formatted to FAT16 or 32 but even this is no guarantee they will work).

Most of these ports are there to plug in an iPod or similar or a simple USB pen drive. If you have a large hard drive full of music then the idea would appear to be that you stream that via your router to the ethernet port on the 610.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Also, should you manage to get a large hard drive to work, you have the issue that th player will need to 'catalogue' the contents each time the drive is selected. This can take an unacceptably long time, too long to be usable in many cases.

NAS drive is far the best uption, assuming your Marantz is on a network that is.

sivakrdy

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
The problem was that the Seagate backup plus Hard disk by default has NTFS file system. It seems the 610 does not understand that. I formatted the disk to fat file system and then the 610 is happy to accept it.

But i must say marantz has a long distance to go interms of developing quality software for their quality hardware.

A few important things missing-

1. Ability to create dynamic playlists on the fly.

2. Is there a search function to search for a given song in the hard disk? Atleasst the one on the remote app is not doing the job for sure.

3. Album art.

4. Can one seek into song while playing from harddisk? It is supported when playing from CD.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
sivakrdy said:
The problem was that the Seagate backup plus Hard disk by default has NTFS file system. It seems the 610 does not understand that. I formatted the disk to fat file system and then the 610 is happy to accept it.

But i must say marantz has a long distance to go interms of developing quality software for their quality hardware.

A few important things missing-

1. Ability to create dynamic playlists on the fly.

2. Is there a search function to search for a given song in the hard disk? Atleasst the one on the remote app is not doing the job for sure.

3. Album art.

4. Can one seek into song while playing from harddisk? It is supported when playing from CD.

To be honest, my impression was that the product is positioned as a network player. The USB is more of a secondary thing to enable playback from USB memory and Apple devices, but it just happens that it can also work with larger hard drives with the right formatting.

Maybe I'm just an A-hole, but I see so many threads with people whining that these products which have so much flexibility in their use can't be used in exactly the way one one person wants/isn't specced to the desires of one person or a very small market segment.

Marantz, like many other companies, is probably only just getting into creating apps for the control of their devides, and they are still probably more of an afterthought so perhaps they have less time, effort, and expertise appropriated to them than is necessary for software that is up to the levels of the hardware. I'd get annoyed with expensive Linn and Naim stuff, but I don't know how high my epectations would be for a budget all in one like the 610.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:
I'll say it again, I'll say 9 times out of 10 it's not a NTFS/FAT32 problem with USB ports in audio systems, most of them will not be able to power a drive > 500Gb.

And it often states this in the manual. I haven't gone over the manual in detail in this case, but it does discuss using HDD that have their own power adapter. I believe the OP was successful with reformatting in this case, but he isn't satisfied with the interface and the way the software and hardware work with such a large drive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts