Another newbie looking for advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm trying to spec our house at the moment while the builders are in, trying to achieve a lot on a budget but don't understand all this NAS/WiFi stuff, I wonder if anyone can help?

I'd like to go wireless but might not need to. The main rooms are open plan with the AV 'hub' in the middle.

I've got a Panasonic HD projector which will be linked to PS3, (yet to purchase) NAS and Pioneer DVD player/amp (one Optical In). I've got another amp I was going to use for music, connecting 2 sets of speakers in the 'snug' and kitchen and having this amp wired to the NAS.

I also need another set of speakers on the terrace.

Benefits I'm looking at from a NAS are to get all my music and photos on a hard drive, cut power consumption (compared to PC) and use it as a back up (usual caveats about back up apply!)
I'm also keen on the idea of accessing the files over the internet on iPhone or PC.I might not have broadband straight away (and if I do it'll be 2 Meg via 3G dongle or WiMax- house is in very rural France). Could I still use my present Netgear ADSL Wireless Router (DG834PN) to set up a wireless network between NAS, PC and Laptop before I'm connected to broadband?
I like the sound of a 2 disk NAS (2x 1TB or 2 would be plenty for my needs) mirrored in RAID? I keep seeing higher and higher spec and getting tempted by £600 models that don't include hard drives but for my needs surely I don't need to spend more than £200? Is it worth self building?

I might also want the NAS to stream video and once I'm connected to broadband possibly get into BitTorrent, internet radio and Spotify. I prefered Pandora, is that something I might be able to access again if I was able to change my mac address or IP address? (probably beyond my skills anyway... but if I did would that also let me access iPlayer abroad?)

To play music from NAS would I need a screen ie Projector switched on? or can I use iPhone/other smart phone to control music going from NAS straight to amp? or have I got it completely wrong and I need a device running iTunes streaming from the NAS to the amp?

I suppose An alternative to the 2 sets of speakers in the 'snug' and kitchen (with a long run of speaker wire) might be 2x Airport Express connected to JBL creature speakers?

Are there any good outdoor speakers that are designed to be outside 365 days a year or should I plan on taking speakers outside and in each time I need them.

I had thought about a Sonos system but because each room is so adjacent I'm not sure it's going to be worth it (unless I used it outdoors.)

I probably need a switch to connect several optical outs to the 1 optical in on my AV amp/player.

Not sure about budget, trying to do it all with the stuff I've got now and every penny we save we can put into finishing the rest of the house but budget's probably between £200 and £1000. And I'd like to be flexible enough to replace the amps as and when funds allow.

Many thanks to any of you who take the trouble to put me on the right track.

A

Anonymous

As you can tell, I'm quite confused about the whole set up and what I can achieve.

If I get a NAS will I need something to stream the audio and video files to the amp and projector?

Will PS3 do?

I had hoped to be able to access music on the NAS without turning on the projector, in the set up described would I be better just putting the music on my PC, linking that to my amp/projector and forgetting about the NAS?

A

Anonymous

beginning to come round to the idea of a sonos system. ZP90 attached to the NAS (via Ethernet?)and amp alongside all the other kit, I should be able to run wires from amp to snug for speakers (I can switch either set of speakers off and on from the amp) and an S5 I can use in the kitchen or move about the house/outside.

I'm looking at £280 for a ZP90 or £260 for a squeezebox touch so I think I'd rather go with the sonos and add more when I need to or when I can afford it.

Also looking at Sony BDPS470B blu-ray player (£155) which should also stream video from NAS or PC for projector.

Not sure which NAS or whether I need one but any thoughts on Vortexbox, poss. self build, HP media smart EX490 or maybe a ReadyNAS of some sort.

I'll probably come up with a totally new plan tomorrow but I'm drawn to these products for ease of use, for wife as well as guests.

I think I'd need a way of connecting PS3 and blu ray to amp via the 1 optical in and I'm not sure if all these products will work via my ADSL router which won't initially be connected to broadband.

A

Anonymous

Thinking about a 2 bay NAS, options being the Synology DS210J for £150 without hard drive, ReadyNas RND2110 for £160 with 1TB hard drive or the LG N2R1 for £200 with DVD RW and 2x 1TB

I'm quite happy with these price points and like the idea of being able to upgrade in the future. Main use will be streaming audio and backing up 2 PCs, with the option of access via internet in the future.

Would anyone recommend one brand over the other?

Boy, it's lonely on this thread.

Gozaradio

Jul 16, 2008
Visit site
As JD said, a lot going on here regarding requirements and future flexibility.

If you're still at a first fix stage, can you run CAT5 cable to all the relevant points? This will allow much flexibility in the future as well as reducing the need to rely on wifi and all the potential problems. Run all the network cable in a 'star' configuration (ie, all cables lead to one point, known as 'node 0' if you ready any networking guides). I know someone who asked their electrician to put in aerial/sat cable as well as network cabling, and they ran it in series, which was effectively just one long run of cable cut at various points!

With regard to a NAS, I have no experience other than that I have owned a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo for almost 18 months and it serves me very well. I use it for general files, music and video streaming (including HD).

If you're after a cheaper option than Sonos for music, you could look at Squeezebox as the Netgear Readynas can run Squeezecentre (or whatever it's called right now). There are other options around but these are two of the most popular which don't require a computer to be on or a TV screen to be on.

You mention plugging the NAS into your projector; does it have an ethernet port? If not, you'll need something to display the photos on the projector. Your Macbooks would do the job.

A

Anonymous

Hi Goza, thanks for the reply. Not sure I need to wire with Cat5, I don't see the need. I'm sure everyone says that but I really don't see us having AV stuff in the bedrooms and as I said the other rooms are all open plan with the AV 'hub' in the centre. I do appreciate the suggestion though and I have considered it carefully.

I've gone for a QNAP NAS (TS210) with 2 samsung eco drives. I'd have gone for the readyNAS if I'd have got in on their free hard disk offer last month.

Did look at the squeezebox but I'm not sure it's much cheaper. The Touch is about £20 less than the ZP90 although the remote is going to be pricey if I opt for that.

PJ is a panasonic PT-AE3000 so no ethernet port but I'll use PS3 to start with and I wondered about the Sony BDPS 470B Blu ray player. It streams video too so I think that (or similar) might be a go-er in the long run.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
As it is quite complicated as I think you've suggested to go down more of the "PC" route - have you considered a stand alone networked media server from the hi-fi market? There are many available now with massive amounts of storage that you can connect to your network and have remote/internet access. The only disadvantages with some being that you can't as easily upgrade the storage capacity.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts