Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
As we said in our review, the Gothams show a significant improvement over freebie cables - if buyers are using it as an upgrade from free cables, i'm sure they are genuinely delighted with the performance.

However, how many of them also have experience with a wide range of cables at the next price point up, like we do? In our testing, the Gothams simply don't stand up to scrutiny with some excellent rivals that cost just £17 more (or the same money if you buy secondhand). And if you've a higher-end system, the addition of an even-better cable could provide yet more improvements.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I used these in my system for about 2 months, replacing Chord Cobra 2. Initially I thought they sounded great, but one day I felt there that the sound was lifeless and lacking detail and put the Chords back in place and the sound improved dramatically. I kept swapping back and fore until my ears were numb and found that I preferred the sound of the Chords, but wanted to believe the Gotham hype. So I did the ultimate acid test, I asked my wife to listen without telling her why other than to tell me which sounded best A or B. She chose the Chords evry time without hesitation and not knowing what was plugged in, I asked why? "They sound better!" was the answer, no room for placebo effect etc, just an honest opinion from someone not interested in HiFi (She refers to me and my mate as anoraks!) but who loves music. However if I had funds would love to be able to try more expensive cables than Chord Cobras just to see the difference.

A

Anonymous

So for £30.00 are you getting twice the sound quality?, I doubt that!. I have a QED Qunex 2 spare and was wondering if I could get a quality connection to fit in the Ipod?,

As I said earlier I think this cable will do the job for me tremendously, If People cannot decide whether a Chord Cobra is better or not then surely it must have some excellent qualities?, Did you burn the Test cable in , as that seems to alter it somewhat ?

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:

As we said in our review, the Gothams show a significant improvement over freebie cables - if buyers are using it as an upgrade from free cables, i'm sure they are genuinely delighted with the performance.

However, how many of them also have experience with a wide range of cables at the next price point up, like we do? In our testing, the Gothams simply don't stand up to scrutiny with some excellent rivals that cost just £17 more (or the same money if you buy secondhand). And if you've a higher-end system, the addition of an even-better cable could provide yet more improvements.

I remember years ago what hifi raved about a hifi interconnect that cost a mere 4.99, I still have them and they are very good for a fiver, I was hoping these would offer the same amazing qualities, I do think that people can imagine things , in that they want things to sound good because everyone else thinks they are good. But I hope that What Hi FI are wrong and these are better than im anticipating now.

PS you probably dont remember any hifi costing £4.99 ( due to being 21 ) hehe

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
yes, we ran the Gothams in.

And yes, we believe you can buy much better for that little extra.

By your own admission, you haven't seen or heard the cables concerned, so i'm a little confused why you're so keen to defend them?

EDIT I wrote the above before seeing your last reply. I agree it would have been superb to find an ultra-budget bargain - and maybe there's still one out there we'll review soon - but in our opinion the Gothams aren't it.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
My own feeling is that the Gothams are not bad, just not as good as Chord Cobras having "burned in" both sets (The Chords are 8-10 years old) Gothams had 2 months heavy use. One cable feels right the other falls short after extended listening. I wanted the Gotham to live up to the hype having spent about £30 quid on 3 pairs, my own opinion is that what I had originally was much better and was worth whatever they cost compared to the Gothams.

A

Anonymous

gwynne61:My own feeling is that the Gothams are not bad, just not as good as Chord Cobras having "burned in" both sets (The Chords are 8-10 years old) Gothams had 2 months heavy use. One cable feels right the other falls short after extended listening. I wanted the Gotham to live up to the hype having spent about £30 quid on 3 pairs, my own opinion is that what I had originally was much better and was worth whatever they cost compared to the Gothams.

Have you by any chance used the one with the Ipod Connection ( mini Jack plug ) on one end.

I guess most folks are referring to the standard phono - phono types.

I thought about buying the Arcam R Dock and the Cambridge one from the famous English hi street store.

But at £130 ( plus connects ) and £20 plus one of these type interconnects I thought this was a good compromise

John Duncan

Aaaaanyway. I'll tell you where I am (as my namesake Mr Bannatyne would say).....

To me, they're good value, since they are not perceptibly worse than the more expensive cables I have lying around the house, from respected manufacturers. (Note that I have never recommended them over £100+ cables, but that's by-the-by). There can be several explanations for this:

a) the Gothams are as good as those other cables;
b) the other cables are as bad as the Gothams;
c) my system is not capable of demonstrating the differences;
d) I am not capable of hearing differences

All of these are possible, but since a respected magazine is telling me that it's probably d), I'm going to look into whether trying 'better' cables (ie much better than the respected-manufacturer ones I have already).

In the meantime, I'm going to stop recommending them, so's not to be sued at a later date by a disgruntled buyer who didn't read the review........

Can we move on now?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
No Mr D, we certainly cannot! Stop reccommending them? Because some badle researched oik may have the screaming abdabs when they find out theyre not rated by whf? When they represent great value either way and therefore still have their place?

And, lets say you try more expensive interconnects and cant tell the difference then either. What then?

I say all the above with the utmost respect, and mean no offence. i seem to be in one of those moods...

John Duncan

al7478:No Mr D, we certainly cannot! Stop reccommending them? Because some badle researched oik may have the screaming abdabs when they find out theyre not rated by whf? When they represent great value either way and therefore still have their place?

And, lets say you try more expensive interconnects and cant tell the difference then either. What then?

I say all the above with the utmost respect, and mean no offence. i seem to be in one of those moods...

None taken. If I try the much more expensive interconnects and still get sibilance on Jim Moray's Leaving Australia, I shall go back to my Gothams and continue to recommend them (to deaf people, clearly).......

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:
None taken. If I try the much more expensive interconnects and still get sibilance on Jim Moray's Leaving Australia, I shall go back to my Gothams and continue to recommend them (to deaf people, clearly).......

...pardon?

A

Anonymous

I as yet haven't tried them so I cannot say either way and whether they make any difference attached to the Ipod ( as I bought mine for is anyones guess ) for me the most part when I purchased them earleir today was the fantastic comments left by buyers on the ebay page, I though darn these must be something else, I gotta get me a pair!, and looking thru the feedback only made me click the buy it now quicker. Obviously for £15.00 I dont expect the earth but to me its better using one cable than using one of my other quality cables with an adapter, which due to my adaptor only costing 1.50 may defeat the object. Unless I can find a quality mini jack to phono adapter to compare these to my more expensive leads. To conclude ill just ait and see, these must have some merits and as the Editor of the magazine says these are better than the ones you get with players, I bought a top of the range IXOs HDMI cable which cost £150 and I couldnt tell the difference with one O got free with my HD Box, so that must tell me something.

A

Anonymous

Wayne C:
To conclude ill just ait and see, these must have some merits and as the Editor of the magazine says these are better than the ones you get with players, I bought a top of the range IXOs HDMI cable which cost £150 and I couldnt tell the difference with one O got free with my HD Box, so that must tell me something.

Completely different story, not one to start here. (The difference being your HDMI cable is digital, the Gotham is electrical).ÿ

A

Anonymous

Yeh that's what I meantÿ

Anyway not tuned into this thread for a while, I take it the rebellion is continuing?

John Duncan

No mine's the A20 which is RCA only - so not until I get the A30.1, no.....
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Could never find that £15 Chord Crimson Clare found on ebay so decided to go overkill with a Atlas Equator.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts