Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

A

Anonymous

Loving the slippers/mountaineering comment, very witty lol

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Never listened to one. I have heard an NVA Sound Cord at £10 though. I'd love to see a WHF review of this. Said to be the equal of a £600 Nordost in some forums. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm not connected to NVA. I just think that it would be good for hifi mags to review stuff like this rather than the usual VDH and Chord Co. stuff. It's good that WHF reviewed the Gotham..

A

Anonymous

Personally I found that review a little harsh, a bit of a shrug off.

The bit I found hardest to swallow was the comparison to free cables. They are clearly well ahead in terms of detail and soundstaging.

True they are no match for my £100 interconnects but my system requires them. I will not hesitate to continue to recommend these cables to a beginner on a budget.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Nice review but I can't whole heartly agree with the reviewers. I don't say that in the dis-respectful way though. I would never attemt to write cables review myself, it's properbly the heardest thing to do!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:

The bit I found hardest to swallow was the comparison to free cables. They are clearly well ahead in terms of detail and soundstaging.

Which is why we mention in the review that the Gothams are "a significant improvement" over free cables.

And who mentioned £100 interconnects? We put them in the listening mix with @£35 cables - less than £20 more buys you a far better sonic experience.

A

Anonymous

Fair enough but the overall feeling of the review is completely negative. People who can't afford much more will be put off by it, even though the Gotham may be more than adequate for their system.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Fair enough but the overall feeling of the review is completely negative. People who can't afford much more will be put off by it, even though the Gotham may be more than adequate for their system.

They are being honest! People on this forum went way over the top over these cables - I've heard many claiming that they were as good as £100 cables. I bought mine (which I use to connect my receiver to my amp) and tested them against Chord Cobra and Crimson. My system was a budget one and I didn't notice a big difference between the three cables. Therefore with such a modest system they are decent value. However, I then won some amazing Chord cables on Ebay - Anthem and then Anthem II. These quite clearly blew them away and then when I upgraded my amp and cd player, it was even more apparent. My Chameleon Silver Plus is not far short of the Anthem II so I wouldn't dream of going back to the Gotham as my main cable from cdp to amp.

The guy who makes these cables is either very pleased with the forum members over the past year as he would have made a lot of business from the members, or he indeed is one of us!!!

Well done to the gang for answering the call of a review and especially for not just going along with public opinion. That's why we buy the mag - what do we know!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Don Guess:Never listened to one. I have heard an NVA Sound Cord at £10 though. I'd love to see a WHF review of this. Said to be the equal of a £600 Nordost in some forums. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

I'm not connected to NVA. I just think that it would be good for hifi mags to review stuff like this rather than the usual VDH and Chord Co. stuff. It's good that WHF reviewed the Gotham..

Don. I've not heard either but without starting a cable argument, I would bet my bottom dollar that I would notice a considerable difference between the two.

A

Anonymous

I'm saying that 2* at £12 is harsh for what it delivers. I'd like to see what else at this price can do.

A

Anonymous

This topic is going to get a lot of attention. I don't really want to be involved in it.

I'm not claiming these cables are mind blowing, or anything of the sort. £12, on a budget, show me the competition. ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
For starters, it's not £12 - you have to add delivery onto that.

Secondly, we will be testing more ultra-cheap cables (such as the one mentioned earlier in this thread), and hopefully we'll find a true budget marvel. But until then, we can't recommend the Gotham by default.

With great cables costing from £35, surely it's within the means of someone to forgo a round of drinks or a takeaway meal for the sake of gaining a much better audio experience?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:I'm not claiming these cables are mind blowing, or anything of the sort. £12, on a budget, show me the competition.
There ya go!
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi prof. Thanks for pointing out my spelling mistake yesterday...

A

Anonymous

And to answer your question, I don't like QED. Alternative?

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Don Guess:Never listened to one. I have heard an NVA Sound Cord at £10 though. I'd love to see a WHF review of this. Said to be the equal of a £600 Nordost in some forums. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

Don. I've not heard either but without starting a cable argument, I would bet my bottom dollar that I would notice a considerable difference between the two.

You may well be able to! I've never heard a £600 Nordost.

Edited for house rules violations - Mods

I've got an NVA. It replaced a VDH "The Name" at £50. It sounds equal or better to me in my system. Either way the difference is really small. That's why I suggested it should be a WHF review item.

By the way, I've got a better system than my sig suggests - Audio Synthesis Dax Decade, Puresound A30 and Living Voice OBX-R2..

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
For starters, it's not £12 - you have to add delivery onto that.

ÿ

True.ÿ

Clare Newsome:ÿ

Secondly, we will be testing more ultra-cheap cables (such as the one mentioned earlier in this thread), and hopefully we'll find a true budget marvel. But until then, we can't recommend the Gotham by default.

ÿ

OK. I think this is important as it's a sensitive issue at the moment. I'm sure many will look forward to your conclusions!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
professorhat:Octopo:I'm not claiming these cables are mind blowing, or anything of the sort. £12, on a budget, show me the competition.
There ya go!
emotion-1.gif

As a certain Mr Cricket once said, "there's more"!

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/1205/fisual-superpearl-reference-stereo-pair-1m/display.html

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/1606/ixos-xha215-phono-cable-/display.html

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/dynamic/eshop_products.set/ref/212/profigold-pga4012-2rca-to-rca-socket/display.html

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Don Guess:Gerrardasnails:Don Guess:Never listened to one. I have heard an NVA Sound Cord at £10 though. I'd love to see a WHF review of this. Said to be the equal of a £600 Nordost in some forums. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

I've got an NVA. It replaced a VDH "The Name" at £50. It sounds equal or better to me in my system. Either way the difference is really small. That's why I suggested it should be a WHF review item.

By the way, I've got a better system than my sig suggests - Audio Synthesis Dax Decade, Puresound A30 and Living Voice OBX-R2..

The Name by VDH was my first interconnect interesting enough. I would even be surprised if a £10 cable could beat that but I don't disbelieve you. I was just saying that the forum posters who rate it higher than a £600 cable must be clueless.

A

Anonymous

You missed my point Gerrard.

I'm not arguing for myself.

I'm arguing for the greater majority who aren't like ourselves into hifi as much. People who come to the WHF site and quickly look for the best stuff at the best price.

Look, I like a bit of debate but I'm getting backed into a corner here for a perfectly respectful opinion.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
You missed my point Gerrard.

I'm not arguing for myself.

I'm arguing for the greater majority who aren't like ourselves into hifi as much. People who come to the WHF site and quickly look for the best stuff at the best price.

Look, I like a bit of debate but I'm getting backed into a corner here for a perfectly respectful opinion.

I didn't miss your point. I understand what you meant. I bought the Gothams on the back of members on here. I only planned on using it as I've mentioned before and tested them just out of interest. My point is that the cables I listed above can be bought for a similar price and even cheaper and are delivered free. They won't have gold pen marks on them and they come packaged. They might offer better value for money also.

A

Anonymous

Gerrard you missed my point.

Until WHF review whatever cables you mention then Gotham has a case.

Don Guess

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Don Guess:Gerrardasnails:Don Guess:Never listened to one. I have heard an NVA Sound Cord at £10 though. I'd love to see a WHF review of this. Said to be the equal of a £600 Nordost in some forums. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

The Name by VDH was my first interconnect interesting enough. I would even be surprised if a £10 cable could beat that but I don't disbelieve you. I was just saying that the forum posters who rate it higher than a £600 cable must be clueless.

That depends on whether you think that if something costs more it must be better.. I remember several famous threads on a few websites about a £20K CD player from Switzerland that turned out to be a rebadged Pioneer DVD player... costing a few hundred.

Right that's it - have a good night I'm off to the pub..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts