Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

I would be surprised if you didn't notice a marked difference/improvement John.

I've said from the off that the Gotham is comparable to me with Crimson and Cobra 3 - I didn't notice a clear difference. However, there is a stark difference, even with our level of equipment, when using very good interconnects.

By the way, my Chameleon Silver Plus is a £100ish cable and the Gotham is not in the same league. I don't know what £100 cables Pudley tested his Gotham with...

Especially as it's an "undetectable" upgrade.

And if this is the case, then fantastic. £82 for a 'marked' difference (for the better, one hopes) will do for me.......

A

Anonymous

I really do hope you're on commission mate
emotion-1.gif
as I really can't figure out how 5000+ views have racked up in a week
emotion-7.gif

I finish working after a long day, pick up a laptop to have a gentle surf in the living room whilst I relax, refresh this page to see what interesting things have been discussed during the day back there, and this damn thing keeps floating to the top....!!!!

Must be me, otherwise, I'm going to have to start questioning humanity....even more.

John Duncan

al7478:JohnDuncan:I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

OK, but whf seem to be saying that there are better cables at a similar price. your ears (and your ears alone really arent that inferior to the aggregared opinion published in the mag) have told you otherwise. So, confused as to why you'd go so far as cables that even whf may say are innapropriate for your gear (apologies, i little guesswork is at play here).

However, would like to hear your conclusions.

I suppose what I've tried to do is to give me as big a leap as possible so that if there is a difference, it's blimmin' obvious, and a fifty/sixty quid cable hasn't done that, so may as well go the while hog. I nearly dropped 150 on an Anthem to be sure.........

A

Anonymous

SC:

I really do hope you're on commission mate
emotion-1.gif
as I really can't figure out how 5000+ views have racked up in a week
emotion-7.gif

I finish working after a long day, pick up a laptop to have a gentle surf in the living room whilst I relax, refresh this page to see what interesting things have been discussed during the day back there, and this damn thing keeps floating to the top....!!!!

Must be me, otherwise, I'm going to have to start questioning humanity....even more.

I dont understand why you are getting so upset. The way I look at it is that the forum is a place for others to share views and experiences, ask questions and offer advice. For someone who feels this topic has had its day, you spend a lot of time replying to it. Im not having a dig just making an observation.

A

Anonymous

"Upset" ? No, just
emotion-20.gif
. Infact, I'm incredibly chilled, it's 10pm, have a glass of red in my hand, feet up, and about to watch Stone's WTC on TV.

"Spend a lot of time replying" - Again, no. You must be a slow typist.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:It's not craziness at all if someone who has only ever had the Gotham cables buys a new set and thinks they're better as a result of this review. Why on earth are you getting so worked up about what other people do and think? If you're happy then that's fantastic for you. If other people try other cables and think they're better, then that's great for them too, wouldn't you agree?

It is highly unlikely many people exist that have ONLY tried Gotham seeing as they are bought from ebay.

So most people will have had the chance to compare to at least one other cable.

I am not getting worked up as you put it, I am suggesting that people are potentially going out, buying more expensive cables and quite possibly changing their own opinion. It is all too easy to suddenly find fault with something that others tell you is bad, when in fact it isn't.

The power that WHFS&V has is not to be underestimated. Some people will now listen to the same cable that they thought was great, and change their mind. This kind of herd mentallity exists in all walks of life, including music, fashion etc. Hifi is no different.

A

Anonymous

pudley:

professorhat:It's not craziness at all if someone who has only ever had the Gotham cables buys a new set and thinks they're better as a result of this review. Why on earth are you getting so worked up about what other people do and think? If you're happy then that's fantastic for you. If other people try other cables and think they're better, then that's great for them too, wouldn't you agree?

It is highly unlikely many people exist that have ONLY tried Gotham seeing as they are bought from ebay.

So most people will have had the chance to compare to at least one other cable.

I am not getting worked up as you put it, I am suggesting that people are potentially going out, buying more expensive cables and quite possibly changing their own opinion. It is all too easy to suddenly find fault with something that others tell you is bad, when in fact it isn't.

The power that WHFS&V has is not to be underestimated. Some people will now listen to the same cable that they thought was great, and change their mind. This kind of herd mentallity exists in all walks of life, including music, fashion etc. Hifi is no different.

I suppose I am unusual then by the fact is that I HAVE only ever used Gotham cables. Like I said in my previous post I do not have a chance to get equipment on demo so I have to take the plunge and hope for the best. The review was useful to me in that it highlited the possible weak link in my system. It was my decision based on the review to take a gamble and buy a much better quality cable.

A

Anonymous

Good Morning,

I posted on this subject two days ago andf have since received the afore mentioned cable, mine being the Ipod variety, ie two phonos to 1 min jack.

I must agree with those who say that spending just £17 more gets you an infinate inprovement sonically as this particular cable is no where near as good in any shape or form to any of the budget cables I currently own , the sound is harsh annoying and to my ears cannot be tolerated a second longer, as the Editor rightly says these aint up to much cop and id even go so far as to say the free ones you get in some instances are better. I know people are going to say run them in and secondly your only using them on an Ipod but I rigged a QED up with a 99p Adaptor and they sounded far far better.

I wont be buying anymore and will save up for another QED or Cobra, those who say these match a Cobra must have cloth ears

A

Anonymous

I wasnt being specific to you John with due respect, but these for Ipod Use are very poor indeed, As I say I know that the Ipod Sonically can be shall we say not all that Hi Fi at times but I really have had better results with a QED Qunex 2 which I bought for a tenner off of ebay and a 99p adaptor.

I was expecting miracle things as the reviews say but I guess I over estimated on these.

I have An 8000s which I used for this test with the Ipod and this cable then I rigged it up to my QED , an Old Ixos 103 which ive had for years and Paid a tenner for on the high street, a pair of £7.00 Monster inserconnects and a Cobra.

All my cheapo cables attached via a 99p adaptor blew them away.

the sound was muddled, bass terrible, treble harsh If people are happy with them then all credit to them but for me no way

A

Anonymous

Yes this thread is never-ending....

And to think it was my suggestion for WHF to test the Gotham's in the first place!

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/109377.aspx

jules.

John Duncan

No, is OK to be me-specific, as I'm the one who has always used the Cobra/Gotham comparison - I myself am not getting these results (comparatively), but you'll see my previous posts about having doubts myself and looking at doing tests with different cables and reassessing.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jules153:Yes this thread is never-ending....

And to think it was my suggestion for WHF to test the Gotham's in the first place!

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/109377.aspx

jules.

Phew, I just read my input in that thread (see below) and I'm glad I didn't sound like I loved them and then they get a bad review and now hate them brigade!!

"They are decent cables and worthy of around £40 alternatives. They won't touch the Chameleon Silver Plus - I've recently downgraded from Anthem 2 to the Chameleon and I'm happy (the £130 profit was nice too!). Gothams are similar to Cobra in my opinion - so great value for money but don't expect too much - their boast, also mentioned on this post - that they are a match for £100 cables is not accurate.

Back to why the mag does not review them. They are not packaged. They look fairly amateurish (gold markings in pen to show the supposed direction of connection). They don't have a bricks and mortar establishment - it would take time and therefore money to investigate them. No one knows if they are paying taxes for instance. It's much safer for the mag to review products from "proper" manufacturers. It doesn't stop punters like us buying off ebay.".

A

Anonymous

jules153:Yes this thread is never-ending.... And to think it was my suggestion for WHF to test the Gotham's in the first place! http://whathifi.com/forums/t/109377.aspx jules.

Good man. Light touchpaper and stand well clear.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:No, is OK to be me-specific, as I'm the one who has always used the Cobra/Gotham comparison - I myself am not getting these results (comparatively), but you'll see my previous posts about having doubts myself and looking at doing tests with different cables and reassessing.

JD, you are not the only one who has compared Gotham and Cobra...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Yeah but I bang on about it most
emotion-2.gif

I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't notice a clear difference between the Crimson, Cobra 3 and Gotham. This does not mean that with a better system or more stringent testing, we wouldn't. One thing I've batted on about is that Gotham, unlike the ebay ad and some people's view on here, can be as good as £100 cables.

Have you got your Chorus cables yet?

A

Anonymous

raym87:

jules153:Yes this thread is never-ending.... And to think it was my suggestion for WHF to test the Gotham's in the first place! http://whathifi.com/forums/t/109377.aspx jules.

Good man. Light touchpaper and stand well clear.

Is that for a 5 metre or 1 metre cable?, I think the former will give us ample opportunity to seek cover!

A

Anonymous

jules153:

Lion hunting season open yet ?

images

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:Yeah but I bang on about it most
emotion-2.gif

I'm not ashamed to admit that I couldn't notice a clear difference between the Crimson, Cobra 3 and Gotham. This does not mean that with a better system or more stringent testing, we wouldn't. One thing I've batted on about is that Gotham, unlike the ebay ad and some people's view on here, can be as good as £100 cables.

Have you got your Chorus cables yet?

No, presume tomorrow or Monday.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:My new Chord Crimson cables are just installed (between Rega P2/Fono Mini and Solo Mini) but I am listening to my other delivery* first with a nice cup of tea and some plain choc Hobnobs.

*MFSL Gold CD of Roy Orbison's Greatest hits.

Come on Chebby, you have had a whole first half now - what's your verdict??

A

Anonymous

Wayne C:
I wasnt being specific to you John with due respect, but these for Ipod Use are very poor indeed, As I say I know that the Ipod Sonically can be shall we say not all that Hi Fi at times but I really have had better results with a QED Qunex 2 which I bought for a tenner off of ebay and a 99p adaptor.

I was expecting miracle things as the reviews say but I guess I over estimated on these.

I have An 8000s which I used for this test with the Ipod and this cable then I rigged itÿ up to my QED , an Old Ixos 103ÿwhich ive had for years and Paid a tenner for on the high street, a pair of £7.00 Monster inserconnects and a Cobra.

All my cheapo cables attachedÿvia aÿ99p adaptor blew them away.

the sound was muddled, bass terrible, treble harsh If people are happy with them then all credit to them but for me no wayÿ

ÿ

ÿ

Oh the power of magazine reviews. Strange how few of these type of reviews were around beforehand.

ÿ

ÿ

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pudley:Oh the power of magazine reviews. Strange how few of these type of reviews were around beforehand.

Not quite sure what point(s) you're trying to make here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts