Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Octopo:Clare Newsome:Octopo:
an unfair review by WHF.

Unfair how?

Not too sure, maybe you could enlighten me?

In the sincerest manner possible: I don't see how so many people of various experience have been finding the GAC1 good enough to recommend to others. I think the comments on the Gotham ebay page a bit ludicrous but many just thought them a good cable at a good price.ÿThen WHF come along and destroy a mans reputation.

I have been building my own cables of various sorts for a long time. Finding the correct components and having the skill to do this is beyond the majority of the hifi community. These cables offered this service for a comparatively tiny mark up compared to some of the overpriced offerings out there.

I will argue for the G's till the cows come home. 2 stars is too harsh.ÿ

Reviews, by their very nature, are subjective. It's nonsensical to argue that something subjective is wrong or unfair.

A

Anonymous

It is not nonsensical to argue against a review. WHF will use a number of people, a number of different systems, maybe different environments, all by a set of cable testing guidelines. They will then combine this data to give a star rating.

Even so, I believe their judging to be unfair. This is not nonsensical. See Lewis Hamilton.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Apart from mentioning about 50 times it is the rating I believe to be unfair?

A

Anonymous

Nah, no one would have been bothered then because it's the correct rating.

A

Anonymous

You deserve a bumper three pack of Gothams gratis of Mr Gotham methinks...

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:WHF will use a number of people, a number of different systems, maybe different environments, all by a set of cable testing guidelines. They will then combine this data to give a star rating.Even so, I believe their judging to be unfair.
This suggests you find their method of judging unfair. Did you mean this or are you just meaning you don't agree that 2 stars is fair? If so, then tractorboy's comments hold water - effectively you are just whining that something is unfair because you don't agree with it...
And yet despite all this, you still haven't added any comment in the "Your Opinion" section where it might actually be of use to someone who was thinking of buying the Gothams!

A

Anonymous

I trust the testing methods. This is why I don't understand how they can come to such a result.

To give something a rating out of one to five is fine. A WHF 2 star however is seldom seen. To have such massively contrasting opinions between reviewers and some of us on issues such as soundstaging I find bemusing and unbelievable. Someone, somewhere (maybe me?) has got their wires crossed.

Edit: If I were to start a new thread in 'your opinions' it would die. This thread has had over 7000 views.

Messiah

Out of interest, how many people have GAC1's and agree with the 2 star rating?? (Not trying to start a war here but out of interest!)

I for starters have some and would certainly rate them at more than 2 stars for that price!

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Messiah:Out of interest, how many people have GAC1's and agree with the 2 star rating?? (Not trying to start a war here but out of interest!)

I for starters have some and would certainly rate them at more than 2 stars for that price!

Good post, I paid £10 each for my 3 x 0.5 metre runs of GAC1, sound quality and rating for the price would be 4 star, Chord Cobras as I use in my system, 5 star at their sound quality and price, I was lucky enough to get ood discounts on them at times of purchase so from memory the 3 x1 metre runs cost about £110 in total. It took some listening for the superior quality of the Chord's to shine through as the devil was in the detail.

Without wishing to start a speaker cable debate, I used QED Silver Anniversary Bi wire for many years and always felt they were bright and somewhat harsh, I swapped a few months ago to VAn Damme 4mm tour grade black and the improvement was astonishing in bass depth and response, definition and timing. A bargain that worked well for me.

John Duncan

I am admittedly a bit thrown by the argument that if you spend twice the money, you can get a better cable - firstly, I'm not convinced how true that is (as I've said ad yawneam), but secondly, that argument wouldn't work with a CD player - "yeah this 200 quid player is OK but this 400 quid one is much better".

Aaaaaanyway - it's only a cable, and I think I'm done here
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Messiah:Out of interest, how many people have GAC1's and agree with the 2 star rating?? (Not trying to start a war here but out of interest!)I for starters have some and would certainly rate them at more than 2 stars for that price!

I have some. DOn't use them any more, but 2 stars is in fact harsh in my opinion. As the eight legged one says its someones reputation on the line. 2 stars is pretty damning. I thought they were at least as good as my other cables.

WHFS&V have quite possibly the greatest influence on sales in the land, certainly in Great Britain.

ÿI just wonder if some nasty prankster had the speakers out of phase during the gotham test.ÿ

Or maybe we need Michael Moore! (How on earth did that large object suddenly appear in the middle of the Pentagon?) Answers, on a postcard to...bleeeaaarrrrrrgh.....

ÿ

ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:
I trust the testing methods. This is why I don't understand how they can come to such a result.

To give something a rating out of one to five is fine. A WHF 2 star however is seldom seen. To have such massively contrasting opinions between reviewers and some of us on issues such as soundstaging I find bemusing and unbelievable. Someone, somewhere (maybe me?) has got their wires crossed.

Edit: If I were to start a new thread in 'your opinions' it would die. This thread has had over 7000 views.

There are plenty of two (and even some one) star reviews in our Buyer's Guide. And as we state in every single issue of the magazine, a two-star rating means 'below par'. Even you admit the Gothams have harsh treble: with so many cables that can at least muster an average performance (three stars), i'm at a loss why the GAC-1s deserve a higher rating.

We tested the cables in all good faith, having been continually urged to review them by the users of this Forum - whose feedback we take very seriously (see also the case of the Beresford DAC - another bargain, small-company product we were encouraged to test, except this one we loved). It's even featured in the shortlist for our Readers Award (along with the Beresford) - again, launching this award shows how much we respect your opinions.

I'll repeat again, it's fine to disagree with our review!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
pudley:
Messiah:Out of interest, how many people have GAC1's and agree with the 2 star rating?? (Not trying to start a war here but out of interest!)I for starters have some and would certainly rate them at more than 2 stars for that price!

I have some. DOn't use them any more, but 2 stars is in fact harsh in my opinion. As the eight legged one says its someones reputation on the line. 2 stars is pretty damning. I thought they were at least as good as my other cables.

WHFS&V have quite possibly the greatest influence on sales in the land, certainly in Great Britain.

ÿI just wonder if some nasty prankster had the speakers out of phase during the gotham test.ÿ

Or maybe we need Michael Moore! (How on earth did that large object suddenly appear in the middle of the Pentagon?) Answers, on a postcard to...bleeeaaarrrrrrgh.....

ÿ

ÿ

It is true that WHF do have a big influence on proper hifi, but they conducted blind tests against other cables, so if you believe that all tests are carried out as suggested, then the 2 star rating is right. I think with the lengths that the team go to, to stress about the testing procedure, and bearing in mind the high quality partnering 'reference' equipment, then the product patently doesn't live up to the hype. They are all experienced ears who make a living out of listening to kit.

ÿ

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I am admittedly a bit thrown by the argument that if you spend twice the money, you can get a better cable - firstly, I'm not convinced how true that is (as I've said ad yawneam), but secondly, that argument wouldn't work with a CD player - "yeah this 200 quid player is OK but this 400 quid one is much better".

Of course that argument wouldn't work with products £200 apart. But £20 apart? Round-of-drinks-in-a-pub apart? That's all it takes for a far better cable, in our opinion (and lengthy testing experience).

Again, if you'd rather save the money, that's great, too!

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
But if you have some, and you're happy with them then it's cool.

I listened to critics of branded cable and bought some 6mm copper cable, properly terminated, and I'm disappointed, and I have been ever since I got them. Not a patch on my QED SA XT, which I gather is poor according to some forum members. I personally think it's excellent.

ÿ

A

Anonymous

Consideration also has to be paid to the equipment the cables are connected to. As noted many times, the resultant sound from any system can not be predicted by reading specification sheets. Whilst some may not see an improvement, others most definately will. I include myself in the latter. Those flappy things on the side of your head also play a crucial role in judging preformance. Whilst the review may seem harsh to some, it was exactly that which prompted me to look beyond my Gothams. Let me clarify that I do not take reviewers words as gospel. Always looking to screw the most out of my modest system without having to spend money I dont have, I read and ingested comments made in the review and on this forum. The decision was made to take a gamble so off to ebay I went. I found some Merlin Chopin Classics at about half price from the manufacturers which from further investigation looked like they would do the job. Like I have said previously, I do not have the option of trying things on spec. My local dealer does not offer this facility so I 'pays me money and takes me chances'.

I will say that upgrading from Gothams to the Merlins has been a revelation and some of the best money I have spent. I have ordered another cable from Merlin to connect my headphone amp.

A

Anonymous

Ha! Do you think if I was Mr. Gotham I would be talking about "harsh treble", "they are no match for my ........", "the comments on his ebay page are ludicrous", "I will continue to recommend these cables to a beginner on a budget".

No, I'm not Mr. Gotham I'm just sticking up for a man doing a good service to the hifi world in an area not covered by the big boys because of margins. I have been recommending him for a long time so I therefore feel the need to stick by my word and not let him be walked over.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Firstly let me say I had read all this stuff here which made me actually purchase a pair of these Gotham cables to see who was right and who was wrong. We all agree that they cost very little but from there on in we are poles apart.

I can tell you the WHF review is far off the mark. I have a very H/End system that reveals any failings of cables and these are not bad at all

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
MrMusic:

Firstly let me say I had read all this stuff here which made me actually purchase a pair of these Gotham cables to see who was right and who was wrong. We all agree that they cost very little but from there on in we are poles apart.

I can tell you the WHF review is far off the mark. I have a very H/End system that reveals any failings of cables and these are not bad at all

What have you tested them against and what is your system?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:MrMusic:

What have you tested them against and what is your system?

First post and straight on to a discussion 6 months previous - very strange.

TRENDING THREADS