Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I think he's insinuiting that people are only now saying the Gotham's are rubbish because WHF said so. For some reason, pudley has taken a personal affront to the review - I'm guessing he's the person who makes them?

A

Anonymous

WHF are cables recommended source specifically? It appears chebby is liking his Gothams paired with his turntable as it may add a little otherwise missed (something). I don't want to jump to conclusions but so many people of a certain experience (including myself) cannot be wrong, even when compared to the reviewing masterclass of yourselves?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Small update..

Been turning a few more sides/tracks.

Now one of my all-time fave Johnny Cash tracks is 'Orange Blossom Special'. It has some fantastic harmonica and sax solos with an acoustic that almost sounds like they were recorded in a very large old Victorian, ceramic tiled lavatory! Towards the end of the track some guy buts in with the words... "Say Man, When You Going Back To Florida ?". I am used to this question just suddenly coming out of nowhere with a very close-miked immediacy followed by Cash ad-libbing his... "I don't care if I do-di-do-di-do" bit.

A great little track that has just been ruined by the Chord Crimsons :-( It sounded like it was recorded in a cupboard! No resonance, ambience, no sense of space that I am used to and the.. "Say Man, When You Going Back To Florida ?" bit sounded like it came out of the same mike cash was singing into at the same level in the same cupboard from the same direction. No sudden 'where did THAT come from?' moment.* No hairs going up at the fantastic harmonica and sax breaks and no speculation going on about the acoustic surrounding them. Cupboard, definitely a cupboard.

Back to Gothams and all is restored.

This is not looking good for my £55 so far. (I have kept packaging, receipt, bag etc. just in case. Luckily the Chord packaging for the custom lengths does not involve cutting or tearing anything to open.)

* Sorry if my references to Johnny Cash sounds like Martian to all you heavy metallers and 'Floydies' :)

What music was used to review the Gothams and Chord Crimsons?

Sounds to me like you had your mind made up before you started! I had Crimsons before I upgraded and I tried the Gothams in between. I could not hear a difference in my budget system and there is no way that the Gothams were better.

A

Anonymous

Gerrardasnails:Sounds to me like you had your mind made up before you started!

Rather unfair considering he has gone to the extent of ordering and paying for the cables to test them.

Plenty of people have commented on this thread who have not heard the Gothams nor cables in their bracket. That's unfair.ÿ

A

Anonymous

Chebby, I would love to hear any more opinions you have on the G.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
pudley:Oh the power of magazine reviews. Strange how few of these type of reviews were around beforehand.

Not quite sure what point(s) you're trying to make here.

I'm confused. Do you want me to simplify, or are you baiting?

A

Anonymous

pudley:Andrew Everard:
pudley:Oh the power of magazine reviews. Strange how few of these type of reviews were around beforehand.

Not quite sure what point(s) you're trying to make here.ÿ

I'm confused. Do you want me to simplify, or are you baiting?ÿ

Not quite sure what point(s) you're trying to make here.ÿ

Give up?ÿ

A

Anonymous

chebby:As Claire suggested earlier, I will run the cables in for a while yet and try to be fair. (Blind testing is a bit out of the question until I get the cables around to a friend's system and have him switch them whilst I am out of the room.)However, the tone being taken is getting a bit dogmatic so I may just back out of this thread.I want these Crimsons to perform well as they represent £55 out of the money I was going to spend on a Michell Tecnoweight instead. The WHF 5 star review was very encouraging AND it gave me an excuse to get slightly longer leads (the 3m Gothams are a bit short and the Crimsons at 3.5metres were ideal) because Chord will do 'custom' lengths. Heck they even look nicer than the GAC-1's!It also added 30 minutes to my home journey and got me wet in the rain collecting the bloody things so, no, if I had made my mind up in advance it was in the expenctancy of the Chords sounding much better. That really was/is the hope.Thanks

ÿ

to quote the seller...."The auction is for 1-meter stereo length but can build them to any shorter/longer length you wish. (click here (link removed)ÿfor the custom lengths.ÿ If you require other lengths not listed please contact us for a quick quote.

"

ÿ

Just to clarify in case I am sounding like an advert, I don't even use the Gothams any more. Just thnought I would clear that one up though... Custom lengths are quite typical of most ebay sellers....ÿ

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:pudley:
I'm confused. Do you want me to simplify, or are you baiting?ÿ

I don't bait.

ÿ

Well consider it a suduko then. Personally I hate suduko. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Consider it Gothumu! A brand new game with no definite winner! A must for all the family!ÿ

A

Anonymous

chebby:As Claire suggested earlier, I will run the cables in for a while yet and try to be fair. (Blind testing is a bit out of the question until I get the cables around to a friend's system and have him switch them whilst I am out of the room.)

However, the tone being taken is getting a bit dogmatic so I may just back out of this thread.

I want these Crimsons to perform well as they represent £55 out of the money I was going to spend on a Michell Tecnoweight instead. The WHF 5 star review was very encouraging AND it gave me an excuse to get slightly longer leads (the 3m Gothams are a bit short and the Crimsons at 3.5metres were ideal) because Chord will do 'custom' lengths. Heck they even look nicer than the GAC-1's!

It also added 30 minutes to my home journey and got me wet in the rain collecting the bloody things so, no, if I had made my mind up in advance it was in the expenctancy of the Chords sounding much better. That really was/is the hope.

Thanks

thanks for your input chebby. as someone else suggested, is it possible that possible that the gothams are more suited between your turntable and amp? maybe you could test them and the crimsons between your cdp (assuming you have one) and your amp. if you have time

A

Anonymous

Even though there is plenty of input on this already i thought id try one see why there is so much interest on here decided fairest way like everyone else was to blind test with me and a friend between the cables i use qed silver spirals, chord crimsons and also some older ones i had around the house qed qunex 2. Keep this very brief i preferred my silver spirals but then these were alot more expensive! i found the sound more detailed and open we didnt hear a massive gap in the crimsons and the qunex but we both preferred the crimsons. The Gothams sounded fine for the money but just in our opinions how cheap you can often get some qunex 2s for ebay it was what i would go for if i wanted something cheap just my opinion!

A

Anonymous

This debate, as usual has turned ridiculous. The educated opinions will go amiss if they continually get called wrong by users who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
This debate, as usual has turned ridiculous. The educated opinions will go amiss if they continually get called wrong by users who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

ÿ

But surely anyone with ears, and a set of gothams, is educated in the positive or negative aspects of them?

I am only going off memory, but they weren't bad at all in my estimation.

ÿOr am I barking up a bendy tree?

ÿeller hur?

ÿ

A

Anonymous

pudley:
But surely anyone with ears, and a set of gothams, is educated in the positive or negative aspects of them?

This isÿpreciselyÿwhat I meant by educated. Not in the ways of the universe, the horse or the spiderman. Only the Gotham.

A

Anonymous

it all comes down to personal taste in the end. Many folk have praised the Gees. Not many before now have come out and condemmned them. WHFS&V have essentially put a salt cube in the tea that was the Gotham ebay sellers golden pot. Possibly it will melt unnoticed, and possibly someone will spit it out as savoury nonsense.

ÿ

I personally liked the cable, and will comtinue to recommend, WHFS&V says "NO", but then so did a cross-dressing comedian's computer in a travel agents...All will be revealed in the final analysis.ÿ

A

Anonymous

What I meant is this thread has had almost 300 responses (I must admit to quite a few) and almost 6000 views. I'm guessing about 20 informed opinions will be involved in the 300. I'm guessing there will be a lot of opinions based on nothing where as people like myself and chebby go out of our way to prove to ourselves we are not wrong in our beliefs.

It harms my perception of these forums when people say such rudimentary remarks about things they know nothing of.

A

Anonymous

Octopo:
What I meant is this thread has had almost 300 responses (I must admit to quite a few) and almost 6000 views. I'm guessing about 20 informed opinions will be involved in the 300. I'm guessing there will be a lot of opinions based on nothing where as people like myself and chebby go out of our way to prove to ourselves we are not wrong in our beliefs.

It harms my perception of these forums when people say such rudimentary remarks about things they know nothing of.

ÿ

In all obviouslyness, people commenting on the pros and cons of accessories they have not yet heard (not in a swirling around the head fashion like some 80's toy mind) are a bit "monty python silly"--- STOP THAT! But anyone with experience has a non extraterrestrial right to say what they think i feel in my very marrow (My grandad would know bless his nylon socks) ÿ

A

Anonymous

professorhat:I think everyone has gone mad - just look at people talking about how an AV receiver is attractive in another thread!
Is there a full moon tonight?!

ÿ

..and then I look at your avatar and...Very artistic, but VERY full moon (and maybe just a little 'blow-up dummy' like?)ÿ

A

Anonymous

chebby:OK Clare, will do. As for running in... I will plug the Crimsons into the back of the TV and have them playing radio from Freeview all night into the amp (on zero volume). That will give them 12 hours or so with a signal going through them. Although this 'running-in' business - for cables - also stretches my credulity (as much as directionality) as someone with a scientific/technical/IT background. Turntables yes, cartridges yes, speakers certainly (all mechanical). However I will do it and hope no-one asks why.

A cable is also a physical item, and its structure changed by wear and tear. ofton the metal is bulk aligned but we have different needs from the surface of the wire to its core. HF tends to skip along the surface, and LF needs the entire core. This leaves the core and surface in different conditions. As you have an engineering background you may be interested in the subject of cryotreating. Taking metal from hot to cold a few times over. It ends up many times stronger as it realigns chemically. Likewise forged items are stronger than cast ones as casting leaves things out of order. Bedding in is changing the composition of whats there. It's still metal, but your making it shift into pattens that make electron swapping easyer.

Maybe i should of kept quiet :)

i would think your crimsons sound quieter as the sound is together still, not splattered out over longer time frames or sharpened up and firtigueing. In my own tests of £40-£80 cables using £300 components i found that every £5 increment led to a tameing of the treble that was like a reduction in volume but more so like shifting the tops down in frequency, giving a more natural focused sound but at the expense of... height? extension? i cant find the word. Cheaper sounded shriller and louder. This was about 12 years ago, so what you get at them price points are somewhat changed. non were silver, and they made maplins silver cable sound like it should of been hundreds. discontinued...

these gotham's are £15 delivered now. based on my findings back then there a waste of someones hifi.

that high street retailer 'cheapo sound' have a large bin of loan cables. You just leave a deposit and off you go. I reckon more people need to make use of this service as how else can you get half a dozen cables to play with at no cost in your own home. Perhaps you could enlarge your report chebby as a handfull of others would make your findings much more credable to any 'non believers'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts