Ha! Gotham GAC-1 review........

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I had one. I liked it so much I went mad and bought a Voyager.

Nice.

A

Anonymous

Further back in this thread someone said that Gotham users are staying very quiet so here goes.......As a Gotham user, this thread was of immense interest and after reading all the comments I thought I would bite the bullet and spend a couple of quid (that I dont have) on a new interconnect. Ebay came into its own again and I settled for a Merlin Chopin Classic. Listed at about half price did it for me. I dont have a lot of spare cash so this was going to be a do or die decision (£40.00 all in got me the cable) . They are also available direct from Merlin as well. Delivery next day (today) and the cable was inspected and connected before the postman had gone 50 yds.

The verdict is..........wait for it...............MAGIC.
emotion-19.gif
Yes I have to concur with the review. Its only been on an hour or so but there is a very definate improvement. Everything sounds more open detailed and airy. As an example, listening to some Jazz Soprano sax I can hear the pads closing the holes which I could before but now it sounds more like pads closing a hole and not someone throwing a wet sock at a wall. (I am not that good at describing sound but you get the idea) soundstaging has also improved, left and right was always OK but now I get front to back as well.
emotion-1.gif
Please be aware that I am not able to do a switch over test so my results are based on listening to the Gotham for a while and then swapping over to the Merlin (disabilities make access to the back of the gear difficult). Dont know about burn in but it can only get better, right!

Now I have a dilemma....I would really like to get another to replace the Gotham to connect my headphone amp but that will have to wait a while until I can find the spare cash. Hey Ho.

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
raym87:
Further back in this thread someone said that Gotham users are staying very quiet so here goes.......As a Gotham user, this thread was of immense interest and after reading all the comments I thought I would bite the bullet and spend a couple of quid (that I dont have) on a new interconnect. Ebay came into its own again and I settled for a Merlin Chopin Classic. Listed at about half price did it for me. I dont have a lot of spare cash so this was going to be a do or die decision (£40.00 all in got me the cable) . They are also available direct from Merlin as well. Delivery next day (today) and the cable was inspected and connected before the postman had gone 50 yds.

The verdict is..........wait for it...............MAGIC.
emotion-19.gif
Yes I have to concur with the review. Its only been on an hour or so but there is a very definate improvement. Everything sounds more open detailed and airy. As an example, listening to some Jazz Soprano sax I can hear the pads closing the holes which I could before but now it sounds more like pads closing a hole and not someone throwing a wet sock at a wall. (I am not that good at describing sound but you get the idea) soundstaging has also improved, left and right was always OK but now I get front to back as well.
emotion-1.gif
Please be aware that I am not able to do a switch over test so my results are based on listening to the Gotham for a while and then swapping over to the Merlin (disabilities make access to the back of the gear difficult). Dont know about burn in but it can only get better, right!

Now I have a dilemma....I would really like to get another to replace the Gotham to connect my headphone amp but that will have to wait a while until I can find the spare cash. Hey Ho.

Would like to try the Chopin myself. As for Gotham to quote Mr Obama "You can put lipstick on a pig..."

This is based on swapping back to Gotham yesterday just to check again. They lack fine detail.

A

Anonymous

It's amazing how a bad review by a few 'experts' suddenly makes a cable that thousands of people have been using, enjoying and recommending, so bad.

I will continue to use my GAC-1 (and have compared to more expensive cables), and continue to recommend as a decent cheap alternative to the branded stuff.

It's a pity it wasn't compared to the NVA sound cord and maybe a Van Damme Cable, both available from ebay.

Either way, this thread tends to confirm my own thoughts that the cable makes startlingly little difference compared to the actual components. (Not NO difference mind you.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Always nice to insult your hosts when you join a Forum
emotion-5.gif

I'll repeat again that if people are happy with the Gothams after having also tested better (note 'better' not 'more expensive' - the two don't always mean the same thing) cables, then that's great - fits into our core buying advice re deciding on what suits you.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pudley:
It's amazing how a bad review by a few 'experts' suddenly makes a cable that thousands of people have been using, enjoying and recommending, so bad.

I will continue to use my GAC-1 (and have compared to more expensive cables), and continue to recommend as a decent cheap alternative to the branded stuff.

It's a pity it wasn't compared to the NVA sound cord and maybe a Van Damme Cable, both available from ebay.

Either way, this thread tends to confirm my own thoughts that the cable makes startlingly little difference compared to the actual components. (Not NO difference mind you.)

"thousands of people", I would say there are about 20 or 30 on here. Slight exaggeration?

A

Anonymous

pudley:

Also hearing a difference does not always mean an improvement either.........

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chebby:Gerrardasnails:"thousands of people", I would say there are about 20 or 30 on here. Slight exaggeration?

UK-CBE has 1977 feedbacks with only 1 neg out of 1250 +ve's this year. So - even allowing for UK-CBE selling some other products - that is probably far more GAC-1 users than... "20 to 30 on here".

"Thousands" is less of an exaggeration than 20 to 30.

You can't give neg feedback on ebay anymore and when you could, people rarley bothered as it meant they were likely to get the same back.

Out of the 1977 feedbacks, how many said, "great cables, you have to try them"? That is a recommendation. "Swift delivery, many thanks", is not. When I mentioned 20 or 30, I was talking about 20 or 30 people on here (I was one of them) that said that they were good value, no brainer and all that. I haven't thrown mine away. It was only bought to connect my receiver to my amp.

John Duncan

pudley:It's amazing how a bad review by a few 'experts' suddenly makes a cable that thousands of people have been using, enjoying and recommending, so bad.

I don't think that a bad review makes it bad, it makes it not as good (in absolute terms) as people here thought. That doesn't mean "not good enough". I think it forces people to look again at their systems and see what's possible, which is what I'm doing. I reiterate that I've tested them against modest branded cables and have found no difference, and therefore to me it is good value, since I always said I wasn't going to go mental cable-wise. But WHF have an awful lot more to compare it with, and an awful lot more to compare it in, and the phrase "least sympathetic addition to our reference system ever" suggests to me that I can do better. As I say above, if my 200 quid RRP cables sound the same, they're going back.

pudley:Either way, this thread tends to confirm my own thoughts that the cable makes startlingly little difference compared to the actual components. (Not NO difference mind you.)

Disagree on 'startlingly little' - I've heard 500 quid cables that have blown my mind. But they'd be pointless in my system (well, not pointless, but certainly price-inappropriate).

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:pudley:It's amazing how a bad review by a few 'experts' suddenly makes a cable that thousands of people have been using, enjoying and recommending, so bad. I don't think that a bad review makes it bad, it makes it not as good (in absolute terms) as people here thought.

I disagree. They are every bit as good as people thought, even in absolute terms, IF people liked them. I have tested them against cables up to £100, and they are comparible. Now maybe I haven't got the bat ears that some people have, but for me (and thousands of others) they have worked well in their system/s and now because they are being told they are 'crud' (which a 2 star review essentially hints at), people are talking of changing. And you yourself have been prompted into spending a whopping £200 on a cable (I am sure it will be better, but by how much?)

Some people I believe are a little easily led into making buying decisions based on a popular magazine, rather than using their own ears, and prompted into an expensive( and unnecessary) upgrade of a system they are enjoying. It's craziness.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It's not craziness at all if someone who has only ever had the Gotham cables buys a new set and thinks they're better as a result of this review. Why on earth are you getting so worked up about what other people do and think? If you're happy then that's fantastic for you. If other people try other cables and think they're better, then that's great for them too, wouldn't you agree?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:pudley:And you yourself have been prompted into spending a whopping £200 on a cable

£82 actually.

But based on their rrp, how close do they come to being "price inappropriate" in your system, if i may be so bold?

John Duncan

al7478:JohnDuncan:pudley:And you yourself have been prompted into spending a whopping £200 on a cable

£82 actually.

But based on their rrp, how close do they come to being "price inappropriate" in your system, if i may be so bold?

Pretty damn close.......

John Duncan

al7478:JohnDuncan:pudley:And you yourself have been prompted into spending a whopping £200 on a cable

£82 actually.

In fact, pretty much on the nose. £200 is stupid money for a bit of wire.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Cheers. Thats the vibe i was getting. Tho i guess to some extent its a personal thing. Personally, id struggle with the concept of paying more than about £30 for an interconnect, even if you double the rrp of my system. Naturally, ebay bargains make it easier, but then its easier to find a "bargain" of £82 on a £200 cable than a bargain of £10/15 on a £30-40 cable. But im not really an experimenter. im happy to ask "can i afford it (and do i think its reasonable)", and "can i be bothered?", and proceed accordingly.

A

Anonymous

pudley:
It's craziness.

AaaaAArrrrhhhhhhhh.......Yes, it is. When will this thread just, well, DIE.

John Duncan

I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

I would be surprised if you didn't notice a marked difference/improvement John.

I've said from the off that the Gotham is comparable to me with Crimson and Cobra 3 - I didn't notice a clear difference. However, there is a stark difference, even with our level of equipment, when using very good interconnects.

By the way, my Chameleon Silver Plus is a £100ish cable and the Gotham is not in the same league. I don't know what £100 cables Pudley tested his Gotham with...

daveh75

Gerrardasnails:chebby:Gerrardasnails:"thousands of people", I would say there are about 20 or 30 on here. Slight exaggeration? UK-CBE has 1977 feedbacks with only 1 neg out of 1250 +ve's this year. So - even allowing for UK-CBE selling some other products - that is probably far more GAC-1 users than... "20 to 30 on here". "Thousands" is less of an exaggeration than 20 to 30. You can't give neg feedback on ebay anymore and when you could, people rarley bothered as it meant they were likely to get the same back. Out of the 1977 feedbacks, how many said, "great cables, you have to try them"? That is a recommendation. "Swift delivery, many thanks", is not. When I mentioned 20 or 30, I was talking about 20 or 30 people on here (I was one of them) that said that they were good value, no brainer and all that. I haven't thrown mine away. It was only bought to connect my receiver to my amp. imo the amount of positive feedback isn't necessarily an indication of the quality of a product, it's as much if not more about quality of service, would also like to add, that if the "gotham "works for you, all well and good, if it doesn't buy something else and move on, really dont think any cable good or bad, cheap or expensive needs this amount of attention, and i'm including myself it that

John Duncan

Gerrardasnails:JohnDuncan:I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

I would be surprised if you didn't notice a marked difference/improvement John.

I've said from the off that the Gotham is comparable to me with Crimson and Cobra 3 - I didn't notice a clear difference. However, there is a stark difference, even with our level of equipment, when using very good interconnects.

By the way, my Chameleon Silver Plus is a £100ish cable and the Gotham is not in the same league. I don't know what £100 cables Pudley tested his Gotham with...

And if this is the case, then fantastic. £82 for a 'marked' difference (for the better, one hopes) will do for me.......

A

Anonymous

Further to my previous post......I had always thought that there was more performance available in my system but didnt have a clue on the best way to extract it nor a lot of cash to spend on experimentation. What the review did for me was to point me in the direction of maybe just maybe it was my cables letting me down. They were correct. I have in the past recommended Gotham cables to others on this forum. That recommendation was based on my experience at the time. I dont have the finances to try out new cables every month nor do I have a nearby dealer that will let me try them on sale or return basis so like I said, it was a gamble buying new cables but for me the gamble payed off.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:I also struggle with the concept of paying more than £30 for an interconnect if a 10 quid one sounds exactly the same (which is my experience so far). However, am taking WHF at their word that this is nonsense, so have pushed boat out to buy best cable I could possibly comprehend putting in my system (ie a 200 quid one, though even that is pushing it) at a price I can get back if needs be. I suspect this will be my last experiment on the subject though.......

OK, but whf seem to be saying that there are better cables at a similar price. your ears (and your ears alone really arent that inferior to the aggregared opinion published in the mag) have told you otherwise. So, confused as to why you'd go so far as cables that even whf may say are innapropriate for your gear (apologies, i little guesswork is at play here).

However, would like to hear your conclusions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts