Granite Isolation Platforms?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
hi i own a b&w zeppelin air, i have it on a wooden bedside cabinet i am looking to but a granite isolation platform and place the speaker on that, would it make much difference or a noticable difference at least?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You can get Granite Worktop Savers from Argos for about £10....get 2 if one isn't thick enough.

It should help, especially if you get some cheap Sorbothane feet from Ebay....but if it doesn't, you can return it to Argos and look to a product from Auralex (eg. Speaker Dudes).

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Squash balls are better and even better put squash balls under the granite. BTW marble is much better than granite as its molecular structure traps more rogue electrons.

Chris

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Be careful with granite. Some granite can emit radon gas and radiation can have a detrimental effect on electronic devices.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20080730/granite-countertops-a-recipe-for-danger

http://www.windows2universe.org/physical_science/physics/electricity/electronics_radiation_damage.html&edu=high

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I have experimented with similar..No benfit with fronts but it helped the sub (not ignoring expectation bias possibly) Depends on so many factors but for few £'s its worth a try. If it does nowt then wifey gets some worktop savers. My sub has feet - bluetak - slab - blutak - slab - blutak - ply/spikes with carpet floorboards. Ive tried squash balls, slate etc. My opinion after lots of experimentation is speaker position & bass traps are most significant in my room and most other things make only small.differences at best. I hope to be off the tablets within the year and I am getting treatment for the solvent abjse problem.. :cheers:

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Be careful with granite. Some granite can emit radon gas and radiation can have a detrimental effect on electronic devices.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20080730/granite-countertops-a-recipe-for-danger

http://www.windows2universe.org/physical_science/physics/electricity/electronics_radiation_damage.html&edu=high

All granite emits radon!

Chris

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If we believe everything we read, we wouldn't do anything, eat anything, or touch anything. Next they'll be saying that if we tie our shoelaces in a certain way, we'll be at risk from some sort of cancer. How has the human race survived since the Stone Age?!!

Overdose said:

:rofl:

For what is is worth the use of granite slabs is overrated (although not if you are a granite slab salesman!)

Covenanter said:
Overdose said:

All granite emits radon!

Chris

Correct. but I think it might have dissipated by the time you get it from A*da. :grin:

David@FrankHarvey said:
If we believe everything we read, we wouldn't do anything, eat anything, or touch anything. Next they'll be saying that if we tie our shoelaces in a certain way, we'll be at risk from some sort of cancer. How has the human race survived since the Stone Age?!!

Come to that how did it survive before the Stone Age?

Perhaps wooden isolation blocks were flavour of the month. :grin:

...and they probably had it right.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:

Many people here seem to swallow audio marketing BS hook, line and sinker yet when it comes to easily provable facts they have doubts.

Re radon - if you lived in Cornwall you wouldn't be so flippant about it, particularly if your water supply came from a borehole. It's not a scientific fad that will be shown to be false next year like the red wine & dark chocolate prevents heart attacks idea that is now apparently not the case.

pauln said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Many people here seem to swallow audio marketing BS hook, line and sinker yet when it comes to easily provable facts they have doubts.

Re radon - if you lived in Cornwall you wouldn't be so flippant about it, particularly if your water supply came from a borehole. It's not a scientific fad that will be shown to be false next year like the red wine & dark chocolate prevents heart attacks idea that is now apparently not the case.

Not just Cornwall. I'm from Devon and, whilst I fully appreciate the dangers that radon gas can present, it has no place appearing in a hifi forum.

I believe apologies must be presented to the OP for taking this post so far off course.

Now... back to them squash balls....

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
i had no idea about radon from granite and now i'm quite paranoid about it, but can a 15cm x 15cm small block of granite really be a health concern? should i buy or do without it, or is there really a better alternative? i put an offer in of £60 for the granite one link above on ebay, maybe i should rtract my offer?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I got this respond from the seller when asked about the granite and whether it would make a difference to the zeppellin air.....

In answer to your questions....

1. I am sure you will notice the difference. I have sold many of these and tested them myself with the Zeppelin, and to be honest i find the Zeppelin very bass heavy - Wood absorbs the low end frequencies making the sound more 'wooly', the platform isolates this so the bass is more punchy and the midrange and treble are enhanced. - Yes, If you weren't happy then you can return it no problem. But I cant refund postage both ways.
2. It is one of my standard 400x300mm platforms, suitable for either a Zeppelin Air or Zeppelin Mini.
3. Since starting the business in 2006, i have sold a good few thousand platforms (mainly for floorstand/standmount speakers) and I have never been asked about radiation. As people have their entire kitchen tops and bathrooms in Granite, i really cant see a small piece like this being a health issue, but i have never felt the need to look into this.

Kind regards,
Chris.
rsacoustics.co.uk

ontheline said:
i had no idea about radon from granite and now i'm quite paranoid about it, but can a 15cm x 15cm small block of granite really be a health concern? should i buy or do without it, or is there really a better alternative? i put an offer in of £60 for the granite one link above on ebay, maybe i should rtract my offer?

See what I mean, a little knowledge is dangerous. |(

Do not fret at all about getting your granite blocks as there will be no radon (or any other gas for that matter) associated with them.

Go ahead with you offer.

I only dislike granite isolation as I think wood does a much better job, but that's just me.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You can never be too careful!

If you consider granite slabs as having significant beneficial properties to your audio equipment, along with many other dubious or unprovable claims from snake oil sellers, then the very real and provable problems relating to a radioactive gas present in granite (and many other types of stone) should be of real concern. Believing something to be true does not make it so and conversely, willing away a potentially real problem is also equally futile.

T

the record spot

I'm sure if granite was that much of a problem, the people of Aberdeen would've left years ago!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
I only dislike granite isolation as I think wood does a much better job, but that's just me.

Now that is a sensible point.

IME Wood (eg. MDF / Plywood) is better for amps / sources; but Granite can work well, specifically for putting under speakers that are sitting on a suspended floor / cabinet....though the likes of Auralex isolation products are better.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:

If you consider granite slabs as having significant beneficial properties to your audio equipment, along with many other dubious or unprovable claims from snake oil sellers, then the very real and provable problems relating to a radioactive gas present in granite (and many other types of stone) should be of real concern. Believing something to be true does not make it so and conversely, willing away a potentially real problem is also equally futile.

Me, I wouldn't swim in Loch Ness.... ;)

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:

Now that is a sensible point.

IME Wood (eg. MDF / Plywood) is better for amps / sources; but Granite can work well, specifically for putting under speakers that are sitting on a suspended floor / cabinet....though the likes of Auralex isolation products are better.

OP wants it under a Zeppelin Air on a wooden bedside cabinet. Not too sure granite block is going to make too much of a difference in this particular situation. (Salesman sounds a tad 'oily' to me).

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi ontheline,

As for the health hazard: you shouldn't be too worried about a tiny piece of granite (it's not uranium)! Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

As for the sonic benefits: not a clue! Try it out and report back, please!

:cheers:

Overdose said:

Only if you happen to live in a modern 'draft-free' home situated on top of a ruddy great pluton of the stuff.

Your granite worktop has no intrinsic health hazards associated with .... unless you happen to drop it on your foot whilst fitting. :)

And I'm a real Geologist....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts