Granite Isolation Platforms?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
Overdose said:
You can never be too careful!

If you consider granite slabs as having significant beneficial properties to your audio equipment, along with many other dubious or unprovable claims from snake oil sellers, then the very real and provable problems relating to a radioactive gas present in granite (and many other types of stone) should be of real concern. Believing something to be true does not make it so and conversely, willing away a potentially real problem is also equally futile.

Only if you happen to live in a modern 'draft-free' home situated on top of a ruddy great pluton of the stuff.

Your granite worktop has no intrinsic health hazards associated with .... unless you happen to drop it on your foot whilst fitting. :)

Now that is a real and provable problem related to granite indeed!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
OP wants it under a Zeppelin Air on a wooden bedside cabinet. Not too sure granite block is going to make too much of a difference in this particular situation. (Salesman sounds a tad 'oily' to me).

My only issue is the cost of "Audiophile Granite".

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

As for the health hazard: you shouldn't be too worried about a tiny piece of granite (it's not uranium)! Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

As for the sonic benefits: not a clue! Try it out and report back, please!

:cheers:

hi there thanks for the great reply, good points noted. I suppose a tiny piece like that shouldn't be an issue but maybe you should have your place tested for high levels with that amount, or are you certain it's not a health hazard? I think i will purchase this and will certainly respond with either positive or negative feedback on it's sonic benefits. thanks for your words.

CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
OP wants it under a Zeppelin Air on a wooden bedside cabinet. Not too sure granite block is going to make too much of a difference in this particular situation. (Salesman sounds a tad 'oily' to me).

My only issue is the cost of "Audiophile Granite".

Me too. That particular type of granite is known in geological terms as 'soddinripoff' of which there are many associated with the hifi industry. :grin:

Me, I only had to visit my mate would worked in a local quarry to get my cheap 'non-audiophile' version.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Only if you happen to live in a modern 'draft-free' home situated on top of a ruddy great pluton of the stuff.

Your granite worktop has no intrinsic health hazards associated with ....

Precisely.

And I used to live on top of one with a borehole taking our water supply out of it.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Shame the thread went AWOL. Whilst health hazards are important I think there are more important issues to worry about. Isolation is not snake oil tho its implimentation using 'audiophile' materials may be in question. Your options are clear so report progress but dont bother with the Geiger counter.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Al ears said:
Overdose said:
You can never be too careful!

If you consider granite slabs as having significant beneficial properties to your audio equipment, along with many other dubious or unprovable claims from snake oil sellers, then the very real and provable problems relating to a radioactive gas present in granite (and many other types of stone) should be of real concern. Believing something to be true does not make it so and conversely, willing away a potentially real problem is also equally futile.

Your granite worktop has no intrinsic health hazards associated with .... unless you happen to drop it on your foot whilst fitting. :)

Now that is a real and provable problem related to granite indeed!

DocG is smart and funny. damn, the seller wants £100 for it, so giving i don't drop £100 worth of granite on my foot things should be fine, although i'm waiting for someone to post the most negative depressing article against buying granite, i'm buying tomorrow or tuesday, so let's see what happens between now and then on the many opinions on the safety of granite to health and the negative effects to the electronics being used with granite as read from an earlier link.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
pauln said:
Al ears said:

Precisely.

And I used to live on top of one with a borehole taking our water supply out of it.

Ah, that explains everything. :twisted:

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
if i buy the granite it will be situated right next to my bed, so it's a matter of inches away where i'm sleeping, is that a good idea to have it right under my nose , end up having nightmares over a piece of granite, lol don't know what to do. don't want to have the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes in my lungs when waking up each morning over a piece of granite.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ontheline said:
if i buy the granite it will be situated right next to my bed, so it's a matter of inches away where i'm sleeping, is that a good idea to have it right under my nose , end up having nightmares over a piece of granite, lol don't know what to do. don't want to have the equivalent of smoking 100 cigarettes in my lungs when waking up each morning.

Put a clothes peg on your nose and wear a snorkel while in bed. ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
pauln said:

When people tell you that you have a healthy glow you might take it as a compliment. But they don't realise that you continue to glow when the lights are out.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
good idea :cheer: I do have a full size window on the opposite side, so maybe if i have the window opened fully each night it might compensate for the granite, most of the dangerous radon gas may make it's way out into the open air instead of straight into my lunds. :dance:, only thing if it's freezing outside, it's either i keep the window open and freeze to death or i take the risk i close the window breath in every last bit or granite gas and maybe never wake up again. :cheers:

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
ontheline said:
good idea :cheer: I do have a full size window on the opposite side, so maybe if i have the window opened fully each night it might compensate for the granite, most of the dangerous radon gas may make it's way out into the open air instead of straight into my lunds. :dance:

Don't worry about it. Even if it does release a bit of radon there's not going to be enough coming out of a chopping board sized piece to do you any harm. You might want to get it tested if you lived in a house that is built on a huge granite rock though.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
ontheline said:
good idea :cheer: I do have a full size window on the opposite side, so maybe if i have the window opened fully each night it might compensate for the granite, most of the dangerous radon gas may make it's way out into the open air instead of straight into my lunds. :dance:, only thing if it's freezing outside, it's either i keep the window open and freeze to death or i take the risk i close the window breath in every last bit or granite gas and maybe never wake up again. :cheers:

thinks i've taken this too far. :p

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
pauln said:
Al ears said:

Precisely.

I moved away after developing webbed feet.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

As for the health hazard: you shouldn't be too worried about a tiny piece of granite (it's not uranium)! Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

You must love granite!

Chris

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

You must love granite!

Chris

Well yes, apart from the radiation soothing my joint aches, it's also calcium-free (as opposed to marble, for example), so it is not easily stained with oil or acids! :p

EDIT: Thinking of it, my architect, who advised me on the granite, has fluorescent yellow eyes and three legs! :eek:

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
:clap: :clap:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

You must love granite!

Chris

Well yes, apart from the radiation soothing my joint aches, it's also calcium-free (as opposed to marble, for example), so it is not easily stained with oil or acids! :p

EDIT: Thinking of it, my architect, who advised me on the granite, has fluorescent yellow eyes and three legs! :eek:

hahaha :clap: :clap: just think of the acoustics you'll have in your house. i believe you read this after already agreeing to a 200 square metre lot of granite, are you hving second thoughts, if so please cut me a bit of your granite 16cm x 16cm i'd rather not pay £100 to get lung cancer, least if i get lung cancer i never paid anything for the granite.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
ontheline said:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

You must love granite!

Chris

hahaha :clap: :clap: just think of the acoustics you'll have in your house. i believe you read this after already agreeing to a 200 square metre lot of granite, are you hving second thoughts, if so please cut me a bit of your granite 16cm x 16cm i'd rather not pay £100 to get lung cancer, least if i get lung cancer i never paid anything for the granite.

Sure, no problem! You can have a piece!

But the transport, in a bio-hazard container, with the necessary skilled personnel, is gonna cost ya!

pauln said:
CnoEvil said:
pauln said:
Al ears said:

Precisely.

I moved away after developing webbed feet.

...and having gone completely quackers!

DocG said:
ontheline said:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

You must love granite!

Chris

But the transport, in a bio-hazard container, with the necessary skilled personnel, is gonna cost ya!

Of quartz it is..... sorry :rofl:

How about a nice bit of benign Millstone Grit / Delabole Slate instead?

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
ontheline said:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

You must love granite!

Chris

this is great, what had started off as i thought was quite a serious thing has now turned into me having fits of laughter from the responses, i'm not sure anymore whether this is just one big wind up or if there really is something to worry about with granite. :wall:

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
so there is benefits from granite so it's 50/50 if it helps with the boomy sound from the zeppellin air i think it's a no brainer. I'm pushing myself closer to buying this piece of granite, at one point i was comparing superman with meteorite and the effects granite has with human beings. :type: :wall: >)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts