Granite Isolation Platforms?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
ontheline said:
DocG said:
ontheline said:
:clap: :clap:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

As for the health hazard: you shouldn't be too worried about a tiny piece of granite (it's not uranium)! Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

As for the sonic benefits: not a clue! Try it out and report back, please!

:cheers:

You must love granite!

Chris

Well yes, apart from the radiation soothing my joint aches, it's also calcium-free (as opposed to marble, for example), so it is not easily stained with oil or acids! :p

EDIT: Thinking of it, my architect, who advised me on the granite, has fluorescent yellow eyes and three legs! :eek:

hahaha :clap: :clap: just think of the acoustics you'll have in your house. i believe you read this after already agreeing to a 200 square metre lot of granite, are you hving second thoughts, if so please cut me a bit of your granite 16cm x 16cm i'd rather not pay £100 to get lung cancer, least if i get lung cancer i never paid anything for the granite.

Sure, no problem! You can have a piece!

But the transport, in a bio-hazard container, with the necessary skilled personnel, is gonna cost ya!

this is great, what had started off as i thought was quite a serious thing has now turned into me having fits of laughter from the responses, i'm not sure anymore whether this is just one big wind up or if there really is something to worry about with granite. :wall:

I'm not a physisist although I know some physics but my understanding is:

All of the rocks of the earth contain a certain amout of uranium, not a lot as it is a rare element, and as this undergoes radioactive decay one of the products is radon gas. (It does this very slowly - the half-life of Uranium 238 is in billions of years.) Some rocks are very permeable and the radon is released into the atmosphere quicky where it disperses and becomes part of the background radiation. Granite is very impermeable so radon escapes from it very slowly and therefore a lump of granite will have more radon left in it than say a lump of sandstone. The amount of radon is pretty small but it can be a health hazard in a house made of granite where there is poor ventilation. This is because radon is a heavy, inert gas that can collect in corners, cellars etc. In parts of the country where houses are made of granite the usual treatment is to put in lots of extra ventilation.

So if your house is made of granite you should have it checked. A piece of granite under a speaker or in a kitchen worksurface shouldn't emit any meaningful amount of radon. They wouldn't be allowed to sell it if it did!

If I were the good doctor I'd make sure my house was very well ventilated as he has a seriously large area of granite.

So IMO if you want to put granite under your speakers go ahead.

Chris

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Covenanter said:

All of the rocks of the earth contain a certain amout of uranium, not a lot as it is a rare element, and as this undergoes radioactive decay one of the products is radon gas. (It does this very slowly - the half-life of Uranium 238 is in billions of years.) Some rocks are very permeable and the radon is released into the atmosphere quicky where it disperses and becomes part of the background radiation. Granite is very impermeable so radon escapes from it very slowly and therefore a lump of granite will have more radon left in it than say a lump of sandstone. The amount of radon is pretty small but it can be a health hazard in a house made of granite where there is poor ventilation. This is because radon is a heavy, inert gas that can collect in corners, cellars etc. In parts of the country where houses are made of granite the usual treatment is to put in lots of extra ventilation.

So if your house is made of granite you should have it checked. A piece of granite under a speaker or in a kitchen worksurface shouldn't emit any meaningful amount of radon. They wouldn't be allowed to sell it if it did!

If I were the good doctor I'd make sure my house was very well ventilated as he has a seriously large area of granite.

Chris

Should be fine. We'll have a mechanical ventilation system, so the air flow can be adjusted as needed.

Thanks for the concern! :cheers:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
Should be fine. We'll have a mechanical ventilation system, so the air flow can be adjusted as needed.

Thanks for the concern! :cheers:

....either that, or Devialet will develop some extra firmware that will help. :twisted:

Covenanter said:
ontheline said:
DocG said:
ontheline said:
:clap: :clap:
DocG said:
Covenanter said:
DocG said:
Hi ontheline,

As for the health hazard: you shouldn't be too worried about a tiny piece of granite (it's not uranium)! Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

As for the sonic benefits: not a clue! Try it out and report back, please!

:cheers:

You must love granite!

Chris

Well yes, apart from the radiation soothing my joint aches, it's also calcium-free (as opposed to marble, for example), so it is not easily stained with oil or acids! :p

EDIT: Thinking of it, my architect, who advised me on the granite, has fluorescent yellow eyes and three legs! :eek:

hahaha :clap: :clap: just think of the acoustics you'll have in your house. i believe you read this after already agreeing to a 200 square metre lot of granite, are you hving second thoughts, if so please cut me a bit of your granite 16cm x 16cm i'd rather not pay £100 to get lung cancer, least if i get lung cancer i never paid anything for the granite.

Sure, no problem! You can have a piece!

But the transport, in a bio-hazard container, with the necessary skilled personnel, is gonna cost ya!

this is great, what had started off as i thought was quite a serious thing has now turned into me having fits of laughter from the responses, i'm not sure anymore whether this is just one big wind up or if there really is something to worry about with granite. :wall:

Chris

Almost right but not quite. It does not matter what the house is made of it depends on where the house is in relation to the granite pluton.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for getting this on topic again. Just for a second, I promise!

I'll have a look tomorrow if there's a piece left of about the size you need. If so, I'll happily send it to you.

So don't buy anything yet!

I'll keep you posted!

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Sorry for getting this on topic again. Just for a second, I promise!

I'll have a look tomorrow if there's a piece left of about the size you need. If so, I'll happily send it to you.

So don't buy anything yet!

I'll keep you posted!

that's extremely kind of you, if so just let me know and i will send you the amount for posting etc plus the cost of the bio hazard container. ;) :cheers:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Been to the building site today. Lots of granite leftovers, but not much you could use.

I found this one piece: 18 x 12 x 2 cm (nicely cut). Would that be OK for your Zep? I also found a 34 x 38 x 2 cm tile, but that will be heavy for posting.

Just let me know what you think. If it is your thing, ask John (the mod) to send me your email address and we'll take it from there.

ontheline

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks ever so much for your reply, the 18x12 seems a nice cut for the Zep but to be honest if it's only 2cm deep i don't think it would be ideal for the sound isolation, i don't see a piece with that thickness making really much difference. I really appreciate your kindness but perhaps if someone in the know thinks it's worth trying then i may give it a go.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ontheline said:
thanks ever so much for your reply, the 18x12 seems a nice cut for the Zep but to be honest if it's only 2cm deep i don't think it would be ideal for the sound isolation, i don't see a piece with that thickness making really much difference. I really appreciate your kindness but perhaps if someone in the know thinks it's worth trying then i may give it a go.

It should help, especially if you put cheap sorbothane feet under it.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ontheline said:

and a lead plate on top. ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Overdose said:
CnoEvil said:
ontheline said:

and a lead plate on top. ;)

No need, as the OP is going to wear a Snorkel.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
ontheline said:

2cm deep is perfectly adequate for something like the Zep, or most hifi for that matter - doesn't sound like much but it is the material itself rather than the absolute thickness which is important.

CnoEvil said:
ontheline said:

Getting into a bit of a viscious circle there Cno.

If you are going to do that then you might just as well stick the Sorbothane feet to the bottom of the Zeppelin and forget the granite slab.

Job done, no nasty gas, and no need for snorkel - sorted. :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
Getting into a bit of a viscious circle there Cno.

If you are going to do that then you might just as well stick the Sorbothane feet to the bottom of the Zeppelin and forget the granite slab.

The Zepplin is still being isolated by the Granite, but the Sorbothane now isolates the Granite from the cupboard (so imo, not the same as putting the Sorbothane directly under).....it's like an extra layer of insurance.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hmm Sorbothane eh. Thats got Methyl isocyanate in the mix. Now far be it from me to freak the OP out even more than he is but.......

Bhopal :twisted:

I don't think Union Carbide make Sorbothane, however, it is funny how this thread is revolving around gases as Isocyanates are produced by treating amines with phosgene.

And I think we might know what that one is........... :O

I can now see the OP swiftly ditching any ideas of isolating anything from anything. :rofl:

Well, maybe a nice piece of wood then.....

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

Goethe liked granite. He wrote an essay about it. It's called "On Granite". It's quite interesting.

TRENDING THREADS