Granite Isolation Platforms?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
matt49 said:
DocG said:
Our new house will have over 200 m² of granite floor, and I'm not worried either. And I'm a real doc!

(moreover: a little radiation seems to help alleviate rheumatoid arthritis and the like; that's what the benefit of spa therapy in Austria is attributed to!)

Goethe liked granite. He wrote an essay about it. It's called "On Granite". It's quite interesting.

Clever chap, wonder if it was down to the small doses of radon? :grin:

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
ontheline said:
good idea :cheer: I do have a full size window on the opposite side, so maybe if i have the window opened fully each night it might compensate for the granite, most of the dangerous radon gas may make it's way out into the open air instead of straight into my lunds. :dance:

Don't worry about it. Even if it does release a bit of radon there's not going to be enough coming out of a chopping board sized piece to do you any harm. You might want to get it tested if you lived in a house that is built on a huge granite rock though.

While completely off topic, for those who care, radon gas is a real health issue in a modern well sealed houses in a granite area. I lived in the US in an area subject to radon from granite. We had a borehole for house water, and were advised to only drink bottled water.

The basement had a complex forced air ventilation system to remove radon that had seeped into the house though the ground. The bore hole water went through a large radon gas scrubber sytem to remove any disolved radon before it was piped up into to the house. The plumbing and ventitlation system in the basement looked like a small oil refinery.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Slightly more on topic, this thread (as usual) confuses isolation and coupling.

Also (as usual) no clear definintion of the original problem - is the wooden cabinet resonating? is it airborne vibration causing this, or through the speaker body, is the speaker itself in need of better support? and so on and so on.

Once the problem is clear, the solution is usually obvious. Granite, squash balls or move the Zep to a different cabinet.

andyjm said:
Slightly more on topic, this thread (as usual) confuses isolation and coupling.

Also (as usual) no clear definintion of the original problem - is the wooden cabinet resonating? is it airborne vibration causing this, or through the speaker body, is the speaker itself in need of better support? and so on and so on.

Once the problem is clear, the solution is usually obvious. Granite, squash balls or move the Zep to a different cabinet.

As I tried to point out, as I believe the Zep and said speaker to be one and the same, the granite block will be purely coupling and not isolating.

Hence sorbothane under the Zep.

If if is airborne vibration then he is playing that Zep too bl88dy loud! :)

T

the record spot

If the issue is isolation then granite alone isn't the answer as whatever vibration is occurring won't be offset by plonking down a bit of granite.

There needs to be something in the way that will absorb the vibration but not conduct it and pass it through. TrevC and his thick sponge material would be better.

the record spot said:
If the issue is isolation then granite alone isn't the answer as whatever vibration is occurring won't be offset by plonking down a bit of granite.

There needs to be something in the way that will absorb the vibration but not conduct it and pass it through. TrevC and his thick sponge material would be better.

'Zactly. That's what the Sorbothane does.

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
the record spot said:

'Zactly. That's what the Sorbothane does.

Isn't the idea to 'conduct' it through and not store the energy? In my experience attempts at isolation are flawed to begin with and a dead end 'solution'.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Getting into a bit of a viscious circle there Cno.

If you are going to do that then you might just as well stick the Sorbothane feet to the bottom of the Zeppelin and forget the granite slab.

The Zepplin is still being isolated by the Granite, but the Sorbothane now isolates the Granite from the cupboard (so imo, not the same as putting the Sorbothane directly under).....it's like an extra layer of insurance.

You could then put another peice of granite under the sorbothane to isolate it from the cupboard. Of course you might need a stronger cupboard then to carry all that granite.

Chris

Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:
Al ears said:
Getting into a bit of a viscious circle there Cno.

If you are going to do that then you might just as well stick the Sorbothane feet to the bottom of the Zeppelin and forget the granite slab.

The Zepplin is still being isolated by the Granite, but the Sorbothane now isolates the Granite from the cupboard (so imo, not the same as putting the Sorbothane directly under).....it's like an extra layer of insurance.

You could then put another peice of granite under the sorbothane to isolate it from the cupboard. Of course you might need a stronger cupboard then to carry all that granite.

Chris

That would be the 'belts-and-braces' approach.... speaking of which you could just suspend the Zep from the ceiling... Ta Dah!

I'll get my coat...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Al ears said:
As I tried to point out, as I believe the Zep and said speaker to be one and the same, the granite block will be purely coupling and not isolating.

Hence sorbothane under the Zep.

If if is airborne vibration then he is playing that Zep too bl88dy loud! :)

It's something I've messed about with. I like wood under amps / digital sources; and speakers on a platform made of Auralex Grammas and Granite

Yes the Zep is coupled with the Granite, which helps block vibration / resonance going through to the cupboard. The Sorbothane completely isolates the Granite from the cupbard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts