Fun, dynamic, engaging, romantic, lush speakers/systems?

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Is there any? A friend was asking me this, and he wants to put an audio system in a 10mx5m room with no knowledge and experience whatsoever :wall:

Budget was 10000-20000 for the whole system. The less the better.

The title was his requirement, and he said he dont care for detail, clarity, timber, accuracy, true to recording, real, correct and whatever things we audiophiles usually do. :read:

So he wants a system that is fun, very dynamic, lush, romantic and engaging and he can listen while he sleeps :clap:

He listens to jazz (especialy ecm jazz trios and quartet), rock, blues, electronics and quite versatile. No organs, opera, orchestral and chamber.

Can this be done?? :boohoo: :rockout: :cheers:

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
To be honest most if the adjectives you list are not helpful as we all have our own interpretations of the and in my mind some of the contradict one another. Some of them make me think of warm pipe and slippers sound, others something forward. The best advice really would be to listen to as many different speakers as possible and not rush the decision. There is a lot more types of speakers than you'll just find in the typical high street so really looks around, maybe he's a horns man and just doesn't know it.

when someone says "lush" to me or think of valves and maybe some Harbeths, but then I'd also think "natural", perhaps some Spendor would give that sound?

but then maybe he's look for something different altogether? Perhaps some budget 3 way actives like KRK Rokit 10-3, they sound huge and warm, have many qualities but wouldn't be for me.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
With a budget like that of course he'll get a great system, I would advise your friend to get himself into some good retailers and start auditioning.

J

jcbrum

Fun, very dynamic, lush, romantic and engaging . . . [/b]

Are all rather subjective terms.

He might achieve his objective by selecting a system which is 'objectively' very competent, and then playing music which he finds 'subjectively' to be . . . .

"fun, dynamic, engaging, romantic, and lush".

JC

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Agree that these are all subjective terms, so who knows exactly what your friend might be looking for. Still, you will need a short list of stuff to start listening to so as to work out what exactly is required, and valves might be a good starting place, from Icon Audio or Unison Research, or perhaps a hybrid amp from Pathos. Triangle speakers seem to work well in these contexts. So at the bottom end you could try pairing Triangle's Quartet speakers with an Icon Stereo 60, and work up to the Triangle Magellan Cello on the end of perhaps Icon's new 845 Stereo amp or a Pathos / Unison alternative. As for source, that depends if your friend is looking at vinyl, silver disc or computer based.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
A pair of Sonus Faber floorstanders, Luito or Olympica would be my choice, (probably Liuto) and a Devialet 170.

Everything in the list above plus immense style and presence.

Sources to the choice of the owner, the Dev should be able to handle anything.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
kingsap said:
So he wants a system that is fun, very dynamic, lush, romantic and engaging and he can listen while he sleeps...

Two of these terms are moods (fun, romantic), two describe the musical 'presentation' of a system and/or the recording (dynamic, lush), and 'engaging' just describes a degree of involvement with the music playing. (Although sleeping through the music would suggest very little engagement!)

What your friend needs is a neutral system (one that doesn't stamp it's own character all over everything) that won't get between the music and the mood he wants it to generate.

This 'neutrality' is very difficult to attain. It means buying a system that is essentially 'forgettable' and where the desired mood can be dialled in purely by choice of music rather than choosing music aimed at getting the best from the equipment. A system that can be trusted to be raunchy and punchy when the music dictates and then soft and romantic just with a change of music. (And do both just as well.)

My understanding of ...

"...he dont care for detail, clarity, timber, accuracy, true to recording, real, correct and whatever things we audiophiles usually do."

... is that he doesn't want a 'hi-fi show' experience every time with a system that demands critical listening to it's 'party tricks', but wants - instead - to forget there is a system there at all and get on with dancing, or playing air-guitar, or jamming with the band in a smoky jazz club (or sleeping in your friend's case).

The bad news is that one man's 'hi-fi fireworks' system might be another's 'invisible musical servant'. So our recommendations will be useless. Your friend is going to be advised to start listening to a lot of equipment in hi-fi shop demos and that, in itself, utterly destroys the sort of intimate engagement with the music that generates the desired mood and throws the spotlight on equipment instead.

It's all a bit hopeless really :)

chebby said:
kingsap said:
So he wants a system that is fun, very dynamic, lush, romantic and engaging and he can listen while he sleeps...

Two of these terms are moods (fun, romantic), two describe the musical 'presentation' of a system and/or the recording (dynamic, lush), and 'engaging' just describes a degree of involvement with the music playing. (Although sleeping through the music would suggest very little engagement!)

What your friend needs is a neutral system (one that doesn't stamp it's own character all over everything) that won't get between the music and the mood he wants it to generate.

This 'neutrality' is very difficult to attain. It means buying a system that is essentially 'forgettable' and where the desired mood can be dialled in purely by choice of music rather than choosing music aimed at getting the best from the equipment. A system that can be trusted to be raunchy and punchy when the music dictates and then soft and romantic just with a change of music. (And do both just as well.)

My understanding of ...

"...he dont care for detail, clarity, timber, accuracy, true to recording, real, correct and whatever things we audiophiles usually do."

... is that he doesn't want a 'hi-fi show' experience every time with a system that demands critical listening to it's 'party tricks', but wants - instead - to forget there is a system there at all and get on with dancing, or playing air-guitar, or jamming with the band in a smoky jazz club (or sleeping in your friend's case).

The bad news is that one man's 'hi-fi fireworks' system might be another's 'invisible musical servant'. So our recommendations will be useless. Your friend is going to be advised to start listening to a lot of equipment in hi-fi shop demos and that, in itself, utterly destroys the sort of intimate engagement with the music that generates the desired mood and throws the spotlight on equipment instead.

It's all a bit hopeless really :)

I concur, with descriptive terms like that I can only wonder if his friend actually knows what he is looking for in a system. The only way is to get out and audition as I don't think this forum will be able to help directly.

Best to head out into the big wide world and audition whatever he can be that B&O or whatever.

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: Lol at the puppy comment

I also do not know what he wanted....thats why i ask for comments from this forum :)

He described my neat ultimatum/densen combo which is immensely musical to me as cold, though he likes the dynamics.

So in conclusion, i will ask him to go #*@+ himself and listen to other systems :D

kingsap

May 12, 2013
Visit site
:cheers: Lol at the puppy comment

I also do not know what he wanted....thats why i ask for comments from this forum :)

He described my neat ultimatum/densen combo which is immensely musical to me as cold, though he likes the dynamics.

So in conclusion, i will ask him to go #*@+ himself and listen to other systems :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I believe it can be done.

IME. He needs to be looking at Valves or possibly Solid State Class A.

SOURCE

Pathos Digit

Rega Isis Valve

Unison Research Unico Primo CD

AMP

Pathos

Jadis

Unison Research

McIntosh

Sugden Masterclass

Luxman

Accuphase

Musical Fidelity AMS35i

SPEAKERS

Sonus Faber

Audio Note

Harbeth

Spendor Classic Series

JM Reynaud

Diapason

Opera

COMPLETE SYSTEM

Audio Note

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
A pair of Sonus Faber floorstanders, Luito or Olympica would be my choice, (probably Liuto) and a Devialet 170.

+ 1

:grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

+ 1

Is it lush, though? :shifty:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

+ 1

With the SFs, yes, I think so. The amp is has the liquid character of Class A, and the SFs have a golden mid-range. Lush combo!

:santa:

Matt

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

+ 1

The floor standing Liuto is big and full bodied but who knows what the 'client' means by lush....... :?

The beauty of this system is that it does so much more than any 'conventional' system, great sounding, spectacular looks, tactile remote and ample fiexibility.

It makes you feel good before you even switch it on....... :rockout:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
davedotco said:

+ 1

With the SFs, yes, I think so. The amp is has the liquid character of Class A, and the SFs have a golden mid-range. Lush combo!

:santa:

Matt

Well, that makes it a perfect combination.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
If your friend is not affected by audiophilia (yet), I think a top-notch, but uncomplicated one-make-system would make sense. The aforementioned B&O solution (like a pair of BeoLab 9s + a BeoSound 5 or a third party preamp-DAC to his liking) looks appealing. When he says 'dynamic', it could be worth waiting for the hopefully-soon-to-arrive Avantgarde Zero1, speakers incorporating the pre-amp, active cross-overs, DACs and amplifiers. Just add a source and off he goes! In the same league: the Audiovector Discreet speakerline: everything but the sources in (indeed) a very discrete package. Then help him setting-up the speakers properly, and see if any homey acoustic treatment is necessary/feasible.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
If your friend is not affected by audiophilia (yet), I think a top-notch, but uncomplicated one-make-system would make sense. The aforementioned B&O solution (like a pair of BeoLab 9s + a BeoSound 5 or a third party preamp-DAC to his liking) looks appealing. When he says 'dynamic', it could be worth waiting for the hopefully-soon-to-arrive Avantgarde Zero1, speakers incorporating the pre-amp, active cross-overs, DACs and amplifiers. Just add a source and off he goes! In the same league: the Audiovector Discreet speakerline: everything but the sources in (indeed) a very discrete package. Then help him setting-up the speakers properly, and see if any homey acoustic treatment is necessary/feasible.

An Active design might give him what he doesn't want, which is: "he dont care for detail, clarity, timber, accuracy, true to recording, real, correct[/b] and whatever things we audiophiles usually do."
read.gif

Just sayin'. :twisted:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:

An Active design might give him what he doesn't want, which is: "he dont care for detail, clarity, timber, accuracy, true to recording, real, correct[/b] and whatever things we audiophiles usually do."
read.gif

Just sayin'. :twisted:

"He don't care for" is not the same as "He wants to avoid". Agree? :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts