floor standers v stand mounts

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I keep toying on changing my 13 year old rega elas. I assume that in the time I have had them and the changes in speaker technology the £575 that the elas cost would buy me a much better speaker now.

Quite fancy a stand mounter but find that comparing speakers on price is unfair when a set of super dreadnaughts is £180 on top or broadsides £300 extra.

Hence a £500 stand mount on broadsides can surely only be compared to a £800 floor stander.

So bearing in mind my listening area is 4m x 4m (16 sq meters) although the room is actually 48 sq meters as it is open plan with a budget of £800 what could anyone recommend to go with my cd5 with a teddy cap power supply and my nait 5i-2.

Mezzo 2's with broadsides cost £750 and mezzo 6's cost £800. I only use these as an example and I know cheaper prices could probably be found but in this example what would be a the superior or would i perhaps be better off changing my 5i-2 for an nait xs and keeping my elas?

I really don't know how my elas hold up now and am assuming they are the weakest link.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Acoustic Energy Radiance 1's - Small standmounts, £600.

I think they're great! (will see what WHF? think next issue... Those guys keep their cards close to their chest!) I may have a slight bias on the subject, but then I had a large part in designing them so they're exactly what I like in a speaker! ;)

A

Anonymous

Do you think it is right to include the stand price in with the smaller speakers when it comes to comparing them?

A

Anonymous

Yes I do, as decent ones can cost a fair chunk of your budget.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
clivee:Do you think it is right to include the stand price in with the smaller speakers when it comes to comparing them?

If you're stand-mounting them then absolutely!! (you may want to put them on a shelf) But if you're working to a budget then it all counts as part of the equation at the end of the day...ÿ

A

Anonymous

Thats my thought and so a £600 stand mount with super dreadnaughts should be compared to £800 floor standers?

Not that they are my choice but mezo 2's on broadside stands verses mezzo 6 floor standers. Are the 6's a vastly superior speaker than the 2's on very good stands asthe cost wouldbe similar. Just interested in general opinion on this point

A

Anonymous

To be honest I would say the super dreadnaughts are a preference rather than a necessity, i.e. if the bookshelf speakers were of a smaller size than something like the 685's then something around the 80.00 mark is more than sufficient to get sturdy stands i.e.Atacama Nexus.

A

Anonymous

Totem t4s. Heavy stands at possibly a fraction of the cost. 500 $CDN. Converted to pounds make for a great floorstand.

A

Anonymous

hi fi newbie i would say dreads are worth it, i auditioned 685 at the weekend and they sounded way better on dreads than on the atacams well worth the extra spend. i managed to get the super dreads for £150

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
AEJim:

I think they're great! (will see what WHF? think next issue... Those guys keep their cards close to their chest!) I may have a slight bias on the subject, but then I had a large part in designing them so they're exactly what I like in a speaker! ;)
Hi Jim.where you on the design team for the evo range? I have evo3,superb for the money. I also have the 109 floorstander on my old system,nice rich sound.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Johnno2:AEJim:

Hi Jim.where you on the design team for the evo range? I have evo3,superb for the money.ÿI also have the 109 floorstander on my old system,nice rich sound.

I was involved, but to a lesser extent - basically feedback and final tweaking/approval (was National Sales Rep at the time). The R&D boys did a very good job on them so I was happy in anycase - both speakers you mentioned are very capable! We even bought a pair of 109's off Ebay to have as a reference when working on the new ranges (our internal reference pair had disappeared somewhere over the years!).

Both are still very good speakers even when compared to current popular models, the 109's had paper cones (coated) that had some great qualities that are very hard to re-create with metal cones - the metal cones having advantages of their own! We spent a long time on the Radiance trying to get the best of both worlds, don't want this to sound like an ad so I won't go on about it - just to say that we still hold them in high regard and look to the past as much as the future with our current R&D set-up!

T

the record spot

Never heard them, but Q Acoustics 1050i at £330 would be my suggestion. Plenty of speaker for the money and I gather it can punch well above its (not insubstantial) weight with higher quality kit.

Looks are unimportant in my view, but even I baulk at the Q wood veneer - it looks cheap and nasty, but there is a black version which looks good IMO. I get the impression they're the kind of speaker you could sit down with for hours but at the same time they give you a good sense of space, impressive dynamics but not overbearing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts