Exposure 3010s2 won HiFi News latest supertest

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I know the Moon didn't score the highest but got editor's choice award. The reviewers seem to really like this amp, but said it's bass was a bit soft yet still powerful. Does it mean the Moon is the best if not for its softer, slower bass?

Exposure -1st 85%

Naim - 2nd 81%

Rega - 3rd 80%

Moon - 4th 78%

Nad - Last 75%

The review is completely opposite of Whathifi and other reviews. It said the XS2 was bright and forward sounding whereas Whathifi said it was lacking detail and too smooth, laidback. It said the Rega was warm, soft sounding, vieled whereas Whathifi said it was bright, revealing. I really don't think the Exposure 3010S2 is that good. IMO it is brighter, drier, and lacking musicality compared to all of those amps. It only in excels in power and bass.

I wonder how the Exposure 3010S2 compares to the Roksan Caspian M2???

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
csq2 said:
The reviewers seem to really like this amp,

Just to clarify , 'reviewer' singular, Nick Tate. What you have to bare in mind is that he without a doubt reviewed the amps at his house in his system. So the overall result is really what 'he' liked the best. If you read the bit in the final round up concerning his reference to the rega 'some listeners might rank it higher than third, others lower, its all down to taste'. So, if John Bamford had done the group test , the end result could well have been totaly different.

And this my friends is why reviews and group tests aint worth a light, in my umble opinion :).

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Exactly

Wonder how many on here rave about the Exposure without actually listening to it - just jumping on the bandwagon!

I have never heard the Exposure, but when you hear comments like 'brighty', 'edgy' in the same sentence as Exposure then it means only one thing.... yeah its a SS, and the Elcit is no different.

I know what I prefer

so, basically... just pick the one you like the look of. they all sound good.

if anyone asks, say it has a warm/bright sound with tight/soft bass and any number of cliche'd words reviewers like to use.

today, my amp is sounding a bit purple and pastry like. with a hint of grass. (which is what it may as well say in most reviews i've ever read)

matthewpiano

It is all just one person's opinion at the end of the day. Out of that little group of amplifiers each one will suit different listeners, partnering equipment and rooms, so there is something for everyone. I personally feel this hackneyed concept of 'winner' is irrelevant.

stevebrock said:
Exactly

Wonder how many on here rave about the Exposure without actually listening to it - just jumping on the bandwagon!

I have never heard the Exposure, but when you hear comments like 'brighty', 'edgy' in the same sentence as Exposure then it means only one thing.... yeah its a SS, and the Elcit is no different.

I know what I prefer

I've heard the older 2010S amp, and unless it's totally revamped inside, can't envisage the 3010S2 to be much different tonally. I certainly don't attribute Exposure with a bright or edgy presentation.

It could be, although can't say for sure, that the so-called brightness could be mistaken for extra clarity.

matthewpiano said:
It is all just one person's opinion at the end of the day. Out of that little group of amplifiers each one will suit different listeners, partnering equipment and rooms, so there is something for everyone. I personally feel this hackneyed concept of 'winner' is irrelevant.

Does anyone know what speakers or sources were used?

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
If I recall, the 3010S2 did win a group test in Hi-Fi Choice against tough competitors from Cyrus, Creek, and Cambridge Audio. Generally, it is well regarded, but it can be picky with speakers. I would not pair the Exposure with bright sounding equipment.

The Caspian M2 won a recent group test. Just wondering how it compares to Exposure 3010S2?

T

the record spot

Interestingly, I demo'd the Exposure 3010s2 in late 2011, along with a Leema Pulse and a Harman Kardon HK990. The Leema and the HK were far away and ahead of the Exposure amp. As I had the Sansui AU-717 at the time and I felt the Leema was the closest to the performance of the Sansui, you can take it as read that the Sansui wasn't any slouch against the 3010 either. As was, at over £1000, I felt the Exposure was a little lacking compared to the others. Nice enough, good build, but nothing I'd go out of the way for.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Does anyone know what speakers or sources were used?

Pretty much the first thing I look for * PP, will check again tomorrow but Im fairly sure nowts mentioned, just what tracks he used.

Cos I like to see what pig swill they use as a reference.

Thropplenoggin

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
They had a £12,000 DAC in last month's issue (standalone review)!

--

In an aside to Matthewpiano, did you ever hear your 1010 amp with the 1010 CD player?

matthewpiano

Thropplenoggin said:
They had a £12,000 DAC in last month's issue (standalone review)!

--

In an aside to Matthewpiano, did you ever hear your 1010 amp with the 1010 CD player?

Yes, that's how I originally heard it. Very good CD player but I'm not convinced it is particularly worth the extra over something like the Marantz CD6005.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have auditioned both the 2010s2 and 3010s2 and was very impressed by them. Very spacious, clear and detailed sound, and with impressive soundstage. I found the sound to be forward in the Naim way, but maybe more neutral. I can also see how pairing the Exposure with bright speakers might not be a favourite of many.

At the time I listened to them with Kef LS50, and they just didn't produce the sound I was after. Since then I have tried and owned other amplifiers and speakers until I ended up with what I have now—Arcam FMJ A19 with Kef R100. I regret that I didn't get to listen the Exposure 2010s2 with Kef R100, though. Since these are somewhat warmer speakers than the LS50, I think it could have been a great match for me. But I have been very happy since I've had my current setup, and at the time I was already very tired of dealing with boxes—even though davedotco and plastic penguin still got me to test a Creek Evolution 2 afterwards. :)

The same way that there are other brands that I will not care much about auditioning again for my next upgrade, Exposure will be right there at the top of my list.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
Interestingly, I demo'd the Exposure 3010s2 in late 2011, along with a Leema Pulse and a Harman Kardon HK990. The Leema and the HK were far away and ahead of the Exposure amp. As I had the Sansui AU-717 at the time and I felt the Leema was the closest to the performance of the Sansui, you can take it as read that the Sansui wasn't any slouch against the 3010 either. As was, at over £1000, I felt the Exposure was a little lacking compared to the others. Nice enough, good build, but nothing I'd go out of the way for.

Please explain what the Exposure 3010S2 was lacking compared to Leema. What do you listen to? I think Exposure is more for people that listen to rock, rap, electronic, pop, and other up-tempo music. It can do classical and jazz but not as great as Leema. Generally, I find the Exposure forward sounding with a thinner midband and lacking a bit of depth. Bass is tight but a bit monotonal.

T

the record spot

I listen to a very broad range of music across most genres and over quite a few eras from the 30s up to now. My test tracks would've included Yes' Starship Trooper, Joni Mitchell's Night Ride Home, Genesis' Entangled or Mad Man Moon and a couple of others.

Simply the Leema and the HK delivered better clarity and a more convincing presentation. The HK incidentally is about as neutral as you'll get, moreso than the Exposure. I just felt on the day that the 3010S2 didn't have enough and wasn't what I'd expected from an amp costing what it did.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
csq2 said:
The reviewers seem to really like this amp,

Just to clarify , 'reviewer' singular, Nick Tate. What you have to bare in mind is that he without a doubt reviewed the amps at his house in his system. So the overall result is really what 'he' liked the best. If you read the bit in the final round up concerning his reference to the rega 'some listeners might rank it higher than third, others lower, its all down to taste'. So, if John Bamford had done the group test , the end result could well have been totaly different.

And this my friends is why reviews and group tests aint worth a light, in my umble opinion :).

I agree - personal bias does make this sort of review very subjective and it could be risky buying based solely on one person's opinion.

Then again, there is some scope for taking note of particular writers if you find their tastes to be similar to yours.

For instance, in 1993 Alan Sircom (now editor of another hifi mag) wrote a very positive review of the then-new ProAc Response 1 speaker which prompted me to audition it and later, to buy it.

I didn't change speakers for 17 years afterwards. Needless to say, I've a lot of time for Mr Sircom's opinion. Others which I pay attention to are David Price in another UK mag and over in the US, John Atkinson and Art Dudley.

Even so, best to listen for youself and better still, arrange a home demo.

PS My experience with Exposure amps has always been positive -they make great products. I'm not surprised that this particular model beat off competition from the likes of Naim and Simaudio.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Is the Exposure 3010s2 really good? I still looking for a good amp for my Dynaudio 260. I've heard the Naim xs2. Seems nice, but find the bass not good and deep. And maybe a little bright. The exposure has a lot of power. That is good for my Dynaudio. And isn't Exposure good for rock and metal?

I will hear also the MF m3i.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts