Exposure 3010s2 won HiFi News latest supertest

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
peterpan said:
Is the Exposure 3010s2 really good? I still looking for a good amp for my Dynaudio 260. I've heard the Naim xs2. Seems nice, but find the bass not good and deep. And maybe a little bright. The exposure has a lot of power. That is good for my Dynaudio. And isn't Exposure good for rock and metal?

I will hear also the MF m3i.

In my opinion, it is very good. But given your thoughts of a Naim XS 2, I'd suggest you try Arcam.

EDIT: The Musical Fidelity M3i can also be a very good option. Not as detailed and good-imaging as the Arcam in my opinion, but not forward in the higher frequencies like Naim or Exposure. And it does have solid, tight bass.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Not much dealers of Exposure here in the Netherlands, but there is one at 40 km distance. Next week i will listen to the Exposure. The cheaper 2010s2 must also be good. But not so powerfull.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Not much dealers of Exposure here in the Netherlands, but there is one at 40 km distance. Next week i will listen to the Exposure. The cheaper 2010s2 must also be good. But not so powerfull.

would be interesting to read your 1st person thoughts about the sound.

is there a different sound ideal in your country compared to Britain?

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
A named review by an established (and consistant) reviewer at least gives you a barometer to gauge an opinion before audition.

I've heard the 3010S2 and it's a smooth, but not soft, amp. Great composure, and silky in the top end. The Naim is faster, more robust, and tonally has some lift in the upper mid in comparison.

But there are so many factors that will effect the end result. Sources and speakers used, what cables, whether mains filters were used (exposure and Naim equipment can deal with a bit of mains dirt, but sound limp when fed with a throttled mains supply.

Find a local dealer with a couple 'reviewed' products, and compare them with anything else they would suggest is better, and let your own ears decide.

If the dealer is honest, and more importantly, has years of practical experience of different brands, most will happily let you home trial something in the confidence you'll order one the next day!

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
unsleepable said:
peterpan said:
Is the Exposure 3010s2 really good? I still looking for a good amp for my Dynaudio 260. I've heard the Naim xs2. Seems nice, but find the bass not good and deep. And maybe a little bright. The exposure has a lot of power. That is good for my Dynaudio. And isn't Exposure good for rock and metal?

I will hear also the MF m3i.

In my opinion, it is very good. But given your thoughts of a Naim XS 2, I'd suggest you try Arcam.

EDIT: The Musical Fidelity M3i can also be a very good option. Not as detailed and good-imaging as the Arcam in my opinion, but not forward in the higher frequencies like Naim or Exposure. And it does have solid, tight bass.

M3i has rolled off high frequencies and poor bass, so not idea for rock. Naim is bright sounding, maybe too bright for rock and metal. Exposure would be smoother sounding with tighter bass than the Naim. For metal and rock, get the Exposure. The magazine measure the Exposure with 140W/ch 8ohms which are plenty of power to rock.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
csq2 said:
M3i has rolled off high frequencies and poor bass, so not idea for rock. Naim is bright sounding, maybe too bright for rock and metal. Exposure would be smoother sounding with tighter bass than the Naim. For metal and rock, get the Exposure. The magazine measure the Exposure with 140W/ch 8ohms which are plenty of power to rock.

Must be a matter of taste then… I've listened to the M3i and both 2010s2 and 3010s2 side by side, and while I preferred the Exposures overall, I found the bass of the M3i more pronounced and solid—too warm for me, though. Doing A/B listening made it the more obvious.

The Exposure might be a tad smoother than Naim, but it also pushes the higher frequencies forward in a similar manner.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
unsleepable said:
Must be a matter of taste then… I've listened to the M3i and both 2010s2 and 3010s2 side by side, and while I preferred the Exposures overall, I found the bass of the M3i more pronounced and solid—too warm for me, though. Doing A/B listening made it the more obvious.

The Exposure might be a tad smoother than Naim, but it also pushes the higher frequencies forward in a similar manner.

I should've been more specific: I meant the M3i lacks DEEP bass and some attack. I agree, the Exposure is slightly brighter, more revealing, but not as forward sounding as Naim. The only con I can say about the Exposure is that it lacks depth and not 3D sounding, thus, instruments lack space and soundstage is not as wide.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
It will be Exposure or MF. Here in Holland the new Lyngdorf tdai 2170 becomes very, very good reviews, but expensive. I've heard it. The roomperfect works good. Sounds good, not warm, but bad records sounds very very bad on the Lyngdorf. For good records good, for bad records horrible.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ICC.jpg

ICC - Taking on the loudness war

With ICC (Intersample Clipping Correction), the TDAI-2170 can reshape clipped signals back to their original shape, thus compensating for the loudness war.

http://lyngdorf.com/products/amplifiers/tdai-2170/product

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
But with ICC bad records didn't sound better on the Lyngdorf.

Hifichoice said MF m3i has bright highs and must be carefully partnered.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I listen to a lot of music all day long and I have tinitus so I am very picky about hifi sounding bad with bad records. My combo of B&W CM1 and Kandy K2 is very very smooth but detailed. I listen to it all day with zero fatigue, on any record, loud. The downfall of this combo is it wont appeal to most people since it is not bright enough and lacks presence in the upper midrange. I can easily remedy this with a +3db bump at 2kHz in my JRiver DSP but I found that I enjoy my music more as is.

Forget reviews and tailor your Hi-Fi to your ears and listening habbits.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir,

I have tinnitus too. Maybe thats why is very senitiv for sharp highes. That's why i bought Dynaudio speakers what with my music, metal and rock, many people don't understand. For me it is very good. I like a warmer, darker sound. Many today's are too bright for me. Also the Naim. But a Marantz was even worser.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
I listen to a lot of music all day long and I have tinitus so I am very picky about hifi sounding bad with bad records. My combo of B&W CM1 and Kandy K2 is very very smooth but detailed. I listen to it all day with zero fatigue, on any record, loud. The downfall of this combo is it wont appeal to most people since it is not bright enough and lacks presence in the upper midrange. I can easily remedy this with a +3db bump at 2kHz in my JRiver DSP but I found that I enjoy my music more as is.

NICELY SAID.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:

I agree.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I reviewed some Exposure stuff from the "classic series" for years now, for a french internet portal.

Was a great little buster, that wasn't, in anyway, worse than an accuphase e-360. In blindtest mode and with harmonized volume (locked by 70 db), it was not possible to make the exposure chain out from the accuphase chain.

In those time, the classic pre+power was a really good combo for those who love live music and want a good impression of reality in a neutral way and with lots of details.

I could, although, generally, only recommend peoples to stay away from such classments like "best thing of the year" and so. Because, like already said, it's generally giant bull... and you know the end of the sentence. I reviewed a lot of hifi gear in the last years, and I cannot agree some things I read on magazines or review portals. You must not forget about the personal tastes of the reviewer, the conditions of testing, what material did he had... and a last factor.... how many the good placed brands paid for beeing there.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I've heard today short the Exposure 3010S2. It sounds better to me than the Naim XS2. Better, faster and deep bass, more full body and powerfull. I think for my Focus 260 and my music, metal, rock, pop, till now the best i've heard. I like a warmer sound without shrill highs. If the sound of Exposure was warmer it was more perfect for me. But i think i can good live with it. Or will there another such amp who sounds warmer? MF M6i is too expensive for me. What about the MF M3i? Or not power enough? Or was it HifiChoice who found it a little bright?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
peterpan said:
I've heard today short the Exposure 3010S2. It sounds better to me than the Naim XS2. Better, faster and deep bass, more full body and powerfull. I think for my Focus 260 and my music, metal, rock, pop, till now the best i've heard. I like a warmer sound without shrill highs. If the sound of Exposure was warmer it was more perfect for me. But i think i can good live with it. Or will there another such amp who sounds warmer? MF M6i is too expensive for me. What about the MF M3i? Or not power enough? Or was it HifiChoice who found it a little bright?

You are going a very similar route I went myself… I'd still recommend you to audition Arcam if you can.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I like the sound of Exposure more than the sound of NAD. Also much better bass. The 3010S2 is very powefull. Ialways listen music in the evening at low level. I did not even turn the volume is turned up a quarter. Will the cheaper 2010S2 enough for me? But is the sound the same?

TRENDING THREADS