Amp Suggestions for Revel Concerta M16 speakers

Dazb

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
I have recently purchased the Revel Concerta M16 speakers and they are currently being driven by a a 20 year old Kenwood KA 3020se amp.
I really want to replace this amp with a modern higher spec amp.
I am looking at the following.
Rega Brio, Elex or Elicit .
Naim XS3 or Naim Nait 5si
Musical Fidelity ms3i or ms5i
Denon pma 1600
Exposure 3010s2d
Heed Eleqit
Primare i15 or i35

Does anybody know how these amps will be compatible with the Revels.

My listening room is 4metre square.
My musical tastes consist of Indie, rock, Ska and New wave guitar /electronic.

My main source is vinyl, for which I use a vintage Thorens TD 150 mk2 turntable.

Any advice will be more than welcome

I have recently purchased the Revel Concerta M16 speakers and they are currently being driven by a a 20 year old Kenwood KA 3020se amp.
I really want to replace this amp with a modern higher spec amp.
I am looking at the following.
Rega Brio, Elex or Elicit .
Naim XS3 or Naim Nait 5si
Musical Fidelity ms3i or ms5i
Denon pma 1600
Exposure 3010s2d
Heed Eleqit
Primare i15 or i35

Does anybody know how these amps will be compatible with the Revels.

My listening room is 4metre square.
My musical tastes consist of Indie, rock, Ska and New wave guitar /electronic.

My main source is vinyl, for which I use a vintage Thorens TD 150 mk2 turntable.

Any advice will be more than welcome
just about all the amps you mention will drive the Revel speakers well. First you have to weed out the ones that don't come fitted with a phono stage as standard and ditch the ones with an inbuilt DAC if you don't need it, that will shorten the list somewhat, plus I would throw Arcam into the mix.
then you could tell us what your maximum budget is because that's one big price range in that list

Last edited:

Dazb

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
My budget is about £1500 but could be stretched depending.
Happy to buy second hand or opened box demo for the right amp.
Would like a sound signature on the warm side of neutral and a built in phono stage would be preferable but happy to add an external phono.
Did have a Graham Slee Relex on loan recently but it wasn't night or day compared to the inbuilt phono stage inside the Kenwood, so not sure what I would need to spend to hear a big improvement.

Dazb

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
I am looking at an all analogue system as I would say the majority of my listening is vinyl playback.
I do use a moving magnet cartridge.
I use a Nagaoka MP110, which I am more than happy with.

Reactions: Al ears
In that case I would have said Exposure with their moving magnet module but that, as with many on your list is over your £1500 budget unless you can find second hand
Look at your list again realistically would be my thoughts.
if you can find one second hand I would strongly recommend you look at a Creek Evolution 50A but that's just my suggestion as your original list is very wide spread budget wise.
A lot is going to depend on whether you are happy ex display of second hand or you require the reliability of new with warranty.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
The Hegel H95 is an amp & Dac. It was based on the H90 which already had good reports but its DAC was slightly lacking in SQ. So according to reviews the H95 basically has an improved DAC (same as the one in H190) but managed the to keep the cost of £1500. According to reviews the amp now is really involving on analogue and digital front but the trade of is its not a Roon end point . Its worth an audition...?

The Hegel H95 is an amp & Dac. It was based on the H90 which already had good reports but its DAC was slightly lacking in SQ. So according to reviews the H95 basically has an improved DAC (same as the one in H190) but managed the to keep the cost of £1500. According to reviews the amp now is really involving on analogue and digital front but the trade of is its not a Roon end point . Its worth an audition...?
At no point did he say he needs an inbuilt dac, in fact he states all analogue, so why propose this amp ? It doesn't have a phono stage as far as I am aware

Last edited:

Dazb

Nov 27, 2019
Visit site
I know some of the amps I have listed are above my budget but have seen some 2nd hand / open box recently. Will try to keep the list to the ones with built in phono stages and see what I can demo.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts