Great amp for Tannoy DC6 speakers... possibly MF M3i or Nait 5i?

thecuthbert

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently replaced my Musical Fidelity Ref 2 speakers with a new set of Tannoy Dc6's. I was delighted for a few weeks until my trusty MF X-2 packed up. A capacitor went in it a couple of years ago and it cost me a fair bit for Musical Fidelity to fix. I think the same thing has happened again and I've decided to replace the the amp now...

I want to feel I've made an upgrade as much as a replacement and have decided to allow myself £1000. As I live overseas with no decent hifi shops I'll have to buy it when I'm home in the UK over Christmas. There are two drawbacks... 1, I won't have much time to audition equipment and 2, I won't be able to take it back to the Middle East in it's box or I'll end up paying Jordainian VAT at the airport, so it'll have to be in my hand baggage wrapped in bubble wrap pretending to be second hand so it can't be huge or much over 8 Kg.

Half of me suspects I can't go far wrong with getting a Musical Fidelity M3i, as I've always liked their sound and it's likely to be similar but more weighty than my X-A2. The other half says that I fancy giving Naim a go, either a new 5si or a second hand XS. It seems I'm going to find it hard to find somewhere I can audition both amps and a pair of Tannoy speakers together during christmas week, so I'm really interested to hear advice from anyone who's listened to either amps and my speakers.

I listen to a very wide range of music, largely high res, rock, jazz and classical. I like some warmth to my music, I've never got into the excessively lean sound of Cyrus equipment for example, but also want something that will sound detailed, lively and engaging.

I'm likely to be living in a flat for quite sometime, so I don't need outright oomph, but I am looking for a well rounded, full and detailed sound at low to medium volumes. Also, i'm not looking for lots of features, a volume control and simple source selector is all I need.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can only tell you what I'd prefer, which is the M3i.......If you can't audition, it's probably the safer bet, given your current system.

thecuthbert

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Not the cheapest option, but it's the one I'm leaning towards. One MF dealer has a M-Dac going for £250. I'm tempted to splash out and get them together...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts